Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a screen give you a headache?

• 06-02-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one.

I picked this laptop up from Argos on Thursday. I just needed something simple for web browsing and word processing after my previous Dell died a heroic death.

I'm not sure if I am imagining it but I feel the screen is causing me to get a slight headache. Is this possible? I never experienced it before with personal or work laptops/desktops etc. It doesn't feel like a typical throbbing headache but more of an acute annoyance if that makes sense. I have adjusted the screen brightness but it unfortunately made no difference.

Has anyone ever experienced similar? More importantly, I take it that I have no rights to return the laptop (even for store credit) since it has been used etc.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Change the refresh rate of the screen in display options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Change the refresh rate of the screen in display options

It's defaulted at 60Hz with no other options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A few years ago I was noticing I was getting headaches, it was after I got a new laptop, I went to Specsavers and got my eyes tests, turned out I've astigmatism in 1 eye and some laptop screens will give me a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I don't get headaches from screen , but I remember when PC's came out first and I had to get spectacles because the screen was blinding me .

About 2 years later around 1995 , the screens were changed and I was told their was no need to use specs anymore as there was built in protection in the monitors

Would I have any rights to return the laptop based on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Would I have any rights to return the laptop based on this?

No. It's a peculiarity based on you, the laptop would have been sold on the basis of working with 99.99% of the sighted population. It would be best to get your eyes checked, perhaps take the laptop in and see if the optician can give you some guidance.

Now the above is not to suggest that you don't write an email to Argos asking them if they can help you, buts rights wise - it's a nonstarter I'm afraid.

Incidentally, refresh doesn't work the same way it did in the days of CRT which could cause flickering, eye strain and ultimately headaches. A LCD image is fixed unless the image changes, all the refresh allows is for the change to happen more or less based on the Hz (Cycles per second) of the screen. Your issue could be because of some issue with the LCD backlighting. Could you pop in the exact make and model? I'll do some digging for you.

Saw above you linked it - bit of googling yields this.

Really a case of doing more product research before pulling the trigger I'm afraid, but then how are you supposed to know a particular screen gives you headaches to be fair. Argos may help, but they're not really under an obligation to.

Really a case of doing more product research before pulling the trigger I'm afraid, but then how are you supposed to know a particular screen gives you headaches to be fair. Argos may help, but they're not really under an obligation to.

Thanks for the research. The screen type was furthest from my mind to be honest, purely down to my own ignorance.

At least it wasn't the most expensive laptop in the world but it's still a kick in the balls! I'll see how I get on on the next few days.

I'm not saying don't ask them. Also I know it would be something I wouldn't have even thought of checking either.

If you can deal with the hassle of being offered 3 hub caps and a slightly sick sheep in exchange for it, it's worth selling on adverts.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying don't ask them. Also I know it would be something I wouldn't have even thought of checking either.

If you can deal with the hassle of being offered 3 hub caps and a slightly sick sheep in exchange for it, it's worth selling on adverts.

I rang up earlier and they echoed what you said unfortunately. I'll try it over the next few days in varying light conditions to see if it helps.

It's worth emailing their head office. In store they'll always tow the company line on policy. It is possible to get the screen replaced and I know it's a massive pain in the arse (well head) but you might try one of those filters you used to see plastered all over offices in the 90s. You'll look like a hipster but what can you do? :pac:

Probably not the most helpful or practical solution but most laptops these days have a hdmi port so you could hook it up to your tv or better still an actual pc monitor

It's worth emailing their head office. In store they'll always tow the company line on policy. It is possible to get the screen replaced and I know it's a massive pain in the arse (well head) but you might try one of those filters you used to see plastered all over offices in the 90s. You'll look like a hipster but what can you do? :pac:

I might give it a go (sending the email, not becoming a hipster!).
    Probably not the most helpful or practical solution but most laptops these days have a hdmi port so you could hook it up to your tv or better still an actual pc monitor

That's not a bad idea. My plan was to build a decent desktop in the coming year or two so the monitor might be a wise first purchase, albeit earlier than planned.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Bit of a strange one.

I picked this laptop up from Argos on Thursday. I just needed something simple for web browsing and word processing after my previous Dell died a heroic death.

I'm not sure if I am imagining it but I feel the screen is causing me to get a slight headache. Is this possible? I never experienced it before with personal or work laptops/desktops etc. It doesn't feel like a typical throbbing headache but more of an acute annoyance if that makes sense. I have adjusted the screen brightness but it unfortunately made no difference.

Has anyone ever experienced similar? More importantly, I take it that I have no rights to return the laptop (even for store credit) since it has been used etc.?

Thanks.

You should try flux software, it has saved my eyes and stopped my headaches.
    https://justgetflux.com

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Wow, thanks again. That has fixed it!

No more buyer's remorse.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Wow, thanks again. That has fixed it!

No more buyer's remorse.:)

No problem, I wish more people knew software like that existed.

Advertisement