Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three UK PAYG top up

Options
  • 07-02-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi i picked up a Three UK sim on a recent trip to the UK. I now want to use this sim on a trip to the United States as the US is one of their feel at home destinations. For £10 you can get an add on with 500mb data, 100 mins talk and 3000 texts. This will cover my requirements.
    My problem is to top up on the three website you need to have a UK registered
    debit /credit card.
    Does anyone know a way around this or managed to top up by an alternative method?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

ROVER wrote: »
    Hi i picked up a Three UK sim on a recent trip to the UK. I now want to use this sim on a trip to the United States as the US is one of their feel at home destinations. For £10 you can get an add on with 500mb data, 100 mins talk and 3000 texts. This will cover my requirements.
    debit /credit card.
    Does anyone know a way around this or managed to top up by an alternative method?

Could try a revolut card? See here

I can't say for certain it will work, but it won't cost a lot to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Could try a revolut card? See here

I can't say for certain it will work, but it won't cost a lot to find out.

Thanks I tried revolut already and used my parcel motel uk address but that did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

i'm fairly sure you can top by voucher bought in the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 2 core_pl

ROVER wrote: »
    debit /credit card.

I used mobiletopup .co.uk exactly for the same reason :)
    BTW Roaming in US on AT&T was faster for me comparing to T-Mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

paconnors wrote: »
    i'm fairly sure you can top by voucher bought in the republic

You Can't top up a Three UK account with a Three Ireland top up card, different currencies first of all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

I travel to the US often and I pop in a T-Mobile SIM as soon as I land. It's by far the best deal. I used to use AT&T SIMs, but they recently raised their prices. It's true that the T-Mobile network coverage in the US is lacking compared to Verizon and AT&T. However, if you're mostly in medium/large cities and not driving through rural parts of the country, you'll be fine.

I pay $30 (~£20/€26) for unlimited data (first 5gb at 4g/LTE speeds then drops to 3G), unlimited texts (even international) and 100 minutes of voice. This is across the entire country and lasts for one month. You can buy add-ons for more voice, but I always use facetime,whatsapp, viber, ringcentral, etc to make voice calls anyway. Also, T-Mobile (same as all the other carriers in the US) support VoLTE (Voice over LTE) which uses your data connection to make the call. You need a newer phone for this and you'll see the new setting once you pop in the SIM. The call quality is outstanding. Last month I literally used 17mins of legacy cellular voice service. :) Not sure why the above Amazon link mentions no tethering. I used tethering without any issues when I was in the US last week.

If you buy one online, you could probably have it delivered to your hotel, airbnb, office, etc. You might be able to ship directly to the airport as many US airports have post offices. Third party parcel (or luggage) services can also deliver directly to an airport's shipping center and hold in your name. Many airports also have SIM kiosks or mobile service stores that stock all the provider SIM cards.

Here's my plan screenshot from My T-Mobile page:
    Ywu2vvu.png?1

Advertisement