Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call to reconsider our rugby national anthem

Options
  • 07-02-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

National anthems are a huge part of the build-up to international matches, particularly in competitions such as the World Cup and the ongoing Six Nations. They really set the tone for an exciting match; with hype being a huge part of sports in today's world.
    The Welsh and Scottish anthems at home are, in my opinion, great example of passionate, prideful and elated anthems when sung. The French anthem, of course, is another obvious paragon.
    And then there's Ireland's Call. Opinion is divided on this one. Yes, it's catchy; but is 'catchiness' really that important when it comes to a Nation's anthem? Personally, I feel a national anthem should encompass a nation's history, culture and pride. It should be suited to its use, i.e. to be sung passionately and loudly by the team and fans in a stadium. I think Ireland's Call verges on being rather 'pop song-ish'; its lyrics (1st verse pasted below) seem much too generic, not saying much about our Nation's rich heritage and history - and its melody doesn't, to me, resemble a historic song sung by our Irish ancestors.
    But then again, this is all just my opinion. I'd like to hear other opinions on it, I feel it should be discussed. Amhrán na bhFiann is a great anthem, but of course it's questionable whether it's appropriate to the whole island of Ireland.
    I'm not sure what the alternatives are - Fields of Athenry springs to mind, but again I'm not sure if it encompasses our history and heritage. I'd like to hear your opinions. Rant over, finally!

Come the day and come the hour, Come the power and the glory! We have come to answer our country's call, From the four proud provinces of Ireland
    Ireland, Ireland,
    Together standing tall!
    Shoulder to shoulder,
    We'll answer Ireland's call!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Please read our charter. This topic is not up for discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement