Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Draft Question

• 06-02-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I've done a deal to sell my car and the guy wants to give me an Ulster Bank bank draft for €9,400 on Tuesday evening after work,

for peace of mind should I ring Ulster Bank with the draft number and amount before he arrives, will they confirm it?

if so do I need to contact the branch it came from?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Even if the draft is verified by Ulster Bank, it can still be cancelled. They also take time to clear. I'd look for cash or a bank transfer, much safer IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

That was going to be my second question.. can he drive away with my car and cancel the draft the next day!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The only time I'd be taking a bank draft for a car purchase is if you're actually going into the bank with him when he buys it, and then going straight to your own bank and lodging it. Otherwise cash or bank transfer is the best way. He could always go into his bank and claim the draft was lost or stolen, and then it could be cancelled.

Where do you bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

BOI...

I'm going to ask for cash!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Probably best. If they have time to go down to get a bank draft they'll have time to get cash. A transfer would take 24 hours to go through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement