Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Imogen - Feb 07/08-Strong Winds/High Seas for Southern Areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Slept through what I had hoped was the worst of it all but it's still very, very wild outside. Trees bending over but none down yet. The wind has that ominous constant low, growling noise, rising to a shriek whenever a gust hits. Been outside and there seems to be no serious damage so far - and we still have power!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The sustained wind has eased but there are still strong gusts here in West Limerick.

Murky out there with poor visibility during showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Certainly felt like the worse storm of this winter here in Douglas , Cork , lot of items in back garden rearranged this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I was thinking about all the tree's in the recent storms.
    I think most of the old tree's which fell in the last few years,are the weak one's.
    Plant's actually adapt to extreme conditions,they grow to be more flexible.
    The strongest survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Stay safe Graces7. Hope it's easing off a bit for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Finnis Buoy at the Aran Islands still experiencing some huge waves...still up around 4.7m

https://twitter.com/FinnisBuoy/status/696615424927133696

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Big gusts in the last hour in Blarney, lot of sustained wind in between and heavy rain. Good few trees down in this area also. Looks like the worst bit is sitting on us right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Neighbours fence blown down and wheelie bins scattered about. Some election poster haven't fared too well!

Incredible sounding wind at times, but not even a yellow ME warning for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Force 12 at Kinsale platform at 10:00, wind speed 64 kts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Well just a windy night outside Newport, I doubt we even passed 70km on the gusts tbh. Rain has abated a little but the clouds don't look promising so I'd say we're in for another wet day.

Glad your safe and well graces7, hope the sun emerges over you for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very bad in cork now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

We had lost power here in Mid-Kerry between 04:25 until its return at 08:00 ... Just checked my weather station and got a max gust of 93kmh at 5am ....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Stay safe in the badly affected areas, hope we don't get it here in north Kilkenny.
    So far we had nothing exceptional, but things can change, so hopefully they don't.

Pressure is rising fast and winds gusts to just under 70km/hr at about 4m height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 danos

Very high winds here in Glencar co Kerry last night , it turned a steel container on its side , it has been on this spot for at least 15years only one other storm did this before,..Darwin,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Some election poster haven't fared too well!

every storm has a silver lining ... thx Imogen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the concern! Staying the course.. hoping there are no trees down along the lane but An Post will be along this afternoon so will surely let me know...Just is no let up here. Checked kerry coc o twitter and trees down here and in Cork.. wonderful awareness we get these days

Amazed that you kept power throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

For anybody interested in wave heights around Britain & Ireland, this map may be of interest:

http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

See all the huge Dutch factory ships now heading South on Marine Traffic to continue their plunder of our fish stocks now that the storm has passed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

mine went around the same time
    is yours back yet?

Hi monty,

Sorry for the delay but power went then came back, then on and off like a Yoyo. Hopefully has stabilised now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amazed that you kept power throughout.

Almost never any power cuts up here; I think we are on a small circuit as there are so few houses here. Nearest house on the same road and in the other direction two miles. Glad of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Almost never any power cuts up here; I think we are on a small circuit as there are so few houses here. Nearest house on the same road and in the other direction two miles. Glad of that!

Helps a lot with the self healing network.

Have stones the size of a melon in the garden from the waves in the night and a heck of a lot of seaweed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Downgraded to a Status Yellow Wind Warning at midday
    Wind Warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford Westerly winds of mean speeds 50-65 km/h will gust 85-100 km/h this afternoon and evening in southern parts of Munster and Leinster.
    Issued:
    Monday 08 February 2016 12:00
    Valid:
    Monday 08 February 2016 12:00 to Monday 08 February 2016 20:00

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Only just and signs of it dying down here; gale warning still out for coasts of course.. Cannot get warm; two nights without sleep does that to me... There is a list of devastation around Kerry much of it very local. http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-county-council-advising-caution-on-roads-today/ And the wave records; 30 feet.. I know we shouldn't laugh at this! But I did... One of my cats was out and lurking on the bank opposite the front door when I saw him; he is black and white so easily spotted, Of course i opened the door and called to him and he shot off the bank like a bat out of hell... As he crossed the open part in front of the house ( south to north) his whole body was being literally bent in the middle by the gale and he was making poor headway, running like a crab... Never seen the like! He is fine by the way and made me laugh, bless him. But arched like a bow he was. Such power that gale..

Lumi wrote: »
    Downgraded to a Status Yellow Wind Warning at midday

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Still marine orange which is affecting coastal areas and still gales for Kerry on the headline.. STATUS ORANGE

Gale Warning
    Gale force west to northwest winds today on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish Sea, with winds reaching strong gale to storm force for a time this afternoon on coasts from Carnsore Point to Mizen Head to Slyne Head.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Helps a lot with the self healing network.

Have stones the size of a melon in the garden from the waves in the night and a heck of a lot of seaweed!

Self healing network? Ah well seaweed is said to be good for the garden. I have some ready to chop and soak but gathered it in West Cork. Would love to be right on the shore like that though..

weisses wrote: »
    Have no exact figures but was almost as bad as Darwin here in west Kerry .. Darwin had a few more higher wind gusts but this storm lasts way longer .... No sleep here either Graces , glad to hear all is okay

Could not focus on my usual knitting with a book on my lap so have been threading beads , making rosaries and angel keyrings for summer trading.. Will tell the tourists the story of Imogen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bad winters night and day here in South Tipp. Really interesting to see the reports from elsewhere. Nothing exceptional here though just more of the same rain and wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I assume that the 133km/h gust at Sherkin was the strongest recorded by official stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

I think most of the old tree's which fell in the last few years,are the weak one's.
    The strongest survive.

This is very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The strongest survive.

I think the trees falling made people more aware of the danger and any trees that were dangerous were cut down,also the liability of the landowner if a tree from their property fell on a road or someone else's property led to a lot of trees being cut down

Advertisement