Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding by O'Callaghan strand

• 08-02-2016 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Road closed due to flooding, river was still above bank at 7.20. Waves still coming up the shannon, big ones for a river.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Condell Road Inbound Closed, Clancy Strand, O'Callaghan Strand Closed. Corbally Road Flooded at Roundabout(unsure if closed).

Rush hour will be crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Corbally road passable at 7.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Limerick is going to get fecked by climate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

zulutango wrote: »

All riverside cities will suffer but bad river management is the main cause of our flooding not the weather. We've built all over our flood plains and financially incentivized farmers to destroy natural drainage on their land. We need to stop that and reverse it where possible. In Limerick for example sites along the Groody really need to be returned to allow drainage as much as possible. It's why all the arguments for and against the Horizon Mall have got it wrong. Really and truly whether or not another mall would be successful or have a bad economic impact on the city centre is besides the point. That land and land like it, needs to be left as slow drainage or hundreds of people will end up with homes they can't live in. What can be demolished and returned to it's natural state has to be as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

iguana wrote: »
    All riverside cities will suffer but bad river management is the main cause of our flooding not the weather. We've built all over our flood plains and financially incentivized farmers to destroy natural drainage on their land. We need to stop that and reverse it where possible. In Limerick for example sites along the Groody really need to be returned to allow drainage as much as possible. It's why all the arguments for and against the Horizon Mall have got it wrong. Really and truly whether or not another mall would be successful or have a bad economic impact on the city centre is besides the point. That land and land like it, needs to be left as slow drainage or hundreds of people will end up with homes they can't live in. What can be demolished and returned to it's natural state has to be as soon as possible.

While I agree with your general point when it comes to upriver flooding, the flooding this morning was caused by high tides, not bad river management. The tides will get higher and higher with the onset of climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah but there would be less water in the river if the water was able to drain slowly through flood plains. I live between the Shannon and the Groody, near the top of a high hill and my land is absolutely water-logged after the last year and a half of rain. My land and my neighbour's was previously owned by a developer who planned to build a large commercial/residential development on it. Thankfully they went bankrupt because if they hadn't all of the water currently turning our plots into muck would be all filled in with concrete and the water currently creating my muck would be in the river making it higher. If Parkpoint hadn't been built, or the Aldi building or the foundations in the Parkway Valley or a lot of the UL buildings that were put into flood plains in the last 5 years, the river water would be lower.

Climate change is very real, I'm no denier of it (it's in part why I made sure to buy a large plot up a high hill ;)) but most of our flooding problems have an easier fix if we cop on about how we use the land that is in the proximity of our rivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »

Someone should tell the council before they go spending millions on pedestrianising O'Connell St.

Advertisement