Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 62 Job Seeker Allowance

• 06-02-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Anyone in this position . Do you only have to sign once a year and get money paid directly to your bank account . Do they still check that you are looking for work etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Anyone in this position . Do you only have to sign once a year and get money paid directly to your bank account . Do they still check that you are looking for work etc ?

62 is the age when they will only consider you a job seeker if you ask to be considered as such. I think you'll still need to collect at the post office unless you can provide mitigating circumstances. But you won't be chased after with CE schemes nor otherwise nuisanced. You know yourself, there are 62 year olds that could beat the **** out of me and 62 year olds that need help across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I think you will have to sign on once a month and collect at the PO every week. But if you get on a course you will not have to do this and the money will be paid into your account. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭rgossip30

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/older_jobseekers.html

The link above shows the arrangement for over 62 job seekers .You sign only once a year and the money is paid into the bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭hawthorne

You do not have to take part in any courses.
    But you still have to look for work and keep proof of this.
    They will check on you on a regular basis. If you do not genuinely seek work and be available for full-time employment you will not qualify anymore for JA and get no more money.

hawthorne wrote: »
    You do not have to take part in any courses.
    But you still have to look for work and keep proof of this.
    They will check on you on a regular basis. If you do not genuinely seek work and be available for full-time employment you will not qualify anymore for JA and get no more money.

Are you in this position or know someone ? How do you know this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Here is a very short document from a very reliable website which the SW website links too. Read it through to the end, it's not long

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/older_jobseekers.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Are you in this position or know someone ? How do you know this ?

I certainly know a few who are in that postion.
    As further proof just have a look at the links provided above.

Quote:

"Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers."

The condition to look actively for work was not removed from those over 62.
    Just the condition to take part in courses.

You really have to keep looking for work like the rest of those on JA.
    Or you will be cut off.

Last paragraph in this departmental link makes it clear where Joan Burton stands on the subject. Paid straight to the bank, no activation related sanctions and sign once a year.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/pdf/pr231013.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

hawthorne wrote: »
    I certainly know a few who are in that postion.
    As further proof just have a look at the links provided above.

Quote:

"Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions continue to apply to all jobseekers."

The condition to look actively for work was not removed from those over 62.
    Just the condition to take part in courses.

You really have to keep looking for work like the rest of those on JA.
    Or you will be cut off.

Before the changes easing up on those 62 up to pension age they were regularly brought in to produce evidence of what work they were seeking and suggestions and stronger re courses were put to them. Since the changes those 62 up to pension age are, as the guidelines state, not expected to take up training, though training is open to them (and things like CE schemes if they are eligible, avoids means testing). In practice, they are not regularly contacted to make checks on their work-seeking efforts. In essence, staying in the country apart from the allowed holidays and keeping an eye on the jobs market and putting in applications now and then suffices. The employers anxious to have those aged 62+ are not exactly plenty on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

Hi,

I know someone in this position. They do only have to sign once a year - usually in December and get paid at the Post Office every week (although I think getting paid into Bank Account may be an option for over 62's).

This person has not been called in to any meetings to provide evidence of Job Searching (yet), but was called into a meeting where they were quizzed on Bank Accounts/Savings etc.

• Advertisement

CarrieLee wrote: »
    Hi,

I know someone in this position. They do only have to sign once a year - usually in December and get paid at the Post Office every week (although I think getting paid into Bank Account may be an option for over 62's).

This person has not been called in to any meetings to provide evidence of Job Searching (yet), but was called into a meeting where they were quizzed on Bank Accounts/Savings etc.

I did get a letter a year ago to show bank accounts when I was 59 years. I d attended the Intreo job search program for 6 months .I also had to show that I was looking for work after I finished the program .
    I know when I was applying for JSA they wanted to know where 300 euro came from . This was a back dated payment but the Welfare Officer was almost jumping out of her seat and going into spasm as where it came from Such dedication !!

I did get a letter a year ago to show bank accounts when I was 59 years. I d attended the Intreo job search program for 6 months .I also had to show that I was looking for work after I finished the program .
    I know when I was applying for JSA they wanted to know where 300 euro came from . This was a back dated payment but the Welfare Officer was almost jumping out of her seat and go9 ing into spasm as where it came from Such dedication !!

The cut off is 62. At 59 you'll be treated like a 29 year old (especially by failed detectives like your seatjumper). And you will always meet idiots who forget the guideline / rule (they'll also forget that 24 and under get €100 pw not €188 leading to overpayments).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement