Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale in middle of contract

Options
  • 06-02-2016 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question for anyone who knows. What is the story with selling a house when you give out year to year contracts?
    Do you give 112 days notice or do you need to wait till end of contract.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You can't terminate a fixed term contract early. Some PRTB adjudicators hold that you can't give notice during a fixed term! It seems that you have to wait on till the end of the fixed term and then give notice the length of which will depend on how long the letting has lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You can't terminate a fixed term contract early. Some PRTB adjudicators hold that you can't give notice during a fixed term! It seems that you have to wait on till the end of the fixed term and then give notice the length of which will depend on how long the letting has lasted.

Cheers for That.

I do know the rental is in its 4th year but had a recolection that it was set up year to year and when asked about leaving early before that full year would need to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

If you need to sell earlier, you could talk to your tenants and come to an arrangement. They might be amenable, they might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

gaius c wrote: »
    If you need to sell earlier, you could talk to your tenants and come to an arrangement. They might be amenable, they might not.

Hey, no it is for me. I own a house in Limerick but rent one in Kildare!!!!

I just checked with PRTB And they said yes, I cant be given notice with the lease term. They need to give me notice at the end of the lease term with a view to 4 months, or else give 30 days notice towards the end of the lease that it will not be extended.

It is just where I am now there is virtually nothing left after the last 6 months. Trying to buy here at the moment also but as my Mortgage in Limerick is only 5 months old it is difficult yet. Maybe 6 months would help here.

Advertisement