Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v Leicester City - 12:45pm - BT Sport 1

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Just to add. I feel sorry for the few football fans that don't support a team. To not go through the emotions, highs and lows, all the tension and rivalry that goes with it would really lessen the whole thing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

A football fan that doesn't support a club team is out of the ordinary, I don't know of any personally.

Probably depends who you mix with.

The majority of people I know don't support a team in any real sense. We all supported a team when we were younger but many effectively grew out of it. Support now doesn't extend to much more than looking at their results first.

Now it's a case of gravitating to, and taking more interest in, whichever team is,most pleasing to the eye. Which is really as it should be if you look at it logically.

Supporting a football team (in a real sense) has a large faith based element to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

It's weird in the sense that it's out of the ordinary. You're equating sport with all sorts of irrelevant things there, I know you think you're making an interesting point but you're not.

A football fan that doesn't support a club team is out of the ordinary, I don't know of any personally.

Supporting a team doesn't prohibit you watching good football elsewhere btw.

I'm equating football, an entertainment product that's sold by its creators (clubs) as such, with other entertainment products. It's irrelevant in your eyes because you disagree, you're likely emotionally invested in one of these football clubs and so don't want to see the similarity.

It's weird to you, which means nothing. I know lots of people who think the same as me so the fact you don't doesn't mean anything in terms of how weird it is or isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Just to add. I feel sorry for the few football fans that don't support a team. To not go through the emotions, highs and lows, all the tension and rivalry that goes with it would really lessen the whole thing for me.

Your sorrow eases their unimaginable burden

/😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It's weird in the sense that it's out of the ordinary. You're equating sport with all sorts of irrelevant things there, I know you think you're making an interesting point but you're not.

This has seemed to touch a nerve. It indicates that you may be too emotionally involved, why would it annoy you when someone explains why they don't follow a club, but enjoy football? As for feeling sorry for these people because they don't feel the highs and lows, have you thought that people may get their highs and lows elsewhere in life? Anyway, what's wrong about watching football just for the highs (ie, cracking football)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

niallo27 wrote: »
    I wish i was like you but for some reason I let Liverpool ruin my weekend nearly every week now.
    Try being a Villa fan :(

I'm equating football, an entertainment product that's sold by its creators (clubs) as such, with other entertainment products. It's irrelevant in your eyes because you disagree, you're likely emotionally invested in one of these football clubs and so don't want to see the similarity.

It's weird to you, which means nothing. I know lots of people who think the same as me so the fact you don't doesn't mean anything in terms of how weird it is or isn't.

I've no interest in taking this any further if you think it's the same as the cinema or a restaurant.

Well you would know all about that :)
    I nearly fell off my chair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I watch bucket loads of matches and the only team I care about is Ireland.I don't support any club team anymore.I also like watching Basketball, American Football etc and I don't support a team in those sports either.

Sport is just entertainment in spite of the sports media's pretensions that being a sportsman or fan is something better or more honorable than being an Actor Writer or being a fan of TV,Film,Literature etc. the truth is it isn't.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    This has seemed to touch a nerve. It indicates that you may be too emotionally involved, why would it annoy you when someone explains why they don't follow a club, but enjoy football? As for feeling sorry for these people because they don't feel the highs and lows, have you thought that people may get their highs and lows elsewhere in life? Anyway, what's wrong about watching football just for the highs (ie, cracking football)?

Who said I was annoyed? Your armchair psychology is annoying though.

I understand what your saying here, Ive went to AFL, Ice Hockey and Cricket games and while a enjoyable experience, they for me were missing the emotions Id equate with sports I follow.
    That was till I started gambling on them, problem solved :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

A football fan with no allegiance is just weird.

Weirder than a football fan with an allegiance to a club he has zero connection to??

I've actually found myself really becoming emotionally invested in Leicester in the last few games I've seen them play. It's not just about being the plucky underdogs. They play fantastic football and are an absolute joy to watch.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Weirder than a football fan with an allegiance to a club he has zero connection to??

I've actually found myself really becoming emotionally invested in Leicester in the last few games I've seen them play. It's not just about being the plucky underdogs. They play fantastic football and are an absolute joy to watch.

That's where the connection starts, why not support them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Who said I was annoyed? You're armchair psychology is annoying though.

Your line "I know you think you're making an interesting point but you're not" indicates an annoyance with the person you were replying to. There was no provocation from the original poster, just an explanation of his position. Call it armchair psychology if you want, but it's pretty obvious. Certainly in print, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

astonaidan wrote: »
    I understand what your saying here, Ive went to AFL, Ice Hockey and Cricket games and while a enjoyable experience, they for me were missing the emotions Id equate with sports I follow.
    That was till I started gambling on them, problem solved :cool:

But if you don't fully understand or appreciate the intricacies of the sport you are watching (as with watching a sport like AFL, Ice Hockey and Cricket) then obviously it won't be as enjoyable an experience as it would to watch a sport you've watched your entire life, you've probably played and maybe coached and which you have a deep understanding of each minute detail. I don't support Borrusia Monchengladbach or Werder Bremen, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the match last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

That's where the connection starts, why not support them?

Because the connection is only based on their style of play. Should they go on a bad run or change styles due to manager change etc I can't imagine I would bother watching them.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Your line "I know you think you're making an interesting point but you're not" indicates an annoyance with the person you were replying to. There was no provocation from the original poster, just an explanation of his position. Call it armchair psychology if you want, but it's pretty obvious. Certainly in print, anyway.

I wasn't annoyed at all, merely stating how irrelevant that tired old chestnut is in my opinion.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Because the connection is only based on their style of play. Should they go on a bad run or change styles due to manager change etc I can't imagine I would bother watching them.

You'll be amazed at what you can put up with once you invest yourself in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Anyway ,im a liverpool fan but ( and no harm to m c fans) delighted leicester won . Real roy of the rovers stuff

You'll be amazed at what you can put up with once you invest yourself in it.

Just point out the Mayo fans in the aul GAA :pac:
    A few people I know went to New York to watch their games :confused:
    I do understand when they say they dont support a team though, like I know people fanatical about rugby and watch southern/northern hemisphere teams all the time, but dont support any certain team.
    The comparisons made to supporting restaurants and movie producers is just silly

• Advertisement
Advertisement