Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gross misconduct

Options
  • 07-02-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I hoping someone can help me. I work in the railway industry my problem I'm faceing is gross misconduct! I had the permission to take some goods from the workplace for personal use. I had the permission from the sm. Section manager that I could have the goods. Now I've been suspended for theft of workplace property and I'm not in the UnionI should of got the permission in writing. But I didn't. ive Been for a investigation interview I've got to go back soon again for another one next week. And I'm worried about losing my job witch I've been in for 14 years. Would this b classed as unfear dismissal? What's the chance I will still have a job.. Please if someone could back me up with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To my eyes this will hinge on what the section manager says when interviewed.

My guess is he may hang you out here as I doubt the company would be happy with him letting you take anything home from work. He may be faced with a decision that will cost either you or him your job, faced with that he may burn you.

If you have no witness or written permission them your job (and possible criminal conviction) hangs on what this SM does next. Have you spoken to the SM about it and what did they say ??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you in a union? Have you contacted them? They are the usual people who would back you up I'm something like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You need professional help but if you're caught stealing and your SM hangs you out you're not exactly going to be in a good spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I've seen this happen to someone before. Manager told a guy he could take some stock that was going to be thrown out anyway, guy was found with said stock and was fired. Manager denied everything in formal interview.

Generally your manager doesn't have permission to "let you" take company property home. Maybe that's different in your case, if he does have that authority then he'll say as much in the investigation, if he's not actually allowed to give you permission to take stuff home with you then he's going to deny it because it'll get him fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Have the Gardai been involved? If not then its a sacking with no more comeback in regards a criminal case

who caught you with the stuff? how did they catch you?

Too be honest, losing a job you have had for 14 years sounds like something worth paying a professional to help with. Contact a good solicitor that has experience with employment work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Have the Gardai been involved? If not then its a sacking with no more comeback in regards a criminal case

who caught you with the stuff? how did they catch you?

Too be honest, losing a job you have had for 14 years sounds like something worth paying a professional to help with. Contact a good solicitor that has experience with employment work

Advertisement