Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ballinasloe

Options
  • 08-02-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello guys

I am thinking of moving to Ballinasloe. Due to cheaper rent but people are telling me its unsafe. Any one live in Ballinasloe or rent there? Can you backup these claims?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Hello guys

I am thinking of moving to Ballinasloe. Due to cheaper rent but people are telling me its unsafe. Any one live in Ballinasloe or rent there? Can you backup these claims?

Thanks

You're thinking of moving to Ballinasloe ? :eek: Rather you than me............... Rent is cheap there for a reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Long Gone wrote: »
    You're thinking of moving to Ballinasloe ? :eek: Rather you than me............... Rent is cheap there for a reason :(

As with any town in this country it has its good and bad spots. Generally the social housing elements tend to be Hymany Park, Esker Fields, St Anne's Park, St Theresas Park and St Grellans terrace. Creagh is generally OK. Night life is a bit hit and miss, Maud Millers usually has a good atmosphere An Tain can be good too. If commuting to Galway bear in mind the toll gate on the M6, €1.90 each way for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it common for peeps to use the R348 to avoid that toll?

OP, commute is abouts an hour but can be worse in city traffic.

Aprox cost one way 7.83 € including Toll 1.90 €, Fuel consumption 5.93 €

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Long Gone wrote: »

Says the lad from Athlone.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

Thanks Guys for all your replys. I'll have to give this some thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks Guys for all your replys. I'll have to give this some thought

Where are you living currently and working ?
    Ballinasloe would be low on my list of places to live in Galway to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Usernemises

Ballinasloe is grand. Some nice enough spots and some gammy spots like anywhere. If you see a place you like post the area here and you will be advised wether or not it's a good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

km79 wrote: »
    Where are you living currently and working ?
    Ballinasloe would be low on my list of places to live in Galway to be honest

I'm living just outside Athenry and working in Galway city center. Was hoping to get cheap rent and save up to buy a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ballinasloe is too far away from Galway in my opinion to work as a commuter town on the cheap. What you save in rent you'll lose in commuting. Petrol /Diesel, the toll. The time. I'd look elsewhere for making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 critical

Ballinasloe is a lovely town. As safe and maybe safer than any town in ireland. Good people, few decent pubs and a fab hotel, 2 decent gyms with pools, football rugby golf cycling chess running clubs in town. No employment but that's not an issue for you.

Only thing is, you will find it hard to get a house to rent. Serious shortage of houses to rent at the minute.

• Advertisement

considering I did it myself for 6 months, I'd disagree. if you want cheap rent, it'd work, and the motorway makes it a half hour. Especially if you work in one of the big ballybrit factories, no fiddly NIMBY-chokeheld bridges to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

Lived in Ballinasloe (Creagh side) for the last 16 years and wouldn't live anywhere else, nice people and good pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

moved to ballinasloe last year and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Came thru town yesterday on the Galway side, my God you would think you are in rural Kenya, the state of the main road is 3rd world!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

In all fairness they're after spending the last few months digging it up to lay pipes, what d'you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

In all fairness they're after spending the last few months digging it up to lay pipes, what d'you expect?

Is it too much to ask for a decent road in a town?

Entering Loughrea around Maggie's is the same way, and no pipes laid there for a year.

It was simply a post to point out the state of the road, we shouldnt accept it, but people like you do and hence the state of our roads.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I blame the council for not ensuring the road was put back to original finish.
    But if they are planning further digging what's the point.
    as for paving the Two roundabouts to cut the cost of mowing grass. ... if that was a decision of soneone in a private firm the incompetence would not be tolerated.

Advertisement