Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE cameraman attacked by Gardai

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Just because Gardai are allowed to tell people to leave, doesn't mean we can't object to cases in which they shouldn't. Protests should be allowed to happen unless they turn violent, not just shut down because they might.

Doesn't the article state that they were preventing peaceful protesters being attacked after they were chased into a shop.
    They may not be nice people but they have as much right under law as gay rights advocates etc to be protected from physical violence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I get the Guards do a tough job but some of them are definitely just pumped up and too willing to lash out in these situations. There are people on here who would defend the Guards if they were caught on camera pistol whipping a child for robbing sweets.

The guy had a camera on his shoulder and his back to the Guard. The Guard had to break his line to get to him. He wasn't running at the cordon with a petrol bomb. There's another video of same cameraman getting a good whack across the leg.

Berserker wrote: »
    ..........The police are there to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation. .......

So gesturing to them to come on is diffusing how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Did you see the footage?

The protestor attacked a shop with violence, seriously?

At this stage it was in fact a contained riot. The gardai had pushed people intent on physical harm of a (non violent ) protest, a mob that chased guys down a street and into the shop. This happened after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So out of a line of batton weilding guards why was only one guard swinging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did you see the footage?

The protestor attacked a shop with violence, seriously?
    The video I saw on the 6:01 showed them chasing a group into the euro Giant and some kind of scuffle going on inside. The Gardaí pulled them all out by the scruffs of their necks, the odd baton slap on those trying to advance into the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Jesus Christ.

People have a right to protest. There's no indication from the article or the video that anyone was being violent other than the Gardai who decided pre-emptively that no protest would be allowed.

No . no they dont . its this sort of lack of understanding that results in so many stupid internet conversations

In Ireland there is a right to peace full assemble not the right to protest.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/constitution_fundamental_rights.html

If you watched the full videos then you would see that the whole thing was far from peacefull

Collie D wrote: »
    There are people on here who would defend the Guards if they were caught on camera pistol whipping a child for robbing sweets...

And there are people on here who would have a go at the Guards if they were caught on camera looking the wrong way at a serial killer.

Is it 1 all on the silly exaggerations?

JJayoo wrote: »
    So out of a line of batton weilding guards why was only one guard swinging?

Because he's a w@nker.
    when he stopped swinging he gestured to the crowd (some of them) to come on :)

Clearly he does a bit of MMA in his spare time and was chomping at the bit to get stuck in, grade A w@nker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

TheChizler wrote: »
    The video I saw on the 6:01 showed them chasing a group into the euro Giant and some kind of scuffle going on inside. The Gardaí pulled them all out by the scruffs of their necks, the odd baton slap on those trying to advance into the shop.

They were attacking people in a shop with innocent shoppers and workers.

Tell me what the gards should have done?

And there are people on here who would have a go at the Guards if they were caught on camera looking the wrong way at a serial killer.

Is it 1 all on the silly exaggerations?

Nice selective quoting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Pull them out by the scruffs of their necks and the odd slap with a baton of they continue to advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

masti123 wrote: »
    Member of the Gardaí loses the run of himself and attacks a member of the press, and the consensus is he must have had good reason to do it.
    Yep, boards is still boards.

Thankfully yes. I saw the video. It sounded like people being told to keep back and refusing. RTE cameraman was far too close. Others were driven back with a single blow. A small line of Gardai keeping one group of idiots from another group of idiots and trying to keep the streets safe. Nothing surprising in the comments and thanks from those who think policing these situations is a matter for squealing "why can't we all get on". PC bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

At this stage it was in fact a contained riot. The gardai had pushed people intent on physical harm of a (non violent ) protest, a mob that chased guys down a street and into the shop. This happened after that.

Yes a mob of "tolerant" left wing protestors using violence and intimidation against those with opposing views.

Who are the real fascists here?

Nice selective quoting...

Huh?

It was a direct quote. If you think you left an open goal, bit late now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Mourinho wrote: »
    Yes a mob of "tolerant" left wing protestors using violence and intimidation against those with opposing views.

Who are the real fascists here?

My irony meter is in pieces not sure it's repairable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you d be surprised what adrenaline does ta yea

Just because Gardai are allowed to tell people to leave, doesn't mean we can't object to cases in which they shouldn't. Protests should be allowed to happen unless they turn violent, not just shut down because they might.

I suppose this apply s to you being pissed at 4 am standing in the middle of the road ?

Just because you dont agree with being told to do something doesn't mean you have the right to stand in the street and argue with gardai about it

self entitled T$&T

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The guard must have thought the cameraman belonged to the group attacking the protesters. See's the cameraman with his back to him and thinks to himself "I'll have a bit of that".

Straight out of the junior hurling playbook. As soon as the back is turned give him a good hard flake, step back and start goading like a hard shaw.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Not hit a cameraman perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I had a good laugh at all the communist flags present at the rally. These people have no self awareness do they?

Hey dim witted RTE camera boy

As you read this I'm laughing at your squealing

'You can't hit cameras' 'camera' 'you can't hit cameras'

Well today was a lesson in law and order for you

Camera people can be hit, legally

Next time a Garda or Gardai repeatedly instruct you, try complying with their direction

Now go change your ice pack, fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

His camera is still reeling from the blow
    Might never work again.

Huh?

It was a direct quote. If you think you left an open goal, bit late now!

You ignored the bit where I said I appreciate the job they do. I don't instantly have a go at the Guards. This was one was called as I saw it...one Guard with too much adrenaline.

You've lost me with the football analogy.

You ignored the bit where I said I appreciate the job they do. I don't instantly have a go at the Guards. This was one was called as I saw it...one Guard with too much adrenaline.

You've lost me with the football analogy.

Nice selective editing.

You also made a general comment about posters here, not just about one Garda.

Check out the bit I quoted above.

my friend wrote: »
    Hey dim witted RTE camera boy

As you read this I'm laughing at your squealing

'You can't hit cameras' 'camera' 'you can't hit cameras'

Well today was a lesson in law and order for you

Camera people can be hit, legally

Next time a Garda or Gardai repeatedly instruct you, try complying with their direction

Now go change your ice pack, fool.

You sure about that? What defines a camera person by the way? Can I batter the next person who stands in front of me at a gig with his/her iPhone in the air and obscuring my view?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    I suppose this apply s to you being pissed at 4 am standing in the middle of the road ?

Just because you dont agree with being told to do something doesn't mean you have the right to stand in the street and argue with gardai about it

self entitled T$&T

Well, actually you do (within reason of course). Although we seem to be heading towards it we don't yet live in a police state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

As someone who in a different life was in a few pretty nasty rows involving up to 40 people, it's hard to expect ALL Gardai to behave perfectly. When in such a situation one needs to be pretty pumped to be useful.

Our newer rational brain has a really hard time controlling our ancient brain when we are pumped.

Act the cnut in a large group on a city street and you have it coming; in saying that while cameraman was stupid not sure he needed the baton.

One garda was an a$$hole the rest behaved with restraint.

You sure about that? What defines a camera person by the way? Can I batter the next person who stands in front of me at a gig with his/her iPhone in the air and obscuring my view?

There's no protection for 'camera people' do you have difficulty with basic comprehension

Camera person = member of the public

Nice selective editing.

You also made a general comment about posters here, not just about one Garda.

Check out the bit I quoted above.

I said some posters. And I didn't edit anything?!

• Advertisement

There is a big difference between a Garda directing a crowd to disperse to prevent what he perceives as a threat to public order and reacting to someone using an iPhone.

There's no protection for 'camera people' do you have difficulty with basic comprehension

Camera person = member of the public

You said they can be hit legally. My comprehension is fine. Maybe you should word it better. And I'm pretty sure Guards can't lash out like that legally.

You said they can be hit legally. My comprehension is fine. Maybe you should word it better. And I'm pretty sure Guards can't lash out like that legally.

You part quoted, but as already displayed by you we understand you have comprehension difficulties . Try reading my posts in their entirety.

Noted you are the only one struggling here. I'll go kindly by ignoring you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Reads OP and before clicking Youtube link thinks to oneself. Bet its a mountain being made out of a molehill as usual in these 'Garda Brutality' videos...

.....YEP!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was Robocop there?

You part quoted, but as already displayed by you we understand you have comprehension difficulties . Try reading my posts in their entirety.

Noted

I fully quoted and bolded the piece I believed to be invalid. You said cameramen can be hit legally. I don't think Guards have a legal right to hit out like that - hardly reasonable force. So instead of getting personal and trying to speak down to me why don't you back it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If a a situation is escalating the gardaí have the right to order protesters to leave the vicinity. If the gardaí are only allowed to step in after the protest has turned violent there would be a lot more injuries and damage to property.

JRant wrote: »
    Well, actually you do (within reason of course). Although we seem to be heading towards it we don't yet live in a police state.

show me where ? with a link or post or anything ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Try that in Texas.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Try that in Texas.
    Try it in Germany, or any other European state. When a guard orders you to leave you leave. These guys have a very difficult job to do.

I fully quoted and bolded the piece I believed to be invalid. You said cameramen can be hit legally. I don't think Guards have a legal right to hit out like that - hardly reasonable force. So instead of getting personal and trying to speak down to me why don't you back it up?

Let's go again,

Camera man says: 'you can't hit cameras' 'camera' 'you can't hit cameras'

Garda hits camera man

Camera man = no special privileges

Follow Garda instructions

Repeatedly camera man was instructed to move back, he was acting as a buffer (perhaps unintentionally, perhaps not)

When you fail to follow repeated instructions from a member of an Garda Siochana they are entitled to use force

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Try it in Germany, or any other European state. When a guard orders you to leave you leave. These guys have a very difficult job to do.

Umm, yes I know. That's sort of the point! :D

mynamejeff wrote: »
    show me where ? with a link or post or anything ?

Here in Ireland, where did you think I was talking about?

Extract from the Public Order Act

Read it.

Failure to comply with direction of member of Garda Síochána.

8.—(1) Where a member of the Garda Síochána finds a person in a public place and suspects, with reasonable cause, that such person—

(a) is or has been acting in a manner contrary to the provisions of section 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 or 9 , or

(b) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

the member may direct the person so suspected to do either or both of the following, that is to say:

(i) desist from acting in such a manner, and

(ii) leave immediately the vicinity of the place concerned in a peaceable or orderly manner.

(2) It shall be an offence for any person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, to fail to comply with a direction given by a member of the Garda Síochána under this section.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Gardai broke no laws today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Amazed by the reaction here , whatever about a protester,hitting a camera man is quite sinister.

Regardless of what would happen in Texas or anywhere else. How is that an argument, oh in other countries they are much worse. I think in most cases the Gardai have a much better relationship with the public then in other countries because they don't usually react violently. I don't think Texas is something to admire.

I think in most other countries the police would have been a little better organised, riot gear, perhaps. They look like complete clowns gesturing to people to have a go. Completely unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, it was nothing. He hit the camera, the camera man moved.
    Someone's latte got spilled, hipsters turned on the police, some journo wrote a piece.
    SSDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Running off the line his colleagues have established to hit people with a baton. The people were away from the main line. This guy was running at people assaulting them with a baton.

Any civilian would be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Amazed by the reaction here , whatever about a protester,hitting a camera man is quite sinister.

Regardless of what would happen in Texas or anywhere else. How is that an argument, oh in other countries they are much worse. I think in most cases the Gardai have a much better relationship with the public then in other countries because they don't usually react violently. I don't think Texas is something to admire.

I think in most other countries the police would have been a little better organised, riot gear, perhaps. They look like complete clowns gesturing to people to have a go. Completely unprofessional.

In Texas the "gesture" is a .38 hollowpoint. And whether you admire it or not is neither here nor there.

The man ignored repeated nstruction. The guards have every right to enforce their instruction with violence. Being a cameraman does not or should not confer any special treatment.

Extract from the Public Order Act

Read it.

Failure to comply with direction of member of Garda Síochána.

8.—(1) Where a member of the Garda Síochána finds a person in a public place and suspects, with reasonable cause, that such person—

(a) is or has been acting in a manner contrary to the provisions of section 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 or 9 , or

(b) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

the member may direct the person so suspected to do either or both of the following, that is to say:

(i) desist from acting in such a manner, and

(ii) leave immediately the vicinity of the place concerned in a peaceable or orderly manner.

(2) It shall be an offence for any person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, to fail to comply with a direction given by a member of the Garda Síochána under this section.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Gardai broke no laws today

Where does it say he can swing his baton at him? Your last post mentions reasonable force. That isn't even mentioned in the extract above. If the cameraman failed to comply with a Garda order arrest him if necessary. At no point did the cameraman do anything to provoke the reaction he got - which isn't covered in that extract anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement