Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi long distance connection?

Options
  • 07-02-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey guys ,
    Im going to be working on a farm and will be living in a converted shed about 2 and a half acres away at the end of a field , he is going to get electricity down there , and try and workout how to get the wifi down there too..
    Is there anyway I can get the wifi from his house via a cable stretching from his house or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

An acre is a measure of area which isnt exactly useful when talking distance...but lets assume its 2.5 Sq Acres. so approx 160m. You dont really want to be running ethernet that far, can work but ideally runs should be sub 100m.

Point to point wireless is what you want. Two ubiquiti nanostations and a wireless router for the shed is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

ED E wrote: »
    An acre is a measure of area which isnt exactly useful when talking distance...but lets assume its 2.5 Sq Acres. so approx 160m. You dont really want to be running ethernet that far, can work but ideally runs should be sub 100m.

Point to point wireless is what you want. Two ubiquiti nanostations and a wireless router for the shed is all you need.

hahaha yeah I suppose your right isnt really is it , ok thank you , I will look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

I'll refer you to an old thread of mine that might help... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90472651

Advertisement