Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crate training new puppy

• 07-02-2016 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

I got a new puppy two weeks ago from the local pound he's a cross breed im not sure what he is but the vet said he would be more of a terrier,i think there is a bit of a boxer and maybe a lurcher in him,he's about 12 weeks old.

Anyway i was a bit reluctant to use a crate but the vet recommend it and after reading it does seem the best option,i thought he was getting the idea that he has to go toilet outside,we've been taking him out every hour or two and he does his business and about 15 minutes after he eats,he even started goigng to the back door letting us know he wanted to go,but if we leave him alone in the kitchen for 20 minutes or more and he will go on the floor,then this morning he was in the living room with us and he had a wee on the rug right in front of us :(

I bought a crate in Argos yesterday and he went into right away with no problem,we put his blanket in it gave him treats etc and gradually closed the door for longer periods he cried when we left the room but he seemed fine,so last night i decided to let him sleep inside with the door closed,i put him to bed at 10pm he was great and didn't cry or nothing and i returned at 12 to bring him outside and again i woke up at 4am and brought him out again,my girlfriend got up at 7am and brought him out again.

As im totally new to crates to be honest i dont know how best to use it so any advice from people on here would be really helpful thanks :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

I got a new puppy two weeks ago from the local pound he's a cross breed im not sure what he is but the vet said he would be more of a terrier,i think there is a bit of a boxer and maybe a lurcher in him,he's about 12 weeks old.

Anyway i was a bit reluctant to use a crate but the vet recommend it and after reading it does seem the best option,i thought he was getting the idea that he has to go toilet outside,we've been taking him out every hour or two and he does his business and about 15 minutes after he eats,he even started goigng to the back door letting us know he wanted to go,but if we leave him alone in the kitchen for 20 minutes or more and he will go on the floor,then this morning he was in the living room with us and he had a wee on the rug right in front of us :(

I bought a crate in Argos yesterday and he went into right away with no problem,we put his blanket in it gave him treats etc and gradually closed the door for longer periods he cried when we left the room but he seemed fine,so last night i decided to let him sleep inside with the door closed,i put him to bed at 10pm he was great and didn't cry or nothing and i returned at 12 to bring him outside and again i woke up at 4am and brought him out again,my girlfriend got up at 7am and brought him out again.

As im totally new to crates to be honest i dont know how best to use it so any advice from people on here would be really helpful thanks :)

What your doing with the crate sounds pritty spot on ! As with the accidents he's still a baby and it will happen, when he's going inside and you spot him in the act just say no and put him where you want himato go , when she goes out the back use high reward treats and praise the bee jeebis out of himðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Two huskies on the floor here... Both crate trained. I recommend it to everyone. They love their 'bedroom'. It is the only way to train your pet IMO. Great for holidays/camping/travelling/vet recovery.

And it naturally aids toilet training. By the way, you're doing that PERFECTLY! just watch for the signs (peeing on floor). They're subtle, but they are there. It's hard to explain. It's like they stop, get distracted for a split second - and that's when it's time to run for the yard!

Pics please!!!

Advertisement