Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What are peoples opinions on imagine? I'm stuck with a semi working eir fibre connection giving me 16mb down and 5mb up (even though a month ago I was at 25mb down)

I would do anything for some stable 50-100mb internet. Do they only have the one package with the 20gig allowance or is there an unlimited package?

If those speeds were actually stable and you'd decent latency I'd swap my current (great) Imagine speeds for that. Honestly, there's no substitute for a good wired connection; you don't have the headaches of download limits as well as the numerous factors that can massively impact a wireless connection.

• rob808 wrote: »
    I think it 1mb down and 56 Kbps up

It was around 5mb down and 512k up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If those speeds were actually stable and you'd decent latency I'd swap my current (great) Imagine speeds for that. Honestly, there's no substitute for a good wired connection; you don't have the headaches of download limits as well as the numerous factors that can massively impact a wireless connection.

Problem is my eir connection is anything but stable, 17mb one minute and <1mb the next, it's infuriating tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Problem is my eir connection is anything but stable, 17mb one minute and <1mb the next, it's infuriating tbh

get onto Eir, FTTC is normally very stable. If they can sort it out, you should be grand with those speeds. Perhaps Eir need to lower your profile to 15. I would still take a stable wired 15 over Imagine any day of the week.

Imagine is only a last resort for those who either don't have DSL, poor 3g/4g signals or single digit broadband speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It was around 5mb down and 512k up
    ok thanks that not bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

5mb down on a dsl line will be better than anything imagine can offer going forward.

Imagine won't turn away custom. They will oversubscribe and drain the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think (HOPE) that Imagine will put up more masts around the country before oversubscribing above the 400 per sector limit. Currently their coverage is very sparse around the country so a each new mast with 4 sectors and 400 per sector is 1600 new connections for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    55 euro unlimited LTE
    100 euro set up but no router
    18 month contract BUT big difference is the cancellation fee which is pay up remainder of contract as opposed to the flat 100 fee charged by imagine

I was mistaken
    Lightnet's cancellation is 20 euro per month of remaining contract not the full 55 a month
    Anyway
    Theybhave a 3/4 week waiting list for installation so I'm booked in now for start of December so will investigate further
    Will need to buy a router myself if I go with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I think (HOPE) that Imagine will put up more masts around the country before oversubscribing above the 400 per sector limit. Currently their coverage is very sparse around the country so a each new mast with 4 sectors and 400 per sector is 1600 new connections for them.
    I don't think they will they be hoping the big carriers like Eir and 3,Vodafone will be putting up new mast and piggie back of them.I also think they wouldn't want to waste more money given the NBP might start early 2018.

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't think they will they be hoping the big carriers like Eir and 3,Vodafone will be putting up new mast and piggie back of them.I also think they wouldn't want to waste more money given the NBP might start early 2018.
    Maybe, I don't really know but if you look at their coverage map, there are a lot of counties with one or no mast, there must be a lot of potential there for them.

Ultimately though, the decision to oversubscribe will be an accounting decision. Some bean-counter will come along and say look, the customers can take a few mb hit, it will generate a bit of extra noise for the call-centre but it will improve the bottom line. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Croftman

Currently working off 2mb max on Laois/Kildare border. Imagine now advertising around the area. Reading this wouldn't make me jump too quickly but they'd surely provide better than the speed I'm getting at the minute? Has anyone from around this area signed up yet? Also, I have a terrible mobile signal where I live (none in the house bar at the front) & no 3G inside

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

I have given up waiting for them to connect. For luck my current wireless ISP, Aptus, contacted me offering increased speeds from 7mb to 20mb down & 1mb to 2mb up with contention reduced from 25:1 to 12:1. They also said the speed would eventually increase to 30mb down in time.

I rang Imagine after speaking to Aptus last week to go about getting my €100 back. Told them I had signed up on 25th July on premise I would be connected by late September, yet still no sign. They gave me the usual story about Eir holding them up connecting the system. Just said that I will be signing up with Aptus within the next week if I don't get connected to Imagine. Lo and behold 24 hours' later I get a text saying to expect a call within the next 10 days.

Going to stick with Current ISP as it has served me well & I just don't want to take the risk of becoming one of the unlucky Imagine customers suffering connection & speed problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Croftman wrote: »
    Currently working off 2mb max on Laois/Kildare border. Imagine now advertising around the area. Reading this wouldn't make me jump too quickly but they'd surely provide better than the speed I'm getting at the minute? Has anyone from around this area signed up yet? Also, I have a terrible mobile signal where I live (none in the house bar at the front) & no 3G inside
    Yeah I'm in your area and I have signed up, mast going live this week then installation in next 10 days I'm told, I'm 5km from dunmurry hill site with clear line of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Are you sure about those numbers?

I thought it was 400 per mast (and likely much more on @Irishchris' mast :rolleyes:). Also I thought a sector covered 120 degrees, so a full 360 degree coverage would be provided by 3 sectors on a mast. Somebody did maths on this earlier in the thread, I don't have time to look for it right now, but it's here somewhere.

I'm only going by what the engineer told me. I asked him if they were near filling up the 400 quota for the mast and he said no, it was 400 per sector and there was 4 sectors on the mast. Maybe I picked him up wrong on the number of sectors but he definitely said 400 per sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quarter of a meg each, lovely.

thought imagine lte had unlimited usage between certain hours? just off the phone to one of their reps and was very close to actually trying them until i asked that question and was told no its monitored at all times. I game on pc/ps4 so i download a lot of games as well as watch most of tv/movies online so 20gigs a day is a no go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They took that away but told nobody.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thought imagine lte had unlimited usage between certain hours? just off the phone to one of their reps and was very close to actually trying them until i asked that question and was told no its monitored at all times. I game on pc/ps4 so i download a lot of games as well as watch most of tv/movies online so 20gigs a day is a no go

it's monitored 24/7. you get warning emails after 15 gigs and past 20 they throttle you but it gets reset the next day. Gaming is the one thing that would be difficult if your downloading games alot.

e.g. last weeks Call Of Duty Modern Warfare remastered is download only and it was around 44 gigs. The update patch for the Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare as another couple of gigs on top of that.

ED E wrote: »
    They took that away but told nobody.

ah well, even my crappy FTTC is better so, wouldnt have been to bad if i just downloaded my games at night. Silly decision, What is it with ISP's and crappy decisions and service in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I'm only going by what the engineer told me. I asked him if they were near filling up the 400 quota for the mast and he said no, it was 400 per sector and there was 4 sectors on the mast. Maybe I picked him up wrong on the number of sectors but he definitely said 400 per sector.

From their facebook page:

LTE is an Advanced Fibre Speed Broadband Wireless Network that we are rapidly rolling out across Ireland.
    It provides real speeds of upto 70Mb+ broadband. Each LTE mast is limited to 400 customers, ensuring ongoing Quality of Service is provided to active customers.

From their facebook page:

LTE is an Advanced Fibre Speed Broadband Wireless Network that we are rapidly rolling out across Ireland.
    It provides real speeds of upto 70Mb+ broadband. Each LTE mast is limited to 400 customers, ensuring ongoing Quality of Service is provided to active customers.

I'm only telling you what the engineer told me. I work in the IT industry for a number of years and generally I tend to believe what the tech guy will tell you about a product on the Q.T. rather than the marketing guy.

I mean even the first line of what you pasted is misleading.
    LTE is an Advanced Fibre Speed Broadband Wireless Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

What way does it work? Is the from 12am to 12pm as in if you hit the 20gb limit at 10pm is it reset at midnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I'm only telling you what the engineer told me. I work in the IT industry for a number of years and generally I tend to believe what the tech guy will tell you about a product on the Q.T. rather than the marketing guy.

I mean even the first line of what you pasted is misleading.

Fully agree.. Just pasting what they claim :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

On their website they say "Home phone on your mobile ". Anyone know how this is done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappy123

This is the latest update about the tower in Galway east, they say it is best they are upfront what a contradiction when they were telling me the tower had been rigged with their equipment. Paid €100 reservation fee in august told we will be live start of September and now they are saying January. Sure this now needs to reported to comreg false advertising with signs saying LTE broadband in your area and they have had our money for almost 4 months and no product! Does anyone else feel the same?

Cappataggle

Co. Galway - Site Update

November 10th

Hi, this is a progress update on your local LTE High Speed

Broadband service. Unfortunately, we are still experiencing

delays with third party suppliers which has meant that your

local LTE service will not be built and commissioned until the

end of January at the earliest.

We understand that this is not what you want to be told but

we think it best to be upfront and transparent, keeping you

fully in the loop about the delivery of your LTE Fibre Speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

cappy123 wrote: »
    This is the latest update about the tower in Galway east, they say it is best they are upfront what a contradiction when they were telling me the tower had been rigged with their equipment. Paid €100 reservation fee in august told we will be live start of September and now they are saying January. Sure this now needs to reported to comreg false advertising with signs saying LTE broadband in your area and they have had our money for almost 4 months and no product! Does anyone else feel the same?

Cappataggle

Co. Galway - Site Update

November 10th

Hi, this is a progress update on your local LTE High Speed

Broadband service. Unfortunately, we are still experiencing

delays with third party suppliers which has meant that your

local LTE service will not be built and commissioned until the

end of January at the earliest.

We understand that this is not what you want to be told but

we think it best to be upfront and transparent, keeping you

fully in the loop about the delivery of your LTE Fibre Speed

Also galway east
    Also cappatagle
    This is what I received yday

Hi, just a quick update on your LTE High Speed Broadband Service. Unfortunately your local LTE High-site has been further delayed as a result of third party connectivity. We are working to resolve this and will contact you again at the start of December with further updates.

I'm going with lightnet now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ebalfe

I had Imagine installed today in Kinnegad, Co. Meath.
    I asked the engineer to ensure the router will hit all of the rooms in the house and place it in the middle of the house. Of course he goes and installs it in the further room away from the living space in the house so it barley hits the sitting room and no bedrooms at all.
    He mentioned to me on the phone that you can boost the signal in the Imagine router they supply.
    Does anyone know about this and can it be done?

Going to have to get imagine back out to the house to rewire the entire thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

nanook5 wrote: »
    On their website they say "Home phone on your mobile ". Anyone know how this is done ?

Again this is a false promise which has never been delivered upon along with the basic usage monitor that you would expect from an ISP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

ebalfe wrote: »
    I had Imagine installed today in Kinnegad, Co. Meath.
    I asked the engineer to ensure the router will hit all of the rooms in the house and place it in the middle of the house. Of course he goes and installs it in the further room away from the living space in the house so it barley hits the sitting room and no bedrooms at all.
    He mentioned to me on the phone that you can boost the signal in the Imagine router they supply.
    Does anyone know about this and can it be done?

Going to have to get imagine back out to the house to rewire the entire thing.

You could run an ethernet cable to another stronger range router or use a Powerline wireless repeater.

Alternatively you could do what I did and get them back to correctly put it where you asked in first place

Advertisement