Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook iOS battery drain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I don't use the app that much and when i read this I checked the battery usage - 24 hour usage was 15% and the previous 7 days was 45% of power. I've deleted the app :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I gave up facebook recently and deleted the app from my phone. I reckon I am getting an extra 6-8 hours battery life since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Using app causes your battery to drain shocker!

Isn't the reason why it's high up there because it's simply being used the most? Deleting it means your battery will last longer but then you won't be able to use Facebook unless you open it on the browser... and then guess what the highest battery drain app will then become?

On my phone Facebook is 2% for the last 24 hours and 8% for the last 7 days. No big deal. I user it once or twice a day for a while.

Tumblr on the other hand is 40% today and 32% over the last week, but that's because I use it quite a few times every day and it's photo and video heavy. My battery still lasts me 2 days between charges and sometimes 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Deleted FB & messenger. Was getting around 5-6 hours usage with 12 hours standby prior to this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pad e wrote: »
    Using app causes your battery to drain shocker!

Isn't the reason why it's high up there because it's simply being used the most? Deleting it means your battery will last longer but then you won't be able to use Facebook unless you open it on the browser... and then guess what the highest battery drain app will then become?

On my phone Facebook is 2% for the last 24 hours and 8% for the last 7 days. No big deal. I user it once or twice a day for a while.

Tumblr on the other hand is 40% today and 32% over the last week, but that's because I use it quite a few times every day and it's photo and video heavy. My battery still lasts me 2 days between charges and sometimes 3.

It's not just user usage. The Facebook app exploits and abuses background privileges to keep itself awake and downloading long after you've left the app. Disabling Background Refresh won't stop it. I'm skeptical that even manually killing it from the app switcher screen stops it. It's obviously passing itself off as a VOIP app to remain active.

Apple need to close up all these multitasking loopholes and include an option for disabling apps from using (or pretending to use) audio and VOIP after you've closed them, which is the source of most of these battery drain issues. They also need to start banning apps from the App Store that abuse backgrounding.

Advertisement