Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with pricings for a new roof

Options
  • 08-02-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of building up into the attic but have been told that the trusts wouldn't support a conversion and we'd have to build a whole new roof. We were told it would cost alot but weren't given any figures.
    Can anyone here help me as all i can find are figures for repairing or replacing tiles etc but what i want is a ball park figure (to the nearest couple of grand!) of what it could cost to either consider it or rule it out completely.
    its a two story house with a footprint of 120 sqM.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of building up into the attic but have been told that the trusts wouldn't support a conversion and we'd have to build a whole new roof. We were told it would cost alot but weren't given any figures.
    Can anyone here help me as all i can find are figures for repairing or replacing tiles etc but what i want is a ball park figure (to the nearest couple of grand!) of what it could cost to either consider it or rule it out completely.
    its a two story house with a footprint of 120 sqM.

Many thanks in advance.

Post up some pics so lads can see the existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pixie_chick

how do i put pics up? tried unsuccessfully :(

i've tried to post a picture but it says i can;t, it says I'm a new user??

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

How many rooms are you planning to put up there and what will the total sq meters?

As a very rough guide I have a quote to convert an attic into two bedrooms and a bathroom, to include strengthening the joists and replacing the roof tiles, membrane etc. 110m2 bungalow, new attic floor area to be 65m2. Total cost €56k incl VAT. Price includes all bathroom fixtures, painting & decoration, and oak flooring, but excludes heating. Allowing for contingencies and the heating (adding 3 rads to the existing system) I'm expecting the total to come in around €64k incl VAT, or roughly €1,000 per square meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

How many rooms are you planning to put up there and what will the total sq meters?

As a very rough guide I have a quote to convert an attic into two bedrooms and a bathroom, to include strengthening the joists and replacing the roof tiles, membrane etc. 110m2 bungalow, new attic floor area to be 65m2. Total cost €56k incl VAT. Price includes all bathroom fixtures, painting & decoration, and oak flooring, but excludes heating. Allowing for contingencies and the heating (adding 3 rads to the existing system) I'm expecting the total to come in around €64k incl VAT, or roughly €1,000 per square meter. Of that, the new roof element is €15k incl VAT, and strengthening the joists is €6.5k incl VAT.

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote: »

As a very rough guide I have a quote to convert an attic into two bedrooms and a bathroom, to include strengthening the joists and replacing the roof tiles, membrane etc. 110m2 bungalow, new attic floor area to be 65m2. Total cost €56k incl VAT. Price includes all bathroom fixtures, painting & decoration, and oak flooring, but excludes heating. Allowing for contingencies and the heating (adding 3 rads to the existing system) I'm expecting the total to come in around €64k incl VAT, or roughly €1,000 per square meter. Of that, the new roof element is €15k incl VAT, and strengthening the joists is €6.5k incl VAT.

Thanks for the information. The SqM floor space would be approx 125 SqM with main bedroom & sitting area, dressing and bathroom, plus a storage room also. So I reckon going by your costings i'd be well into the €100K mark. Probably 50k more then I had hoped 😬
    I was also looking at a built in balcony ... Should've done the lotto tonight!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the information. The SqM floor space would be approx 125 SqM with main bedroom & sitting area, dressing and bathroom, plus a storage room also. So I reckon going by your costings i'd be well into the €100K mark. Probably 50k more then I had hoped 😬
    I was also looking at a built in balcony ... Should've done the lotto tonight!

That's a big attic!

I suppose it is. The house is 240m2 so the attic space would be approx 120 m2, making any conversion in the region of 120k€ plus vat 😐

Advertisement