Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

For anyone thinking of entering into a contract with this crowd have a peek at this thread and the complaints about them

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982&page=104

Jeez just had a quick read of that thread. Wish I had read that before joining them as it is like history repeating itself again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

irishchris wrote: »
    Jeez just had a quick read of that thread. Wish I had read that before joining them as it is like history repeating itself again

Yeh if you have a look through you will see people had horrendous difficulties with their ripplewave product also. The Wimax.

They just keep rebranding there products when they become toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yeh if you have a look through you will see people had horrendous difficulties with their ripplewave product also. The Wimax.

They just keep rebranding there products when they become toxic.

To be fair this (LTE) is not a rebrand of Wimax. It is factually incorrect to state that. The Wimax deployment was something of a disaster and is still I believe subject to legal action between Imagine and Motorola.

To be fair this is not a rebrand of Wimax. It is factually incorrect to state that. The Wimax deployment was something of a disaster and is still I believe subject to legal action between Imagine and Motorola.

I'm aware that what they are selling now is called LTE.

I think the main issue with folk wasn't even the poor performance but the way they were treated.

We're talking about people who had no alternative and were at the end of their tether.

They were screwed over from a height.

I'm aware that what they are selling now is called LTE.

I think the main issue with folk wasn't even the poor performance but the way they were treated.

We're talking about people who had no alternative and were at the end of their tether.

They were screwed over from a height.

I believe according to Imagine they were allegedly missold unsuitable equipment by Motorola. If that is correct hopefully they have learned from their mistakes with this new product.

• Advertisement

Actually just searched for the case there and it seems that Imagine have won the case.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/imagine-wins-multimillion-payout-after-wimax-battle-35202739.html

<snip>

look I'm going to stop posting. I will wait until I see anyone going to order their product and I'll warn them against it.

I vowed to do this as they treated me so poorly before.

Seriously Navi,

Have a look at the below.

Believe me. Things will only get worse with LTE as long as Imagine as pushing it.

I implore people not to use it based on my experiences with them.

<snip>

look I'm going to stop posting. I will wait until I see anyone going to order their product and I'll warn them against it.

I vowed to do this as they treated me so poorly before.

Seriously Navi,

Have a look at the below.

Believe me. Things will only get worse with LTE as long as Imagine as pushing it.

I implore people not to use it based on my experiences with them.

I've been a customer of theirs for nine years. I can only go on my experience of their latest product. If it's good I'll post stating that and equally if it's bad I'll post stating that.

So far I am happy with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think if there really is no other option, no other provider, no blue line, NBP is anywhere from a 2-10 year wait depending on where they rollout first. If Imagine LTE is the only game in town for the next few years then it's worth at least giving it a shot as it's better than nothing at all.

There has been a few cases where Imagine LTE is useless for some customers with speeds of no more than 2 or 3 megs, but in those situations it should be possible to cancel as the service clearly isn't working for them.

At the same time speeds of 100 megs with Imagine such as Arklows are few and far between but most people who have come from nothing would be more than happy with 20-40 megs.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Alpha_Moon wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting my netgear booster to the imagine router. Anyone have any ideas?
    Before i had imagine i had a netgear router and a booster half way down the hall to get wifi im my bedroom but for some reason when i press the wps on modem and booster they seem to see each other and my phone is showing an onternet signal in the bedroom but can't open any pages?

I'm having the exact same problem with my Netgear booster. For some reason it worked for a while after signing up to Imagine, but dropped all of a sudden even though the green light is indicating a connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Never even came into my head but makes huge sense
    Tin-foil hat on but an Imagine rep posting in the thread trying to counter the honest issues people are having?? :pac:
    Now that's comical

There are serious question marks here.

I have had serious suspicions about this for quite a while, even was concerned that that 100.00Mbps speed test was from a LAN port in the Imagine office. How could one single user get that test (with no packet overhead) from a shared 100Mbps Huawei RRU?

This latest move makes things very clear. It is quite simply nothing short of attempting to close off a competitive service, an action that is using Boards for commercial gain.

I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules here and if so I will happily delete my post with apologies but in the interests of maintaining quality debate and content, I want to make my opinion known. And that's all it is, of course - an opinion.

9726_9726 wrote: »

I have had serious suspicions about this for quite a while, even was concerned that that 100.00Mbps speed test was from a LAN port in the Imagine office. How could one single user get that test (with no packet overhead) from a shared 100Mbps Huawei RRU?

This latest move makes things very clear. It is quite simply nothing short of attempting to close off a competitive service, an action that is using Boards for commercial gain.

I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules here and if so I will happily delete my post with apologies but in the interests of maintaining quality debate and content, I want to make my opinion known. And that's all it is, of course - an opinion.

My SamKnows box recorded a speed of 101.92Mbps at 5am one morning. I assure you I am no shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

RichieO wrote: »
    I signed up 17 days ago, after many signs touting up to 70mb were put up in our road... So far they have phoned me twice to arrange for the installation team to visit, so far no visit... I am not impressed, now I'm wondering if the mast is live yet, it is out in the wild, somewhere between Ennis and kilkee in Co. Clare, does anyone know if it is live yet?
    They simply didn't show up on the agreed dates ??
    I remember having to wait 2 months between signing up and getting an installation, but once date was agreed , they came and installed without rescheduling..

I signed up on Monday and was told they would be in touch in 10 days to give me appointment time, I got a call the Friday morning (same week) to say they had a crew in the my area if I would like to be installed. I guess a lot of people seem to be having different experiences with Imagine. Thankfully all good so far for me hitting 80/90 mb all week. I did however hook up my own router and knocked off their wifi as it's range was poor. If only my Sky on demand would work, I would be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Bad from Arklow, must have been a tatler in school :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

lfc2000 wrote: »
    When did u sign up. I signed up less than a week ago and I got a text yesterday and said it should be live by the end of next week. It's wasn't supposed to be live till mid December

I signed up mid Oct. First I have been told that the mast will go live mid Nov but later on Imagine sent a text stating the live date will be end Nov latest.
    That would match with the text you got.

Curiosity question: when I rang them they told me that that 340 ish slots of the legendary 400 were gone. What did they tell you?

If you have no better options like fibre, I think you will be ok, once you can get a decent signal. I went from VF and Meteor ( with 20/25Mbps) to Imagine, because of the much higher cap. I have generally had good speeds with them , with the odd drop off of speeds, but nothing serious.
    And as was posted in here before, since they did some "work" in the last few weeks , those drops offs seem to have stopped and I have not yet encountered the speed dropping below 20Mbps at peak times for the last week.

Having said that, I am concerned about the posts around their customer service (or lack thereof), so I am keeping my fingers crossed I will never need to call them.

My advice to new users is to have a realistic expectation, it is not fibre, it is LTE and it is probably slightly over-subscribed, but (in general) it is working with higher speeds and caps than other mobile operators (besides perhaps Three AYCE- but let's not go there again) and be prepared for not very good customer service.

Your post is giving me hope. 20Mb would be ten times as fast to my current speed.
    The thing I am a bit concerned about is the LOS. But if they stick to their promise about the 30Mb minimum for the contract to start it is worth a try.

In parallel I'm checking VF 4G 50GB as alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

9726_9726 wrote: »

I'm getting a consistent 94mb. So it is possible. Pretty sure my mast is fairly full too. I do believe Arkl0w may have certain ties though. Explains alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I know someone who had it installed near Paulstown in Kilkenny.

90 hard wired. 70 wirelessly.

7upfree wrote: »
    I know someone who had it installed near Paulstown in Kilkenny.

90 hard wired. 70 wirelessly.

Just for balance in my area I know two houses (family members) other than mine who are getting 0.2-2mb consistently every evening who have it installed and that is direct ethernet to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

irishchris wrote: »
    Just for balance in my area I know two houses (family members) other than mine who are getting 0.2-2mb consistently every evening who have it installed and that is direct ethernet to PC.

It's a west thing Chris I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's a west thing Chris I think.

Oh no .......

km79 wrote: »
    Oh no .......

I don't know that but the complaints I've seen seems to be a lot from limerick. Clare and Galway. It's either waiting to be installed. Mast still not live or bad service. The mast I've signed up to wasnt to be launched till middle of December but I got a text that it will be live if a few days. Now I still could get a lot of **** but will have to wait and see.

km79 wrote: »
    Oh no .......

I don't know that but the complaints I've seen seems to be a lot from limerick. Clare and Galway. It's either waiting to be installed. Mast still not live or bad service. The mast I've signed up to wasnt to be launched till middle of December but I got a text that it will be live if a few days. Now I still could get a lot of **** but will have to wait and see.
    Fingers crossed all goes well for you mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

volker81k wrote: »
    Your post is giving me hope. 20Mb would be ten times as fast to my current speed.
    The thing I am a bit concerned about is the LOS. But if they stick to their promise about the 30Mb minimum for the contract to start it is worth a try.

In parallel I'm checking VF 4G 50GB as alternative.

Yes, keep up hope.. But if you are looking at VF, I think they do also do a 150GB package, but only in their shops.

And to further your hopes, over the last few days my speeds are generally between 40 and 70 with the odd test going below 40 slightly and one yesterday morning at 100 .. That is at about 13-15 kms I think.

It seems they may be poor with customer service but in general I think there are far more people with good speeds than really poor speeds, that is if I look at the last few days of posts here, with the unfortunate exception of Chris who seemed to have been royally scrwd over by them.

I signed up mid Oct. First I have been told that the mast will go live mid Nov but later on Imagine sent a text stating the live date will be end Nov latest.
    That would match with the text you got.

Curiosity question: when I rang them they told me that that 340 ish slots of the legendary 400 were gone. What did they tell you?

Sorry I should have said. I'm in a different area than u I think. Rathangan mast Kildale. I was jus t saying how quick it's moving compared to other places

And to further your hopes, over the last few days my speeds are generally between 40 and 70 with the odd test going below 40 slightly and one yesterday morning at 100 .. That is at about 13-15 kms I think...

That sounds promising. Just checked the distance on google and the mast is only 8km away.
    Sorry I should have said. I'm in a different area than u I think. Rathangan mast Kildale. I was jus t saying how quick it's moving compared to other places

Ah sorry, misunderstood your post there.

That sounds promising. Just checked the distance on google and the mast is only 8km away.

Ah sorry, misunderstood your post there.

No ur grand it was my fault I should have said where I was talking about. I'm probably a bit of a grump here but people on here need to stop talking about been happy with 20mbs when all the only ever got was 2 mbs and paying imagine for up to 70 mbs that the state . I swear they can adjust the data per mast as they buy bandwidth and would only love to slow down certain masts. I was told by imagine if I pay for up to 70 I should get at least 50 .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackos2500

Does anybody know what kind of configuration Imagine use with their CPE and access point? Does the CPE do NAT or is it done on the AP? Are they in any way open to letting you connect your own router directly to the CPE (properly without double NAT)? Is it possible to get SIP details for the phone service?

I'm with Ripplecom at the moment and they gave me the PPPoE login details so I bridge their CPE with my MikroTik router which is great since I can SSH into my NAS when I'm not at home and it means I don't have to wait for support to fix something.

I got a text from Imagine the other day saying that our mast is ready and we should be getting a call after the 20th of November... (I rang them up in August and it's been nothing but delay after delay since)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

jackos2500 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what kind of configuration Imagine use with their CPE and access point? Does the CPE do NAT or is it done on the AP? Are they in any way open to letting you connect your own router directly to the CPE (properly without double NAT)? Is it possible to get SIP details for the phone service?

I'm with Ripplecom at the moment and they gave me the PPPoE login details so I bridge their CPE with my MikroTik router which is great since I can SSH into my NAS when I'm not at home and it means I don't have to wait for support to fix something.

I got a text from Imagine the other day saying that our mast is ready and we should be getting a call after the 20th of November... (I rang them up in August and it's been nothing but delay after delay since)

I was exactly the same as you, with exactly the same questions (see my earlier posts from July - September).

The short answer is no, they don't use PPPoE and they currently have no bridging mechanism in place. They do the NAT from your LAN on the CPE obviously, and once you have a static IP, I presume they do 1:1 NAT further upstream.

I eventually got a workable solution in place that does allow inbound SSH (and everything else except HTTP(S), but it took a bit of work to get to that point. I had to get on to second line support (which is a task in itself) and explain my extant configuration and why their CPE was not going to cut it as a replacement. The first thing to do is to get a static IP address. I asked for this on the very first sales call, and to be fair it was sorted out a couple of hours after install. As well as that, I have the following:

Static IP (89.127.62.XX)
    Imagine CPE (static 192.168.1.1) ->
    My router WAN interface (static 192.168.1.254) ->
    My router LAN interface (192.168.0.254) ->
    The rest of my LAN (192.168.0.0/24)

On their CPE, the WiFI, DHCP & SIP ATA are disabled. My router WAN interface is added to the DMZ of their box such that all internet traffic other than 80/443 (and possibly 8080) passes through to my own router. The downside of course is that it is still double NAT'd, but it does work. I was assured at the time that they were working on a proper bridging solution but I have not as yet followed up on that.

I do not have an analogue phone, only an IP phone that I used with Ripplecom. I got the SIP details off Imagine second level support without too much difficulty and my phone works fine, although I hardly ever use it.

As always, YMMV, and it may depend on the vagaries of whomever you deal with in support. Do push them on the status of the bridging though. That needs to be sorted out.

Good luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

jackos2500 wrote: »

I'm with Ripplecom at the moment and they gave me the PPPoE login details so I bridge their CPE with my MikroTik router
    They don't use PPPoe, authentication done by SIM card in CPE .
    I presume they have different types and makes of CPEs, so it hard to tell which one can be bridged, but I believe it is possible for some, hardware modification has to be done to do so ( their CPE supplied with power over the Ethernet , so your router just won't be able to power it up, you need power over the Ethernet PSU etc)

Advertisement