Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An estate agent interested in selling?

Options
  • 06-02-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I would like to sell my house.

I've contacted three estate agents.

The first talked a great talk on the telephone & promised to visit during the following week after another viewing at a nearby house. This didn't happen. I texted asking if the agency was still interested in representing us & was texted immediately back & told that she was just about to step into a meeting but would call afterwards. This hasn't happened either.

Agent number two did arrive as planned. He was unsure of pricing as nothing comparable has sold recently or is for sale currently nearby & suggested I might like to consider a suitable value myself. In the meantime he would put a sales strategy in place, email it to me & then we could decided what to do from there. I'm still waiting for the email.

Agent number three was the most prepared. Enthused about the house & how many clients had registered an interest with the agency in buying in our area. The pricing suggested was very broad, two figures were mentioned, €100,000 apart but I was told I have time to think about what to choose as the agency will contact me towards the end of next week. We shall see.

Is this usual?
    It's a long time since I've bought or sold but I would have expected better.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The house must be pretty crap for that to happen. Most agents would bite the arm off a potential vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Baybay

No. Although I did look at two today with a view to buying that fell into that category. But thank you for your insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Are they your only options? Pretty poor all around.
    I'd discount 1 & 2 straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Baybay

April 73 wrote: »
    Are they your only options? Pretty poor all around.
    I'd discount 1 & 2 straight away.

They are three of the big names, albeit local. I'm a bit out of the loop, having lived in my house for a number of years, which is why I wanted to talk to a few agents. Maybe some of the Dublin agents might be more proactive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Sounds like they want to buy it for themselves or let a crony buy it cheap. If there are loads of potential purchasers wishing to buy in the area why wouldn't they register with all agents? Failure to indicate any kind of a value at all is ridiculous. A variation of €100k might be reasonable if the house is a big old period house with ground in a country area. It might be hard to find comparators and in the commuter belt prices are uncertain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement