Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Imogen - Feb 07/08-Strong Winds/High Seas for Southern Areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jenny rennie

Fierce windy the last 30 minutes here in Kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Howling here north cork / Kerry border. Hailstone , lightning and power gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

missfarmer wrote:
    Howling here north cork / Kerry border. Hailstone , lightning and power gone.

I'm in macroom it's absolutely terrifying internal doors starting to vibrate. Impressive wind speeds coming from the fastnet 106knts = 196km how lucky are we that this didn't make landfall further north! Peak around 6-7 so not too far off it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Kinsale Gas rig reported 66knts gust 84. That's up to around 155 kph in gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I hope everyone is ok down there, amazing how different it is to up here in Sligo, recent high gust of 9.8 mph lol. I suppose we are getting a break this time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Sustained winds have definitely increased with gusts higher than at 0200.

Can't locate the handheld anemometer at the moment to take a quick measurement.

Listening to the noises made by this Westerly wind, the forecast for Limerick was correct.

It's lovely lying awake listening to the sound of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Raining here in Carlow but the wind doesn't sound too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Looking at the ESB Powercheck app, Co. Kerry seems to be coming off worst. Mid-Kerry and South Kerry most affected with no faults shown for North Kerry (this may just mean that there are fsults thst haven't been reported to the ESB yet). A lot of faults listed as occurring around 0500.

Co. Cork has a few faults too, relatively close to the Cork Kerry border.

There has been recent lightning activity over Co. Kerry too.

It'll be interesting to read Graces report and description from overnight. Hope she is well tucked up as the Kingdom seems to be taking a bit of a pounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wonder how Graces7 is getting on? I think we needed a break in Galway too, no more than a strong breeze here for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Not a mention of this storm on rte website!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Kinsale energy now gusting to 86 knots -- peak that I noted at Sherkin was 73 a few hours ago. I suppose the energy platform has seen higher gusts in previous events but the conditions are quite extreme and will remain so for several hours.

It looks like the very strong winds have basically made a glancing blow on outer headlands of southwest while avoiding most settled areas, but high tides will bring a risk of storm surge flooding (should not use future tense there as high tides have probably just peaked).

Areas further north (such as Galway) that have been protected by somewhat slacker gradient will see a gradual increase through the morning to about 40 knots gusting to 60, except well to the north (most of Ulster) where it will remain under 30 knots mostly, possibly gusts to 40 mid-day. South coast will gradually equalize with other regions in the 40-60 knot range as the gradient adjusts to filling of the storm's trough. The offshore winds will also decrease very gradually to 45-65 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nabber wrote: »
    Weather is going to happen, wishing for makes no difference.

My house has been flooded twice in 8 years. I live where a river meets the sea. But I still enjoy these events.

Weather has a raw beauty. I see people who get uptight with others for enjoying 'bad' weather, I hope you are helping your local homeless people and not just using their plight as an aide to your argument. That is far worse than the rain. That attitude keeps people homeless, not the weather.

I have problems re armchair weather watchers ie those who rejoice and do nothing..I have family overseas who spend their lives working with the homeless and finding dead folk each winter and it would be totally wonderful to see folk here turning out to help. In Donegal when i was marooned a boardsie actually did that. But that is rare, so rare.. I am too old and ill to do anything more than the fundraising with my crafts. We have had a death here in Kerry; a woman in a group that went mountain walking yesterday of all days and the rescue folk took terrible risks even getting the body in. Each makes their choice but each makes their mind also

Tactical wrote: »
    Nope !

I love them too. The wilder the better :)

Getting out during a decent weather event really opens your eyes to the awesome power of Mother Nature....

Seen far too much death and destruction changes that attitude my friend. Heart is with the myriad homeless around the world and those here without adequate heating. Doing all I can here but little enough. Even opening an outside door here is all but impossible and life is fragile.

Stay away from the snow threads here so. You daren't question peoples love of snow there.....

I do every year! Ask them when they are going out to dig folk out or take supplies to old wans.. Dare indeed! Never get any replies mind you!

I never heard someone called Imogen in my life. What's it from?

Posted this yesterday....Someone on a forum was asking re the name Imogen. This is what Wikipaedia says.. Imogen /ˈɪmədʒən/, or Imogene, is a female given name. It is thought (but not confirmed) to have originated as a misspelling or variation of the name Innogen, from the Old Irish Ingen meaning "maiden" or "girl".
    very old fashioned middle upper class English name

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I'm on the Cork coastline and in clear conditions can normally see the lights on the derricks of both the Kinsale Energy Platforms. The gusts here are outrageous with certainly some damage done to our roof.

Not as bad yet as the storm of Feb 12 2014, but getting close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Still intact here in Kinsale, and amazingly still have power too! (Fingers crossed)
    Still howling here, The gusts sounds heavy, but so far, thankfully trampoline and tunnel have survived. (Bonus!)
    Trees down and debris, Facebook page Cork Safety Alerts lists the roads with issues if anyone needs to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Still intact here in Kinsale, and amazingly still have power too! (Fingers crossed)
    Still howling here, The gusts sounds heavy, but so far, thankfully trampoline and tunnel have survived. (Bonus!)
    Trees down and debris, Facebook page Cork Safety Alerts lists the roads with issues if anyone needs to check.

Morning all... Not had a gale like this since I left Orkney and that one had gusts of 124 MILES an hour. Miracle that there is still power and communications up here. Roof creaking and ears popping with the pressure; I now have vertigo because of it. Ionisation they call it and so near the sea ...Bitterly cold and of course as a pensioner am on very limited heating. Am OK; hardened to it.. but what a storm is this one. Just like Orkney.. Woke singing the Skye Boat Song... and thinking of the Breastplate of Saint Patrick " The whirling winds tempestuous shocks. 5th century that was. Nothing has changed... When I decided time to be up ( cats walking over me yelling for food) said a fervent prayer before trying the light switch... everyone is fed but am not a happy bunny. Seen too much damage in my life. A neighbours hen house up in Orkney just literally took off with all its birds, and flew across the fields. The rocks that were thrown up on the shores... Everone here ie the cats and dog, are fed and safe and that is my work done apart from surviving. Tried putting my head outside and would have had it blown off such is the force out there now. Two nights now with very little sleep.. met ie for Kerry now says West, Storm. South Kerry Mountains 400 asl

I'm on the Cork coastline and in clear conditions can normally see the lights on the derricks of both the Kinsale Energy Platforms. The gusts here are outrageous with certainly some damage done to our roof.

Not as bad yet as the storm of Feb 12 2014, but getting close.

My thoughts exactly and if I were a parent or school bus driver this morning I know what my decision would be. Roof here fine but it is fairly new so creaks are a good sign they say!

• Advertisement

Wonder how Graces7 is getting on? I think we needed a break in Galway too, no more than a strong breeze here for a change.

Thanks all for the concern! Staying the course.. hoping there are no trees down along the lane but An Post will be along this afternoon so will surely let me know...Just is no let up here. Checked kerry coc o twitter and trees down here and in Cork.. wonderful awareness we get these days

Tactical wrote: »
    There could be a lot of election posters relocated overnight! Nasty if one decides to get up close and personal with your windscreen while travelling. ....

All we need is a grinning Healy Rae through the glass. :eek: Good for firewood though!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

O'Callaghan strand in Limerick closed due to flooding, saw it at 7.20 totally impassable and river still above bank height.

Clancy strand park partially flooded too, highest I've seen it. Would have been interesting to see it at high tide. Flood barriers there did their job.

Big waves coming up the Shannon still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Woke to the sound of gusts banging down my chimney and around my roof that I've never heard before here in Kilkenny. They seem to have passed now but raining fiercely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

There are now strange almost musical sounds coming roofwise. I suspect the guttering or downspouts are breaking from their moorings but am certainly not going out to see;decapitation by guttering is not on my agenda! Sounds almost worse out there just now. No mountains. just a wall of white water racing from the west and great trees waving in ancient rhythms. Hunkering down with a refreshed hot water bottle and sweet strong coffee until Imogen has gotten over her spree and departed to wherever storms go to on " time out"..Stay safe and please take care driving; will be debris and wind sheer. I honestly expected there to be a red warning today. Dear God what noise! Ears popping again, would not hear thunder.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Surprisingly a Max gust of just 53km/h overnight. According to the latest TAF forecast for Waterford Airport gusts to 56kt later. Remains to be seen if that comes off but it was accurate for overnight.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Buoy 62023 showing mean wind speeds of 70mph, gusting to 97mph, must be some monster waves off the south coast this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Surprisingly a Max gust of just 53km/h overnight. According to the latest TAF forecast for Waterford Airport gusts to 56kt later. Remains to be seen if that comes off but it was accurate for overnight.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Latest TAF 8am gives the max gust as 45kts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Have no exact figures but was almost as bad as Darwin here in west Kerry .. Darwin had a few more higher wind gusts but this storm lasts way longer .... No sleep here either Graces , glad to hear all is okay

Advertisement