Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade

Options
  • 07-02-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

OK so looking to upgrade my current PC which I built just over 6 years ago and would welcome any recommendations before I go and order parts.

Current specs:
    - Intel i5 750 CPU
    - Gigabyte P55-UD3 Motherboard
    - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Card
    - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler
    - Crucial 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 1.5V RAM
    - Corsair 650W HX Modular PSU
    - Coolermaster HAF 922 Case
    - SanDisk Ultra II SSD 480GB
    - Dell U2711 1440p IPS Monitor

I'm thinking of a Skylake build with an i5 processor so minimum upgrade will be CPU, Motherboard and RAM. GPU may also be upgraded now or in the near future so if there is any good deals going let me know.

I'm considering:
    - Intel Core i5 6600K 4x 3.50GHz So.1151 CPU €248.88
    - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Intel Z170 So.1151 Motherboard €149.84
    - Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2400 DIMM €75.94
    Shipping from Mindfactory €29.99
    Total €504.65

I wouldn't mind adding some USB 3.0 ports to the case so might pick up a card reader (or just replace the case if anyone has any recommendations?) and I could probably do with a copy of Windows too as I'll probably use the old parts to upgrade my parents (even older) PC - which is why I may need a new GPU as the old motherboard doesn't have any built in graphics capability.

My main uses are photo editing (mainly Adobe Lightroom, some Photoshop), video editing, 3D modeling and CAD work with Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD. I've not gamed on my PC in a year or two so it's not a priority.

I'm not really tying myself to any budget but I always like to get value for money.

Thanks,
    Fran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Your parts are fine, but with a cheaper board and non-K Cpu, no need in overclocking

Advertisement