Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo travel to Bangkok June

• 07-02-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

My two dream holidays are burning man Nevada and Thailand. Anyway I've decided I want to go to Thailand and go to Bangkok and maybe koh phangan aswell. I'll be leaving the 8th of June and staying for 13 nights.

is Thailand safe for a solo traveller who has no previous solo travel experience. I wouldn't be the most confident person dealing with problems. I was going to book a single room in a hotel for a couple of nights and then get the train to koh phangan for the full moon party.

I want to meet other people in Thailand who I can make friends with. Am I better off staying in a hostel then

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Stay in a nice 4-star hotel in Bangkok for first 1 or 2 nights just to acclimatise, then head on down to Khaosan Road, backpacker central. Most people there are solo travellers like yourself and it's a great place to meet people and also book follow-on journeys.

There aren't really any hostels in Khaosan Road, just really cheap (but often good) 1-star hotels. So check into one, head to any bar on Khaosan Road, buy a beer, watch whatever crap they're showing on TV then getting chatting to randomers, simples.

And yeah it's safe but you'll quickly get used to meeting people. Best thing I ever did was an 18 month RTW trip starting in Bangkok and I was similarly nervous and a bit homesick on the first day or so, but quickly overcame it.

P.S. Watch the movie The Beach for an idea. ;)

Advertisement