Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathedral in Maynoth

Options
  • 07-02-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭

Is that fecking closed now as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Closed for weeks. No movement at all on what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Closed straight after New Years. I'd imagine loads of unpaid wages and creditors left to sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The Wright Venue were to buy it but I believe they've pulled out.

Is that fecking closed now again?

Fixed that for you :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone know who currently owns the Cathedral?Or how Id get in touch with the owners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/eighty-new-jobs-announced-in-maynooth-177511

Darryl Kavanagh ran it with new backers after clearing bankruptcy in the US. Story via local papers was backers split from him and tried to get that fancy nightclub in Swords to buy it. They might know who ultimate backers were.

Local Estate Agents probably know.

A lot of people were owed money for construction. Unclear how that ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah I heard the owner of the Wright Venue bought it.

Yeah I heard the owner of the Wright Venue bought it.

Didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

any update on this place at all? such a shame its going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

wrights wanted to buy it but currents owners would only lease it so wrights pulled out and last i heard it is been left there doing nothings unless someone decides to take the lease on it

• Advertisement

Unless things have changed, Martin Brady who ran it in its last incarnation as The Leinster Arms owns the freehold. Mantra/Cathedral were only ever leases.

They still aren't compliant with the conditions on the retention permission for it, which is something any new operator will have to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Good riddnce. Only attracted knackers into the town.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Good riddnce. Only attracted knackers into the town.

I thought it only brought in the pretentious feckers from Tallafornia.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fergiesarmy

Don't be surprised if something happens in there very soon. I saw a guy opening the front door and heading inside on Friday evening and it wasn't the owner of said building so fully expect something to be in the pipeline sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I thought it only brought in the pretentious feckers from Tallafornia.

And failed soap opera "stars"!!!!
    It really was full of complete assholes though.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    And failed soap opera "stars"!!!!
    It really was full of complete assholes though.

A lot of places are like that now in fairness. At some point, nightclub promoters became entranced with the idea of paying minor celebrities to make "public appearances" in nightclubs. More depressingly, it seems to be wildly successful. It basically seems like the death of nightlife. But as a touring scene, it's one that currently has more nationwide appeal than any music scene does.

A lot of places are like that now in fairness.

In Mantra, it was 2006 all night, every night rather than "now".

First time I went in there, there was a wall of credit card readers at the main bar - maybe 8 in total. Extremely dear everything, from charging in to a late pub when there were 3 free at the time to the drink. Aggressive demanding toilet attendants. Terrible "PAs" with no-namers for which they racked up the price.

Cathedral tried to be more, oh, 2009 ish. Tiny nod towards craft beer, no more 'sleb nonsense but still dear as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

New owners are the same owners that have Whelans and Cafe En Sine.

Johner wrote: »
    New owners are the same owners that have Whelans and Cafe En Sine.

Which is Mercantile/the McGuinness family as mentioned earlier. Only one of those two venues could possibly work in Maynooth but the building is built to try be the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

L1011 wrote: »
    Which is Mercantile/the McGuinness family as mentioned earlier. Only one of those two venues could possibly work in Maynooth but the building is built to try be the other.
    i'm a bit confused here, something akin to Whelans in that space would die on its arse in Maynooth, there isn't remotely enough of a market :confused:

a nightclub more like Cafe En Seine is far more likely to succeed with the demographic that are going to go.

and I say that as someone who loves Whelans and despises Cafe En Seine.

• Advertisement

i'm a bit confused here, something akin to Whelans in that space would die on its arse in Maynooth, there isn't remotely enough of a market :confused:

a nightclub more like Cafe En Seine is far more likely to succeed with the demographic that are going to go.

and I say that as someone who loves Whelans and despises Cafe En Seine.

Mantra/Cathedral was like Cafe En Seine. It went under, repeatedly and it will again if they try it again.

The pubs with live music are all successful, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, the pubs.
    if M/C tries to be like Whelans in that building with The Roost/O'Neills still going as normal, it would fail harder and quicker than Cathedral did.

the pathetically attended "indie nights" in Bradys over the last few years should be proof enough that there isn't a market for a nightclub playing Whelans-esque music.

Article in the Champion about it. Seemingly a cafe bar. Downstairs a bar with horse racing and upstairs the lounge for music and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, the pubs.
    if M/C tries to be like Whelans in that building with The Roost/O'Neills still going as normal, it would fail harder and quicker than Cathedral did.

the pathetically attended "indie nights" in Bradys over the last few years should be proof enough that there isn't a market for a nightclub playing Whelans-esque music.

I think anything with decent value drink and a few inoffensive genre'd tunes will do well in maynooth.

You can't pull a cathedral / mantra, most of the clientele are students , maynooth is never going to house Irelands answer to studio 54.

You also can't make a hipster indie club either, doesn't sit. cheap and generic works well in maynooth and will continue to do so.

Studio 54 reminds me... another huge issue Mantra had whenever the Kavanaghs were running it was that they were trying to clone Harveys - bringing some pastiche of big city chic to a run down post-industrial city. Waterford is not Maynooth. We might have people that fall for that fake glam but they can get a 30 minute train in to Dublin and get it done better,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

8-10 months lifespan. As usual.

lordgoat wrote: »
    8-10 months lifespan. As usual.

The LA survived from its 1970/80s re-opening until the early 2000s with only an occasional change of name of the "niteclub". Started as Slims, ended as Apollo.

I don't know how often it closed down on average back to the 1790s though :pac:

I forgot just how bad the 'slebs they hauled in were:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3076850/One-red-hot-mama-Billie-Faiers-looks-spectacular-red-announces-opening-bar-Ireland-Gemma-Merna.html

It would be well advised to just open - no opening night, no Z listers, nothing. Tell the Champion and the town gossips the date and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

You had to see the All White Night and the queue back to the Roost to get into it at the start.

Change it to a small hotel for Hen parties with a nice restaurant, karaoke and lounge bar. It will do a decent trade. Students get pissed and pay in then buy sweet FA. Town isn't busy every weekend but maybe every other weekend. Then again, i don't get out like I used to. Gone are the 3/4 nights a week when in college and from the town.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

L1011 wrote: »
    The LA survived from its 1970/80s re-opening until the early 2000s with only an occasional change of name of the "niteclub". Started as Slims, ended as Apollo.

I don't know how often it closed down on average back to the 1790s though :pac:

I forgot just how bad the 'slebs they hauled in were:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3076850/One-red-hot-mama-Billie-Faiers-looks-spectacular-red-announces-opening-bar-Ireland-Gemma-Merna.html

It would be well advised to just open - no opening night, no Z listers, nothing. Tell the Champion and the town gossips the date and be done with it.

Didn't think I had to specify but since the LA wrapped up is what I meant!
    From what I hear I don't think this incarnation will be any different.
    ixus wrote: »
    You had to see the All White Night and the queue back to the Roost to get into it at the start.

Change it to a small hotel for Hen parties with a nice restaraunt, karaoke and lounge bar. It will do a decent trade. Students get pissed and pay in then buy sweet FA. Town isn't busy every weekend but maybe every other weekend. Then again, i don't get out like I used to. Gone are the 3/4 nights a week when in college and from the town.

That's an interesting idea. I do think there prob is room for a small hotel/b&b in maynooth. I think they would survive at the weekends handy enough it's making enough cash to pay the bills mid week is the issue. A decent sports bar and a few pool tables might be enough of a draw. Def need to encourage students this time.

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »

Ahh that takes me back. All the young wans in their short skirts queuing in the freezing cold. Just a sea of shivering legs.

Advertisement