Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city absolutely booming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

According to John Fitzgerald, http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/202306/John-Moran---Limerick-can.html , over 6,000 jobs have been created in the region in the last 3 years, 29 major construction projects are currently underway...this is a strong recovery in any mans book! I imagine that includes Shannon.

Half the companies in Raheen/Shannon/Castletroy/Annacotty are locally owned, there is a large Engineering/Manufacturing base of companies that are the spawn of all the different FDI over the years, going back to Verenka/Wang/Krups etc, there is no real issue with local entrepreneurship...altho Limerick people have abandoned retail start ups for whatever reason.

The problem, if there is one, is that the city centre has not yet seen a major project break ground, despite the talk of City council over the last 3 years...although I do believe the Hanging Gardens is now being designed to take capacity of 800 workers and should begin shortly...perception has long been a problem for us here in Limerick, be it crime/quality of life/opportunity/education/culture etc, you need to live away from Limerick for a while to appreciate that misperception, but the city centre does need a lot of work, that being said, we also should appreciate that it is home to some excellent museums and art galleries, more than Cork or Galway, we should be confident enough to believe that if Irish history and culture isn't your thing then Limerick may not be for you!!

That article's optimism is just too extreme for me to take seriously. Cork is a very developed city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That article's optimism is just too extreme for me to take seriously. Cork is a very developed city.

The speech is aspirational, the article was to remind people who he is, so of course it is laced with optimism, but his point was quiet simple, if population increases anything to go by, Dublin is going to need a strong regional counterpoint, and his point was that Limerick, from a geography point of view is placed strongly...it would require a shift away from parochial thinking to at least provencial...

Of course Cork is a very developed city (with serious planning flaws to be fair)...why wouldn't it be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I've been saying it for years that Limerick is best placed to be Ireland's second city. I'm glad that somebody is listening :)

Imagine the changes that would be brought about if a few companies like Facebook or Google set up in the heart of the city centre. We have to ask ourselves what's stopping this happening now and what obstacles do we have to overcome to make it happen in the future.

I've been saying it for years that Limerick is best placed to be Ireland's second city. I'm glad that somebody is listening :)

Imagine the changes that would be brought about if a few companies like Facebook or Google set up in the heart of the city centre. We have to ask ourselves what's stopping this happening now and what obstacles do we have to overcome to make it happen in the future.

zulutango wrote: »

For one, there isn't suitable office space, UBER for instance have room for just about 400 employees...and that was the only suitable office space in the city centre...there is loads of office space available but the premises are only suited for companies from 20 to 40/50 employees...

Hanging Gardens like I said should accommodate 800 workers but for someone like Google or Facebook that is not nearly big enough to warrant even looking at it...

Secondly, we have to understand most FDI companies would have never heard of Limerick, we are simply not on their radar, Dublin and possibly Cork would be...I think the city is a perfect fit for start ups or Tier 2 companies supplying solutions into the larger MNCs both indigenous and international, good location, access to a massive range of sport, culture, well priced housing, rent etc...and we have loads of space in our city centre...

• Advertisement

I think we have a lot of challenges to overcome. We have to accept that Limerick city centre is a largely tacky, derelict space and it's not particularly visually attractive but it's also not a very attractive place to live or work in. With the right management it could become a very beautiful city centre, but there isn't much evidence that the council have that kind of imagination or ambition.

One of the first things we must do is figure out a way of turning the streets into less car-dominated and more people friendly ones. It's crucially important because that will attract people to live in the city, shop in it, visit it and work in it. Both O'Connell Street and Henry Street, the main arteries of the city, are primarily used for getting traffic from one side of town to the other. We're literally funnelling a huge amount of traffic that has no business in the town straight through the centre of it. It's quite absurd, and very damaging to the life of the city.

I think we have a lot of challenges to overcome. We have to accept that Limerick city centre is a largely tacky, derelict space and it's not particularly visually attractive but it's also not a very attractive place to live or work in. With the right management it could become a very beautiful city centre, but there isn't much evidence that the council have that kind of imagination or ambition.

One of the first things we must do is figure out a way of turning the streets into less car-dominated and more people friendly ones. It's crucially important because that will attract people to live in the city, shop in it, visit it and work in it. Both O'Connell Street and Henry Street, the main arteries of the city, are primarily used for getting traffic from one side of town to the other. We're literally funnelling a huge amount of traffic that has no business in the town straight through the centre of it. It's quite absurd, and very damaging to the life of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Was there over the summer and it was completely dead.

It's dead every summer in Limerick. Kilkee/Lahinch/Ballybunion is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Limerick is booming, the traffic in the mornings is enough to tell you that.

Forget the urban sprawl, the city center should be where the investment goes.

More high quality apartments/office spaces are needed as there is a severe shortage. This is not just limited to Limerick, Dublin has a real housing crisis right now too.

Large areas still need to be bought up and revamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

we also should appreciate that it is home to some excellent museums and art galleries, more than Cork or Galway, we should be confident enough to believe that if Irish history and culture isn't your thing then Limerick may not be for you!!

Don't know why the constant comparisons with other places and all Irish cities have their own unique characteristics and identities but the above statement is a bit delusional.

• Advertisement

rebs23 wrote: »
    Don't know why the constant comparisons with other places and all Irish cities have their own unique characteristics and identities but the above statement is a bit delusional.

If you had called my opinion unpopular I would have agreed with you.

What I mean is that Limericks greatest asset is its deep history and culture, which manifests itself in the museums, art galleries, venue's, it was historically the strongest political entity outside of Dublin, this is evident in the Castle and Cathedrals dotted around the city centre, as well as in the powerful figures from the city and their legacy to the city, all of which are right in front of you as you walk around the city centre...

This might fly in the face of the dominant narrative Irish people, including many Limerick people have of Limerick, that it is a "working class" "crime troubled" miserable city...70% of that dominant narrative is pure fantasy, so I find it odd that I'd be called delusional!!

You are right, all Irish cities have their own charachteristics and identities, I particularly enjoy Corks, and the comparison I was making was in reply to another comparison which is what people do on online forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Any politician who knocks on your door in the coming weeks and tells you the recovery hasn't been felt in Limerick and that's why they should get your vote is talking out their hoop.

I'm looking at you Maurice and Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Any politician who knocks on your door in the coming weeks and tells you the recovery hasn't been felt in Limerick and that's why they should get your vote is talking out their hoop.

I'm looking at you Maurice and Cian

p.s. and as for the mustachio'd one - Limerick has had more investment in the teeth of the biggest recession in decades in the last few years than that clown got in 20 years of boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

jbkenn wrote: »
    Excellent list, good post, problem is, all this "investment" is taxpayer funded, no private investment.

Would you not categorise jobs investments and expansions by Northern Trust and Uber as private investments? While they do not offer public amenities per se, they give jobs and disposable income to Limerick based employees, the spin offs of which are increased consumer spending in the shops, bars, restaurants etc in the city which has to be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

does Dolores mc Namara or Mc Manus not put any money into limerick ?
    if they loved their home county they would invest money in improving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

goochy wrote: »
    does Dolores mc Namara or Mc Manus not put any money into limerick ?
    if they loved their home county they would invest money in improving it.

JP has put a lot of money in over the years.

I wonder who the philanthropist is who is supposed to be donating €10 million for the construction of the footbridge that pretty much everybody is against. Some say JP, but many people I've talked to say he wouldn't get involved in controversial vanity-type projects like that. Maybe it's Dolores!?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Some of the city does look awful tacky.The upgrading of William St should have used the same paving as Thomas St.It just looks like Dublin's Talbot St.
    There's also a general lack of upkeep of buildings-not being cleaned,painted regularly.
    On the plus side it's encouraging the number of recent job announcements,upgrading of train station etc.
    I'd love to see the warehouse across from Nancys redeveloped and the cae park behind it made into a new street with apartments/retail.

A lot of people were praying that they didn't use the same paving on William street as they did on Thomas street. Thomas street can be a death trap on wet or really cold days.

Jofspring wrote: »
    A lot of people were praying that they didn't use the same paving on William street as they did on Thomas street. Thomas street can be a death trap on wet or really cold days.

There has to be a solution that isn't cheap and tacky but also not a death trap.

In general, the works on Sarsfield Street and William Street were very poor, I thiink. They were really more about getting traffic through the city rather than a public realm improvement, which is what they were sold as, if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The problem with William Street is the abundance of cheap, tacky shops and the clientele they attract.

No amount of fancy paving will change that.

The whole street from Limerick Sports Store to Gleesons Sports store should be razed to the ground.

I like the paving on William Street personally. In saying that there is a lot more that could have been done or better planned. For example the fact you have a taxi rank on Sarsfied St. (Never used), O'Connell St. and William Street, all within a 30 second walk of each other is ridiculous. One would have done as mentioned elsewhere on the left hand side of O'Connell Street going from Thomas street junction up to Cecil street junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

sleepyman wrote: »
    Some of the city does look awful tacky.The upgrading of William St should have used the same paving as Thomas St.It just looks like Dublin's Talbot St.
    There's also a general lack of upkeep of buildings-not being cleaned,painted regularly.
    On the plus side it's encouraging the number of recent job announcements,upgrading of train station etc.
    I'd love to see the warehouse across from Nancys redeveloped and the cae park behind it made into a new street with apartments/retail.

That site has always been a bugbear of mine along with the decade old uncompleted shell across the street. They are major eyesores and portray this part of the city centre in a very poor light. Why have the the council not been engaging with the owner or owners?! The car park site is ideal for an apartment/office development. The old granary building most recently occupied by Limerick Printmakers is in a desperate state. It's roof is gone and the structure is deteriorating rapidly. Again why has there been no action taken here?! This is a fine, historic building that could be renovated to provide quality loft style apartments just like the smaller one on Shannon Street.

The market quarter in general is in pretty poor shape. The standard of the 1990s and early 2000s redevelopments is deplorable! The old watergate flats area needs to be looked at as well. It's a poor use of space and a mixture of higher quality social and private residential accommodation should be pursued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

From the river shannon back I'd say 3 or 4 blocks is in my opinion redeveloped over the years to a relatively alright standard, I remember shannon st etc was a kip before the redevelopment.
    What the council need to look at is the whole area around by molly's and Watergate and broad St, thats the area of town where there's no listed buildings, and this is the area that would be welcomed to completely knock and revamp, even in phased timeliness, you could build some good density mixed use buildings and open up the canal from that side too

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Red King wrote: »
    The problem with William Street is the abundance of cheap, tacky shops and the clientele they attract.

No amount of fancy paving will change that.

The whole street from Limerick Sports Store to Gleesons Sports store should be razed to the ground.

Its that kind of mindset that has the city center looking "tacky" - think Cruises Hotel, Cannocks/Penneys to cite two examples.

The reason William St isn't easy on the eye, in my opinion, is the neglected state of a number of its buildings and some of the God awful shopfronts on it.

The reason William St isn't easy on the eye, in my opinion, is the neglected state of a number of its buildings and some of the God awful shopfronts on it.

The fact that it's a main traffic artery is a big reason too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

To my fellow Limerickers how did you combat the plague of gangland violence? We here in Dublin have a huge criminal problem yet we can't find ways of overcoming it. The special criminal courts, extra Gardaí, gvt investment and a campaign against drug dealing. Nothing has worked. I realise we have a larger population and with the additional demands of a capital city we get the wrong sort of crowd.

Any suggestions on how to eradicate the crime lords and halting all the illicit activities going on in the city centre? Re-imposing the death penalty for serious offenders. Many Dubs have gone through the prison system so we have a conveyor belt of prisoners/criminals leaving and taking up full time jobs in the Dublin underworld. We all know Limerick also had this problem yet you succeeded in reshaping your city. Please explain to us what we can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    We here in Dublin have a huge criminal problem yet we can't find ways of overcoming it.

2 murders, with nothing preceding it and nothing post so far.

Being blown WAYYY out of proportion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

It comes down to a small minority of people, I'f their locked up everything is quiet, if there out its hectic. In limerick I think the guards have done a lot more than people give them credit for. We got armed response units, and also they looked at other ways to police, I think they became a more preventative task force as opposed to a reactive force which traditionally would have been the norm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

How long did it take for limerick to sort out gang problem ? Answer too long and it still has a stigma attached to it . It could have been sorted 10 years earlier. I am a dub myself now living in cork. While there's plenty of decent people in dublin unfortunately it has a huge scumbag population you just don't find in other cities .

Advertisement