Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia working holiday visa, used for 6 weeks can I get another?

Options
  • 08-02-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

On January 30th 2011, I went to Australia on a working holiday Visa.

On March 9th 2011, my mother passed away and I came home immediately.

I didn't work while I was there, but I did secure a job.

Is there any leniency? I was going to email the embassy in Dublin.

I was born in Sydney, but unfortunately two years too late to get citizenship.

My sister was born there and is a citizen, she's getting married in November and I was going to try pick up some work and stay for a while rather than just a couple of weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As far as I'm aware, there isn't much room for leniency with the WHV's. Once it is activated you have your 12 months regardless if you stay 1 day or the whole year. If you do your suitable 88 days rural/agricultural work during the first yeah WHV you can be granted a 2nd year WHV that can be taken at any time up until the day you turn 31.

There are Remaining Relative visas if you have no other siblings outside Australia, no parents outside Australia and if you have a defacto partner, that they have no parents/remaining siblings. I think the waiting list for this visa can be quite long as there are limited numbers granted each year. If you meet these requirement you might be able to come on a normal holiday visa and then apply for this visa onshore and get a bridging visa until a decision is made. This means you would be able to stay in Australia, live and work until your case has been decided on.

Another option is if you have qualifications that are on the skilled occupancy list then your sister will be able to sponsor you.

For proper advice, I would recommend contacting a migration agent and see what your options are. My advice may not be totally correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Pete4130 is spot on. Your WHV is gone and it cannot be renewed/restarted etc.
    Your best bet is to apply for different types of visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

moreboost wrote: »
    Hi,

On January 30th 2011, I went to Australia on a working holiday Visa.

On March 9th 2011, my mother passed away and I came home immediately.

I didn't work while I was there, but I did secure a job.

Is there any leniency? I was going to email the embassy in Dublin.

I was born in Sydney, but unfortunately two years too late to get citizenship.

My sister was born there and is a citizen, she's getting married in November and I was going to try pick up some work and stay for a while rather than just a couple of weeks

What do you mean by two years too late to get citizenship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

aido79 wrote: »
    What do you mean by two years too late to get citizenship?

Depends on status of parents and at what point in time Australian by birth leads to citizenship.
    If you were born in Australia on or after the:

20 August 1986 to an Australian citizen or permanent resident parent, you became an Australian citizen at birth.

20 August 1986 to parents who were not permanent residents or Australian citizens, you may have become an Australian citizen automatically on your 10th birthday.

If you were born in Australia between:

22 November 1984 and 19 August 1986 you became an Australian citizen at birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer.

26 January 1949 and 21 November 1984 you became an Australian citizen at birth unless your father was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Depends on status of parents and at what point in time Australian by birth leads to citizenship.

Thanks. I'm sure the OP is well aware of his entitlement to citizenship anyway. I'm just not really sure why he said two years too late...he possibly meant two years too early.

• Advertisement
Advertisement