Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag science VS Home Ec ??

Options
  • 06-02-2016 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have to choose my subjects for leaving cert soon (I'm in 3rd year) and I'm stuck for my 4th subject between ag science and home ec.
    Iv decided to do
    french
    biology
    business

Would ag science be easier to get a high grade compared to home ec?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If by high grade you mean a B3 or higher, let's look at the statistics.
    Home Ec. (about 8000 candidates)
    A1 2.1%
    A2 6.4%
    B1 8.9%
    B2 12.6%
    B3 13.8%
    So, 43.8% or those who took HL Home Ec. got a B3 or Higher.

For Ag. Science (about 6000 candidates)
    A1 4.10%
    A2 6.80 %
    B1 8.80 %
    B2 9.50 %
    B3 9.60%
    So, 38.8% of those who took HL Ag. Science got a B3 or Higher.

So, statistically, you've a better chance in Home Ec..

Of course this doesn't take in the ability levels of those who chose either subject. The practical work in both subjects should give people a better chance, but it seems it doesn't. Perhaps those who do not do well in Ag. Sc., do not submit the practical work.

It's impossible to predict for someone without knowing their work rate, ability and determination to do good practical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

spurious wrote: »
    If by high grade you mean a B3 or higher, let's look at the statistics.
    Biology (about 25000 candidates)
    A1 6.2%
    A2 8.9%
    B1 9.1%
    B2 10.1%
    B3 10.8%
    So, 45.1% or those who took HL Biology, got a B3 or Higher.

For Ag. Science (about 6000 candidates)
    A1 4.10%
    A2 6.80 %
    B1 8.80 %
    B2 9.50 %
    B3 9.60%
    So, 38.8% of those who took HL Ag. Science got a B3 or Higher.

So, statistically, you've a better chance in Biology.

Of course this doesn't take in the ability levels of those who chose either subject. The practical work in Ag. Sc. should give people a better chance, but it seems it doesn't. Perhaps those who do not do well, do not submit the practical work.

It's impossible to predict for someone without knowing their work rate, ability and determination to do good practical work.

Sorry but the choice was between at science and home ec. was it not???

Edited to add: I myself did higher biology. It was ok and probably the easier of the sciences for me. I did chem as well. I don't know anyone who did at science for the leaving but plenty of my friends did home ec. The General consensus (if I can remember.. it was back in 07) was there was a large amount of writing in it. Not sure if it's still like that but that is my input. Best of luck with it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

trixychic wrote: »
    Sorry but the choice was between at science and home e.g. was it not???

I beg your pardon, yes. I will adjust it now. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

spurious wrote: »
    I beg your pardon, yes. I will adjust it now. Thank you.

No probs. Your input will probably help a he'll of alot more than mine. :)

OP. if you have a farming background, or an interest in farming (and access to a farm), do not rule out Ag. Sc. I think the numbers are a bit skewed as you get a lot of city students doing it as an add on when really they don't have an interest in it. The grind busineses enter a lot of people for it. They do not all do well in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭L360

Thanks for the replys.
    I dont come from a farming backround
    but I heard ag science would be an easier subject to learn and do well in compared to home ec. Also that biology would go well with ag science.

I think the Ag. Sc. figures reflect that some people think it's easier to do well in. It's not.

There is quite a bit of overlap between Home Ec. and Biology and between Ag Sc. and Biology. Both Biology and Home Ec. are a lot of writing in the exam, if that might be a factor.

The HE course work gives a small bit of breathing space, but it has to be submitted fairly soon into the start of sixth year, whereas the Ag. Sc. project is much later. Again, these things may or may not be factors for you.

Thanks very much you've helped me a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I remember the Ag. Science teacher in my school told us, when we were wondering about doing the subject for LC, that unless you can name 3 breeds of cattle and 3 breeds of sheep off the top of your head, and unless you live on, or have easy access to, a farm, then you have no business in Ag. Science.

I remember the Ag. Science teacher in my school told us, when we were wondering about doing the subject for LC, that unless you can name 3 breeds of cattle and 3 breeds of sheep off the top of your head, and unless you live on, or have easy access to, a farm, then you have no business in Ag. Science.

Thanks for your reply I think I'm going to go with home ec now as I know nothing about farming and I think I'll find home ec interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement