Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv wont turn on, please advise

Options
  • 07-02-2016 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

So last night I connected my vaio laptop to the tv (sharp) via hdmi cable as kids wanted to watch a movie. All was fine - disconnected it when finished and turned off. This morning I can't turn the tv on its just black screen. The red light is on but nothing happens on the screen. I disconnected all cabes for a few minutes but nothing.
    I need to mention I dont have a vpn and this was the first time doing this.
    Is my tv gone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

When you turn on the TV can you see what source is selected? Perhaps you need to toggle this. Does the screen come on and stay black or does it not power on at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What make is the TV?

What is your normal source for TV? (Sky/Virgin/Sat box)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I echo the people above.

What happens when you connect the laptop and try and play something?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

FrostyJim wrote: »
    When you turn on the TV can you see what source is selected? Perhaps you need to toggle this. Does the screen come on and stay black or does it not power on at all?

I cant see as the screen is black. The little red light on the bottom of screen suggests power goes in. But I cant get anything on the screen. By remote or manually trying to turn it on at the side. Ive pressed every button possible. Theres a manual switch on the side and when I turn ir on there's a click but the screen remains black.

What make is the TV?

What is your normal source for TV? (Sky/Virgin/Sat box)

Sharp not a smart tv
    I have free to air box hooked up by hdmi cable and that works fine

• Advertisement

I echo the people above.

What happens when you connect the laptop and try and play something?

Havent tried that yet as I am afraid that broke it like a virus or something

iPearly wrote: »
    I cant see as the screen is black. The little red light on the bottom of screen suggests power goes in. But I cant get anything on the screen. By remote or manually trying to turn it on at the side. Ive pressed every button possible. Theres a manual switch on the side and when I turn ir on there's a click but the screen remains black.

So the red light flashes and then disappears? Or does it flash and then go back to solid red? Usually these lights go off when the TV actually comes on.

If its not actually coming on it may be a blown capacitor. Cheap to replace but you would ideally need to get someone who knows what they are doing or at least someone with a soldering pen.

What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Don't worry about virus,could not be sent via hdmi and could not affect TV.

Is the free to air box powered on and connected via hdmi?

Can you see "input" button on remote?

So the red light flashes and then disappears? Or does it flash and then go back to solid red? Usually these lights go off when the TV actually comes on.

If its not actually coming on it may be a blown capacitor. Cheap to replace but you would ideally need to get someone who knows what they are doing or at least someone with a soldering pen.

What model is it?
    The light is red when tv is not turned on but powered
    Normally if u turn it on it turns green, in this case that doesn't happen.
    Sharp lc 40 le600e

Don't worry about virus,could not be sent via hdmi and could not affect TV.

Is the free to air box powered on and connected via hdmi? Yes it goes from the box to tv.
    Antenna from outside to the box
    The box is working as it displays channels etc

Can you see "input" button on remote?

Yes but nothing hapens when I press it

• Advertisement

The light is red when tv is not turned on but powered
    Normally if u turn it on it turns green, in this case that doesn't happen.
    Sharp lc 40 le600e

Sounds like you need to find a TV repairer in your area. Have you changed where it is plugged in? Some TVs don't like extension leads and won't power on from them.

Just did and nothing-hooked up the laptop

sugarman wrote: »
    Your power supply is gone.

All I did was google your model number and hundreds of results turned up!

Is that fixable? Im just glad that I didnt destroy it with popcorn

Is that fixable? Im just glad that I didnt destroy it with popcorn

Nothing you played on your laptop could have broke it. Its no different than plugging in a DVD player as far as the TV is concerned. Only thing that gets transferred along the HDMI cable is audio/video.

Nothing you played on your laptop could have broke it. Its no different than plugging in a DVD player as far as the TV is concerned. Only thing that gets transferred along the HDMI cable is audio/video.

Thanks very much. For ALL your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I fix TVs in my spare time. Here is my two cents.

1) Are you sure that the TV is getting the power on signal. Is it possible the batteries are gone in the remote. Have you tried the buttons on the side to power it on (usually hitting P+ will turn the telly on without the remote).

2) When you try the above, do you hear anything clicking from the back of the TV

3) Is it possible that you damaged the HDMI port taking out the cable?

It could well be a PSU issue like was mentioned already but I would certainly check the above before proceeding.

I fix TVs in my spare time. Here is my two cents.

1) Are you sure that the TV is getting the power on signal. Is it possible the batteries are gone in the remote. Have you tried the buttons on the side to power it on (usually hitting P+ will turn the telly on without the remote).
    Yes - done all that

2) When you try the above, do you hear anything clicking from the back of the TV
    No clicking but the light comes on

3) Is it possible that you damaged the HDMI port taking out the cable?
    No checked that too.
    It could well be a PSU issue like was mentioned already but I would certainly check the above before proceeding.

Got a reputable tv repairman look at it and he said the panel went. No point fixing as tv is 6 years old.
    Gave the broken tv to a friend to play with.
    If he gets itto work ill be pissed with the repairman as I just bought 50 sony android tv

Thanks for ur help:)

Advertisement