Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays and pregnancy

Options
  • 06-02-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First pregnancy so am a bit clueless!

I am expecting twins, due on the 22nd of August- all going well.

Can anyone give me an idea of what stage I can fly up until, or even an idea of what sort of holidays are appropriate in pregnancy.

We tend to have quite active holidays, lots of hiking and swimming and stuff so guessing that will be a no no this year!

Just looking for ideas really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm not sure about the dates for flying with twins but on my single pregnancy last time (and again this time) my consultsnt said I can fly up to 32 weeks. Both pregnancies were/ have been pretty straightforward.

Last time around I went on a sailing holiday when I was 24/26 weeks- my friends are into sailing and I went along as the cook on the yacht. It was a good trip but I'm not sure I'd do that particular type of sailing holiday again. We travelled around the Ballaerics and the distances are pretty big and the seas tidal. There were a few times where I was getting concerned about bumping the bump. Also as the week went on getting on and off the boat using the ladder got trickier.
    The previous year we had sailed around the Croatian islands and it was much more sedate and coastal sailing so easier all around.
    I took a few short weekend breaks too- Stockholm, Brussels, the North of Spain and they were great fun but did get harder as the pregnancy progressed. I gave up flying (of my own accord) at 30 weeks.

Talk it over with your consultant and see what they advise. A few mini moons in Ireland would be fun too.
    I'm 23 weeks now and we're off to Lanzarote at the end of February for a week and then have an over nighter at the end of April booked for a WinePort Lodge. Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Depending on the airline really, and where you're going. I flew at about 32 weeks to Austria (with a letter from my doc, as I was over 28 weeks) and did a good bit of hiking in the snow in the alps around South Tyrol. If you're fit and you are continuing to keep up your exercise, no reason why you can't keep going! A swimming holiday sounds perfect tbh, it's considered a really great exercise for pregnant women. I'm going to be going to a ski resort while 20 weeks this year, and am very tempted to ski while there. Will see what I feel like at the time.

Surprisingly ferry travel is a no-no. I was all set to book in June, but you cannot travel after 32 weeks in the pregnancy. Flying is the way to go. I think you can fly up to 36 weeks with most airlines (check with the airline first!)

See how you feel at the time, if you go somewhere with a plan B sorted (like you stay at the pool while everyone else is off gallivanting) you won't be under pressure to complete all the tasks.

Advertisement