Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather effects on membership?

• 08-02-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Given that most of us have had very little, if any, golf in the last few months, I was wondering what effect this is having on membership renewals? There must be people out there thinking what's the point of paying money when I can't play golf.

It is really unfortunate with so many clubs struggling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Not exactly a surprise though isn't it? There is a winter every year.

They'll be out like a shot that first warm weekend in March/April though.

My club not so affected I'd say. Most people on direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Boskowski wrote: »
    Not exactly a surprise though isn't it? There is a winter every year.

There is indeed a winter every year but thankfully most of them are not the constant Atlantic train of wind and rain misery that we have been subjected to since mid November.

Record amounts of rainfall have indeed resulted in financial losses for clubs throughout the country. Loss of green fees, competition fees, bar and catering income... all a knock on effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mostly though how the course generally holds up in winter is already built into the membership price

I know reading it now it sounds like I was trying to be smart. Not intended. Sorry

What I meant was typically whether you play golf or not is often not a spur of the moment ting. Not something you abandon out of the blue. (Well erm, hopefully not anyway) and cr&up wheather happens every year just some years are better than others.
    This year has been bad but at least it hasn't killed off half the trees on the course (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I guess most clubs have been working really hard to staunch the loss of members over the last few years. I can't believe that the last few months of incessant rain won't have an effect on some renewals - especially those that were a bit marginal in the first place.

If you haven't been able to play for a few months, you get used to doing other things and maybe consider the 1000+ or whatever it is, for effectively 9 months golf doesn't represent good value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

If you're paying over 1000 a year and no golf Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb and based on what im seeing March will be out too I think you'd be entitled to question whether membership was worth it.

Pace of play in my club is bad. With a young family I dont get out twice a weekend. My course is good but not that good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

my club is down substantially from weather, nothing like this ever witnessed before. Competition income is just non existent as well as visitor fees being hit.

regarding membership its surprisingly ok.... a lot of people on s/os and there is actually a strong surplus of new members over resignations which represents a positive start to the year....the weather is a clear negative but it is not having a detrimental effect on renewals or new joiners (Thankfully ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Thankfully we were just closed for 2 days this winter.
    Great knowing course is playable 365 days a year with full greens and tees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

That's why membership run April to March, no way would anyone dip into their pockets if they had to stump up in January after that weather.

I would guess visitors fees and open fees are considered perishable to a club, they won't make up that lost income when the weather improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

RGS wrote: »
    Thankfully we were just closed for 2 days this winter.
    Great knowing course is playable 365 days a year with full greens and tees.

The perks of links golf :) I've been out 3 days a week all winter, closed one Saturday start of December and that was it. Few holes closed here and there a few days, comp changed to 15 holes instead of two 9's a couple of times. Greens in great nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Senna wrote: »
    That's why membership run April to March, no way would anyone dip into their pockets if they had to stump up in January after that weather.

I would guess visitors fees and open fees are considered perishable to a club, they won't make up that lost income when the weather improves.

I think this is a far better membership "year" that the calendar one. I know its hard for clubs to change their year, especially nowadays, but its so much easier for a member to justify the annual sub in the spring, or even better the autumn, than in January when they may not have hit a ball for 2 months. Imagine, its just after Christmas, the bills are in, the credit card is due, and you've to tell your other half that you need to pay the golf club too, and then he/she says, but you haven't played since October because of the weather !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Our membership runs August to July, works pretty well because you start thinking about saving for it once the new calendar year starts

I don't think this is an issue.
    I think we're actually quite good here. Ok we're not the algarve we don't have golf weather all year round. But we're not Germany or New England either where a course might be closed for months with snow on it. And even at the algarve, I'm sure some would be moaning about it being too hot for golf there in the summer.
    Most years we get half decent winter golf well up to Christmas and the season kinda starts paddys day so that's 3 months of dodgy weather and often enough you get 'some' golf during that time.
    People must forget the idea of dividing their annual sub by 12 and then thinking I should be paying 3 months less. It's an annual sub. You either like it enough to be a member or you're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Our membership runs August to July, works pretty well because you start thinking about saving for it once the new calendar year starts

I just assumed everywhere worked on a April to March calender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Our subs due by the end of January. Course has been closed 3 days only one of those at the weekend so no complaints really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Hoboo wrote: »
    The perks of links golf :) I've been out 3 days a week all winter, closed one Saturday start of December and that was it. Few holes closed here and there a few days, comp changed to 15 holes instead of two 9's a couple of times. Greens in great nick.

Not a links but a parkland that drains well.

Advertisement