Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham Gaol

Options
  • 07-02-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

We have visitors coming in a few weeks and i wanted to bring them to kilmainham (as well as really wanting to go back myself, it has been twenty years since my last visit). I have heard that you need to get there early on the day to get tickets recently so looking for advice on that.

What i am thinking is that i will head down early on the Saturday morning on my own and buy tickets for a tour later that day and then go back home and return later with all of them. There will be five of us in total. Will that be possible? Or does everyone have to be there to buy their own ticket? Or can you not buy tickets for a tour hours in advance.

Not much info about this online so turning to you guys for tips!

Last question then, i will probably want to drive in to buy/collect the tickets. Is it still best to park in the IMMA? Is that close buy?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

cant tell you about tickets but this indicates they can't be bought in advance. I pass by it a lot and while there are queues, they're never ridiculous looking. A quick call to them will get you a definitive answer

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/kilmainhamgaol/

Careful about parking in IMMA. You're banking on the Inchicore side gate being opened and that isn't always the case. There is street parking at the gaol now that the roadworks are (near) completed. I'd chance that first before trying IMMA (and a 10/15 minute walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

ThAnks dodge, yes i knew about the no prebooking and that i would have to buy tickets on the day so that's why i was asking about the best way of doing it. Good to know about the small enough queues and good tip on the parking!

They are not open on Sundays in January and i was just looking for an answer today so cannot ring them, hence my post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Not sure bout tickets but usually is a few on street parking spaces available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I went last year, do go early to buy tickets, the queues were long and I went on a cold rainy day, you can buy for as many as you want and come back later, there should be no issue picking a time slot that suits you best but I was buying for the nearest time possible. You could Park in the hilton hotel across the road. There's limited on street meter parking, Street outside is one way so be aware of how you can loop around if you need to.

It's a great tour, I enjoyed it, there's a cafe and museum for you to walk around inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I went last year, do go early to buy tickets, the queues were long and I went on a cold rainy day, you can buy for as many as you want and come back later, there should be no issue picking a time slot that suits you best but I was buying for the nearest time possible. You could Park in the hilton hotel across the road. There's limited on street meter parking, Street outside is one way so be aware of how you can loop around if you need to.

It's a great tour, I enjoyed it, there's a cafe and museum for you to walk around inside.

Thank you so much Cathmandooo, that is exactly the answer I was looking for! good tip about the Hilton parking too, I had spotted it on a map yesterday and was wondering if it were an option so that is that confirmed too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

And if you've time to spare until the next tour (and its a nice day), talk a walk around Kilmainham Hospital grounds and gardens across the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And stop off at charming and tiny The Royal Oak on Kilmainham Lane if you fancy a pint.

Advertisement