Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade old PC

Options
  • 07-02-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a gaming rig that's pretty old at this stage. I've been having issues with the PC shutting down during gaming recently and everything I tried to fix it failed.

As I got a lot of use out of it, rather than try to track the problem down and buy a new part here and there, I'm considering a full rebuild.

I'm looking for something that could run the newest games on ultra. My budget is 1000 but I could stretch a little higher rather than sacrifice quality.

In my current build I have:

Motherboard - Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (6 cores unlocked - overclocked)
    Chipset - AMD 890GX, AMD K10
    4GB Ram (low I know)
    GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1 GB)
    Audio adapter - Realtek ALC892 @ ATI SB800
    Disk drive - SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (1 MB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
    I can't remember the PSU at the moment but I've never had a problem previous and I have a pretty big cooling case, but I think it's best to replace everything.

1. What is your budget? ~ 1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, video/photo editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I have Windows 10 installed on current machine/ if I need a new motherboard, I'll try and move the licence over.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Unsure, listed above.

5. Do you need a monitor? Not yet

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? HP w2007 (Analog) [20" LCD] (CNC813L0NF) I'll probably update during the Summer

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes but I'd rather not have to this time around.

8. How can you pay? Debit Card, PayPal, Bank Transfer? Any are fine

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork city

Thanks all for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

R9 390 €350
    H81M board €50
    Xeon 1231v3 €250
    16gb RAM €80
    Case €70
    1tb HDD €40
    250gb SSD €90
    500w PSU €50
    Total €980

You're going to lose yourself in this PC after the upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Thanks for the reply.

Opening up the case of my current PC while on, I noticed the fan on the heatsink isn't working anymore. I'm guessing the PC is knocking off at a certain temp to protect the CPU. I'm going to fix that and see if it still works.

Although, it's time for an upgrade anyway, so I'll take a look at the parts you suggest.

Thanks again.

Advertisement