Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing primrose from seed

Options
  • 06-02-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Has anyone had much success with sewing primula from seed?

I got some seed packets of primula and have seen them in seed trays.

The instruction are a little confusing, it says not to cover them as they need light to germinate, the next sentence then says cover them with cover of soil. It also mentions leaving them in a damp area with a small amount of light.

Anyway, so far after a few weeks there is no sign of life, I'm wondering am o doing something wrong somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Don't cover means with a plastic lid or bag
    Pressed into the soil should be sufficient to germinate
    Id leave them somewhere north-facing as not to dry out from direct sunlight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Primulas are a bit slow to germinate, but they are also happier outdoors I think. It may also have been the wrong time of year to sow them, when did you sow them? have you had them in the warmth of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

looksee wrote: »
    Primulas are a bit slow to germinate, but they are also happier outdoors I think. It may also have been the wrong time of year to sow them, when did you sow them? have you had them in the warmth of the house?

Yeah Iv just sewn them a couple of weeks ago, the packaging said early spring so maybe I jumped the gun a bit? Will earlier seeing lead to them. It germinating? Iv had them in a room that had no heating on near a north facing window. Iv read that they prefer a cold damp situation with a small amount of light, so that's what Iv done!

Advertisement