Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Alex Song good enough to play for a top 4 side

• 06-02-2016 11:24pm

I think he is, still young at 28

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Leicester?

Was thinking more along the lines of United, chelsea maybe even liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nah he'd never get in ahead of Henderson or Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Nope watched him today and found it hard to believe he got a game for Arsenal and then Barca.

I was shocked at how poor he was, now it could be motivation but he can barely get a game for West Ham at 28.

So China are looking for players.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Nope watched him today and found it hard to believe he got a game for Arsenal and then Barca.

I was shocked at how poor he was, now it could be motivation but he can barely get a game for West Ham at 28.

So China are looking for players.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arsenal fan here - For years Song flattered to deceive: He has/had lots of ability but a poor attitude. He had the makings of a top class powerful defensive/central midfielder who could also chip in now and again with an assist or a goal or two. The final season for him at Arsenal sums it up: He provided a number of excellent balls for Van Persie that led to goals - Liverpool away, Dortmund at home are two fhat spring to mind - and people thought he could be the real deal. Unfortunately, so did Alexander himself. So for all the times he provided the ammunition for the forwards, there was umpteem times where he was caught dawdling on the ball whilst in Xavi-mode, losing it when badly out of position and without having the game-awareness to react; the day Arsenal sold him was a day in which they did a good bit of business. He can still look like a great player when he fancies it, but he's far to inconsistent to be worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nah he'd never get in ahead of Henderson or Lucas.

I thought the same when I read it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

"Top 4 side"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'd be delighted if he joined liverpool. I'm not saying we're a top4 side, but we're challenging for top4(just doing it very badly). Although I like Lucas, he lacks in the creativity dept. which is one of Song's strengths.

When Song left Arsenal, they struggled to replace him imo, and only until Coquelin suddenly became good when he returned from loan did they replace him. I think Song did what most players would do, in going to Barca when offered, and he struggled like most midfielders do when joining a team with the likes of Xavi and Busquets in central midfield. He's still good enough imo.

Would he start for Liverpool? Given Milner and Henderson's form of late, definitely. In the long run, I think he could alternate with Lucas as a our DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anyone is good enough if they get picked to play. Top 4 sides could do better though. Always strikes me as a guy who will do OK to a certain level but not to be a main man.

"Top 4" seems fairly arbitrary these anyway. Does that exclude Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

When Song left Arsenal, they struggled to replace him imo, and only until Coquelin suddenly became good when he returned from loan did they replace him. I think Song did what most players would do, in going to Barca when offered, and he struggled like most midfielders do when joining a team with the likes of Xavi and Busquets in central midfield. He's still good enough imo.
    Song is an awful defensive midfielder. He got some praise in that last season because he got a few assists for van Persie to score some spectacular volleys, but he wasn't good enough.His positional play and discipline are flat-out poor. There's the guts of a good box-to-box midfielder in there, but I don't understand why you think Arsenal struggled to replace him - he was part of that struggle, he was as bad a defensive midfielder as any we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

He has a lot of ability, but sometimes makes silly decisions and is far too inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Well he played ~30 PL games per season for 4 seasons at Arsenal and they came top 4 each time, so you'd have to say he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There were also rumours that he was the source of dressing room grief in his final season at Arsenal. As the other Arsenal fans earlier stated he flattered to deceive, tbh I think his few good performances went to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He has all the skills, both on the ball and defensively, but he's turning into a bit of a stroller at West Ham. Seems to find an excuse to not sprint far too often for my liking. Still just about good enough for a top four side probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

He's not even food enough for West Ham imo

Could have been good if he worked hard

But he didn't.

You'd be more shocked if he moved to a good side than if he moved to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

I'd be disappointed if we signed him. He had a good first half of the season when he arrived last year, lifted the players around him, but his form and fitness soon dropped off.

This season he's been lazy, slow on the ball and cares more about hiking up his shorts than passing a ball to feet.

He's still a good player, but there are plenty of better options out there and i think he'd struggle to get selected in a top team any more.

Advertisement