Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackos2500

I was exactly the same as you, with exactly the same questions (see my earlier posts from July - September).

The short answer is no, they don't use PPPoE and they currently have no bridging mechanism in place. They do the NAT from your LAN on the CPE obviously, and once you have a static IP, I presume they do 1:1 NAT further upstream.

I eventually got a workable solution in place that does allow inbound SSH (and everything else except HTTP(S), but it took a bit of work to get to that point. I had to get on to second line support (which is a task in itself) and explain my extant configuration and why their CPE was not going to cut it as a replacement. The first thing to do is to get a static IP address. I asked for this on the very first sales call, and to be fair it was sorted out a couple of hours after install. As well as that, I have the following:

Static IP (89.127.62.XX)
    Imagine CPE (static 192.168.1.1) ->
    My router WAN interface (static 192.168.1.254) ->
    My router LAN interface (192.168.0.254) ->
    The rest of my LAN (192.168.0.0/24)

On their CPE, the WiFI, DHCP & SIP ATA are disabled. My router WAN interface is added to the DMZ of their box such that all internet traffic other than 80/443 (and possibly 8080) passes through to my own router. The downside of course is that it is still double NAT'd, but it does work. I was assured at the time that they were working on a proper bridging solution but I have not as yet followed up on that.

I do not have an analogue phone, only an IP phone that I used with Ripplecom. I got the SIP details off Imagine second level support without too much difficulty and my phone works fine, although I hardly ever use it.

As always, YMMV, and it may depend on the vagaries of whomever you deal with in support. Do push them on the status of the bridging though. That needs to be sorted out.

Good luck!
    Thanks for getting back to me, it's good to know that there's at least a solution that should get me most of the way there, even if there's a bit of work involved to get to that point. (when I first got Ripplecom set up it was a disaster with NAT and DHCP running on the antenna with the default password) I'll definitely be asking about bridging though, and if I get anywhere with that I'll report back.

Fingers crossed I'll get a call from them fairly soon and I'll be able to get everything sorted.

They don't use PPPoe, authentication done by SIM card in CPE .
    I presume they have different types and makes of CPEs, so it hard to tell which one can be bridged, but I believe it is possible for some, hardware modification has to be done to do so ( their CPE supplied with power over the Ethernet , so your router just won't be able to power it up, you need power over the Ethernet PSU etc)
    That makes sense. I have a passive PoE injector so that won't be a problem if I do manage to bypass their router and just connect directly to the antenna.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jackos2500 wrote: »
    That makes sense. I have a passive PPPoE injector so that won't be a problem if I do manage to bypass their router and just connect directly to the antenna.

PPPoE ≠ PoE :pac:

oscarBravo wrote: »
    PPPoE ≠ PoE :pac:
    Woops, I meant PoE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Just beware that some of their equipment do not use the common 48v PoE voltage. For example, some PoE devices are designed to work with as low as 12 volts, so attaching a 48 volt PoE injector could blow the equipment.

• Advertisement

editorsean wrote: »
    Just beware that some of their equipment do not use the common 48v PoE voltage. For example, some PoE devices are designed to work with as low as 12 volts, so attaching a 48 volt PoE injector could blow the equipment.

I was aware of this, but thanks. Ripplecom's MikroTik antenna uses one of those cheap passive injectors at 48v but I will be doubly sure to check if Imagine's runs at a different voltage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

jackos2500 wrote: »
    I was aware of this, but thanks. Ripplecom's MikroTik antenna uses one of those cheap passive injectors at 48v but I will be doubly sure to check if Imagine's runs at a different voltage.

They use Gemtek, Greenpacket, Huawei CPEs
    I'got Gemtek wvrtm -127acn
    Router+Antenna running at single PSU 56v, so I presume Antenna alone consumes 48v.
    Antenna at this kit only behaves as LTE modem,
    NAT,routing , VOIP , WIFI done by router .
    Router is based on Linux

Gemtek wvrtr128gn kit works differently, NAT , DHCP running on the antenna( AFAIK) , so no hope to bridge it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I know you can't pick the router you get but I wonder which is the better? I should be getting install in next 2 weeks, anyone get a fix for sky on demand not working? Also is everyone having tryible with this or just a few, I have a good net gear router I might use as an access point but will the double NAT give me trouble for online gaming with Xbox One? I'm currently last 8 years only getting 0.9mb dl and 0.2mb up, fibre supposed to be in my area in next 3 years so hopefully imagine can tie me over until then! I'm 5km from mast with perfect line of sight, following thread since page 160 :) sorry about all the questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One of the speed issues reported was linked to the Huawei CPE, this may have been fully patched now. As a rule though their CPE tends to be decent, they're market leaders when it comes to traditional FDD routers.

If you just use your netgear as an AP then you wont have double NAT and thus no problems. Its more a problem for enthusiasts like Dero who run their own externally accessible services. As long as the imagine gear has UPnP enabled any console should be plug and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

alec76 wrote: »
    They use Gemtek, Greenpacket, Huawei CPEs

Router+Antenna running at single PSU 56v, so I presume Antenna alone consumes 48v.

Correction, after some measurements ,
    PoE pinout for this unit :
    Pin 4 Vport positive 55v
    Pin 5 Vport positive 55v
    Pin 7 Vport negative
    Pin 8 Vport negative
    So hell no, you won't get just any PoE injector , it has to be with proper pinout and voltage too.

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    Correction, after some measurements ,
    PoE pinout for this unit :
    Pin 4 Vport positive 55v
    Pin 5 Vport positive 55v
    So hell no, you won't get just any PoE injector , it has to be with proper pinout and voltage too.

Hmmm... Well I'll double check before plugging anything into any of their gear if I end up needing to do that. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I know you can't pick the router you get but I wonder which is the better? I should be getting install in next 2 weeks, anyone get a fix for sky on demand not working? Also is everyone having tryible with this or just a few, I have a good net gear router I might use as an access point but will the double NAT give me trouble for online gaming with Xbox One? I'm currently last 8 years only getting 0.9mb dl and 0.2mb up, fibre supposed to be in my area in next 3 years so hopefully imagine can tie me over until then! I'm 5km from mast with perfect line of sight, following thread since page 160 :) sorry about all the questions

I have the Huawei, it is got great Wifi coverage (all house is covered) and Sky on demand is working , just recorded three episodes last night. The only issue I am having is with netflix on my fire stick, for some reason it sometimes takes a long time, repeated attempts to get it working. Netflix on my smart TV has no issues whatsoever, so not sure what is causing this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So one month in and all is going great. Speedtests have been consistently higher than when it was installed. We used to be getting 40-50, now its over 80... even at peak times. Again we we were lucky to get a good 3-4 (on a 20mb package) at peak with Nova. I've still got the fear that's this will go tits up if/when they oversell it.

5796826909.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Another delay .............next month now MAYBE
    Might chance lightnet yet
    Unlimited is so tempting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

km79 wrote: »
    Another delay .............next month now MAYBE
    Might chance lightnet yet
    Unlimited is so tempting

Forget about it!!

What sort of packages are lightnet offering?

Forget about it!!

What sort of packages are lightnet offering?

55 euro unlimited LTE
    100 euro set up but no router
    18 month contract BUT big difference is the cancellation fee which is pay up remainder of contract as opposed to the flat 100 fee charged by imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

55 euro unlimited LTE
    18 month contract BUT big difference is the cancellation fee which is pay up remainder of contract as opposed to the flat 100 fee charged by imagine

Looks like phone line not included in that price either.

leex wrote: »
    Looks like phone line not included in that price either.

Don't want one to be honest

55 euro unlimited LTE

I'm still at odds over the setup fee.

Sky come to the gaf, put up a dish, run cable and stick in the box. I think they might charge 20 at most?

18 months contract is long to get stuck in if decent Broadband comes your way in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

That's the reality of rural life, WISPs have always charged a setup fee. Sky can charge less as it is a much larger operation and also has other streams of revenue to off-set and absorb installation costs like the various content packages.

• Advertisement

morgana wrote: »
    That's the reality of rural life, WISPs have always charged a setup fee. Sky can charge less as it is a much larger operation and also has other streams of revenue to off-set and absorb installation costs like the various content packages.

Yeh makes sense that if there are no other providers they would pass the cost to customer.

I remember the mess they made of my setup. Sat the modem on top of a kitchen press!! Trying running cat5 from there to your living room!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappy123

Just got a text
    Site in east Galway delayed by ANOTHER month
    Got the same one, total joke. Took 100 off me in August and still no service. Time for comreg to get involved. If you look at the updates on their website it is saying end of January at the earliest.

• They bloody send these stupid emails every time you hit the daily 20gb cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They bloody send these stupid emails every time you hit the daily 20gb cap

What speed do they reduce it to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

How can I get out of contract with this outfit. Great speeds at the beginning but it has went down till fast. I have rang, emailed c/s and sent them photos of speedtests to show the good speeds and the bad speeds. Over 90 mbs in the morning and below 10 in the evenings. Sometimes below 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

How can I get out of contract with this outfit. Great speeds at the beginning but it has went down till fast. I have rang, emailed c/s and sent them photos of speedtests to show the good speeds and the bad speeds. Over 90 mbs in the morning and below 10 in the evenings. Sometimes below 5.

You could try contacting on Facebook as they are fairly active on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What are peoples opinions on imagine? I'm stuck with a semi working eir fibre connection giving me 16mb down and 5mb up (even though a month ago I was at 25mb down)

I would do anything for some stable 50-100mb internet. Do they only have the one package with the 20gig allowance or is there an unlimited package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

nanook5 wrote: »
    What speed do they reduce it to ?
    I think it 1mb down and 56 Kbps up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

rob808 wrote: »
    I think it 1mb down and 56 Kbps up

I thought it was more like 6 down? Hit the limit twice in the past two days and Netflix was still at a fairly decent quality still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What are peoples opinions on imagine? I'm stuck with a semi working eir fibre connection giving me 16mb down and 5mb up (even though a month ago I was at 25mb down)

I would do anything for some stable 50-100mb internet. Do they only have the one package with the 20gig allowance or is there an unlimited package?

16 meg down/5 up on FTTC I would stick with that. At least you can download all you want and your speeds aren't bad. Maybe get onto Eir to find out why your speeds dropped from 25.

Imagine is very mixed, Quite a few people are getting very varied speeds through the day, some are only getting 2 to 3 megs and some are getting 90-100 megs all the time. The 20 gig allowance is over a 24 hour period and there is no options to extend the cap and there is no unlimited and never will be.

Advertisement