Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New neighbours dog

• 06-02-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I live in a small country village and we've recently had a new neighbour move in. She has a large dog, who at the beginning was constantly howling through the day and night as he was shut away at the back of her house. This howling of course started the other neighbourhood dogs to bark. This went on for about two weeks solid before the howling stopped. We thought maybe she had rehomed the dog.

I walk past the house each morning and the dog is now tied by a chain at the front of the house day and night. I didn't think much of it as I was always in a rush to get to work, however I've noticed he doesn't have any shelter and he is shivering. My heart is breaking for him , my question is is this enough grounds to get the main animal welfare organisation (don't know if rescue names can be mentioned) to speak with the owner? Many of other other neighbours have commented on the situation but as our neighbourhood is so small nobody wants to say anything. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I know it's a tricky situation and no one wants to be the "trouble-maker" but the poor dog can't speak for himself, despite having tried for a couple of weeks. A while ago there was a dog welfare ad on TV which portrayed a dog left outside in all weather, no shelter, rubbish food, cold, wet, neglected and abused. I know it was an ad but it was designed to send a message that's very hard to ignore. If we care about animals then we have to do something, otherwise we're turning a blind eye and enabling the shoddy treatment of this animal and others like him, to continue. I know it's easier said than done but someone has to step forward, if she can't be reasoned with or reacts badly, then fire ahead with the animal welfare people and be prepared to stand up to her. I wish you all well, I hope something can change for the poor thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

"Adequate food and shelter" is usually the excuse given for the authorities not doing anything - if he's tied up like you'd say I'd report it. Poor dog and poor neighbours :(
    ..I'm listening to my neighbour's dog out barking atm - Bailey a bit upset about it and won't settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Juran

You should def report to local animal welfare, they will treat it confidental, they will not say who reported the welfare issue. That dog owner should not have a dog or any animal full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Thank you both for your advice. I think I will call the welfare group. My own two dogs sleep inside at night and even they were going crazy at the sound of the dog howling a few doors up, my dogs even have their coats put on when they go outside. I really do feel for him he's a beautiful dog, I don't know if the girl is approachable because she doesn't interact with anyone along the line so I don't know how she would react. I can't say if he has water left out for him because I didn't look but before I contact the rescue I'll be sure to double check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

The fact he is tied up should make the ispca act. They ignore dogs being kept outdoors solitary once being fed but being tied is a no no as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

That's what I was thinking. In fairness though he doesn't look under weight so she's at least feeding him, he just always looks so miserable :(

Advertisement