Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

km79 wrote: »
    Also galway east
    Also cappatagle
    This is what I received yday

Hi, just a quick update on your LTE High Speed Broadband Service. Unfortunately your local LTE High-site has been further delayed as a result of third party connectivity. We are working to resolve this and will contact you again at the start of December with further updates.

I'm going with lightnet now I think

If you are then please update this existing lightnet thread with how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Scruff wrote: »
    If you are then please update this existing lightnet thread with how you get on!

thanks had not spotted that thread
    going to have a read now

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

ED E wrote: »
    They took that away but told nobody.

I was all lined up to get Imagine when it came to my area, the extra download capacity during the night was one of the thing that swung me. When they rang me up to order it it was one of the first things i asked if the still allowed the extra downloads at night. Had to cancel when i heard it was stopped. While 20Gb a day is great most of the time there are some days that i would a little more to download new games and updates.

They also used to state on the website that it was a 600Gb a month, 20gb a day. I was working out my usage and to be honest i wasn't getting much over 400Gb a month with heavy downloads. If imagine removed the daily cap and just had a monthly cap i think a lot more people would be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ebalfe wrote: »
    I had Imagine installed today in Kinnegad, Co. Meath.
    I asked the engineer to ensure the router will hit all of the rooms in the house and place it in the middle of the house. Of course he goes and installs it in the further room away from the living space in the house so it barley hits the sitting room and no bedrooms at all.
    He mentioned to me on the phone that you can boost the signal in the Imagine router they supply.
    Does anyone know about this and can it be done?

Going to have to get imagine back out to the house to rewire the entire thing.

To be fair most providers will only install it in a convenient location for them and won't internally cable. It's pretty easy sort yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My wi max isnt working this morning. Lte csn not be installed here. Can they just stop the service with no notice. Fully paid up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It may just be an outage.

I hope so. What time does the phone line open at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

in terms of replacement routers for LTE broadband what did people buy ? There are a fair few net gear ones reduced on Amazon for a few days but I've no idea which one is suitable ! House is a smallish dormer so range isn't really an issue I'd say. More speed and connectivity

Back working now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

whelan2 wrote: »
    Back working now

Just watch out - they have ceased services on some people without notice and without cancelling their Direct Debit! :eek:

Have a look back at this person's posts.

• Advertisement

Just watch out - they have ceased services on some people without notice and without cancelling their Direct Debit! :eek:

Have a look back at this person's posts.
    I am holding on phone to talk to them........................:mad:

No plans to decommission the local site. We will get 30 days notice. This morning there was an outage in the area

whelan2 wrote: »
    No plans to decommission the local site. We will get 30 days notice. This morning there was an outage in the area

@prince690 didn't get any notice from them and was still paying the direct debit for the non existent service months later. They are slick at sales but shambolic at customer service, so you have been warned. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

@prince690 didn't get any notice from them and was still paying the direct debit for the non existent service months later. They are slick at sales but shambolic at customer service, so you have been warned. ;)

Its possible the notification was just missed. A sample size of one is no sample at all.

Its possible the notification was just missed. A sample size of one is no sample at all.

Fair enough ... doesn't explain the continued DD though ... a professional organisation would have ceased that as soon as the service was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fair enough ... doesn't explain the continued DD though ... a professional organisation would have ceased that as soon as the service was cancelled.

They done this to me back in 2011 I think or 2010.

Cancelled the service and they continued to bill me for 3 months after.

I'd be interested to know how many times they have chanced their arm like this?

Signing into a contract with this crowd is not to be considered unless it's a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Anyone know more about the throttling of speed? If I hit 20gb at 10pm would it reset at midnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm looking at a few companies that provide wireless Lte broadband at the moment, all are saying I should have a great signal where I am. My question is what are the drawbacks of say a good unlimited Lte connection vs my current 16mbs fttc connection

I'm looking at a few companies that provide wireless Lte broadband at the moment, all are saying I should have a great signal where I am. My question is what are the drawbacks of say a good unlimited Lte connection vs my current 16mbs fttc connection

Keep the 16meg fttc. LTE isn't going to touch it.

Draw backs,

They have to put an antenna up for a start a most which charge an extortionate fee for installing it.

When they oversubscribe the service you will not be able to browse the web or download. Over subscription isn't that a huge problem with FTTC compared to LTE.

All I can do is warn you based on my previous experiences with imagine. Don't touch them. Plenty of threads and info on here warning against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm only going by what the engineer told me. I asked him if they were near filling up the 400 quota for the mast and he said no, it was 400 per sector and there was 4 sectors on the mast. Maybe I picked him up wrong on the number of sectors but he definitely said 400 per sector.

Generally, I'd trust what the engineer says more, than what the marketing plebs put together.

That assumes 400 per sector, 90 degree sectors for a 360 (4 sectors), 1600 customers per site. Could also be 120 degree sectors with overlap.

With only being able to get 700-1000 mbit/s to some sites that don't have fiber, that's some serious contention Imagine are running on there.

(1600 customers at 1 Gbit/s uplink would be about half a mbit/s per customer)

/M

• Advertisement

Keep the 16meg fttc. LTE isn't going to touch it.

Draw backs,

They have to put an antenna up for a start a most which charge an extortionate fee for installing it.

When they oversubscribe the service you will not be able to browse the web or download. Over subscription isn't that a huge problem with FTTC compared to LTE.

All I can do is warn you based on my previous experiences with imagine. Don't touch them. Plenty of threads and info on here warning against them.

im being quoted the average speed at my location is 60mbs which would be a real nice boost of i even got half that

im being quoted the average speed at my location is 60mbs which would be a real nice boost of i even got half that

NO NO NO!!

It's still LTE.

Ask anyone here fitz, even the guys who are having a good experience with LTE which they would prefer. A 16mb FTTC connection or a 30mb capped LTE connection and I know what they would all say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

NO NO NO!!

It's still LTE.

Ask anyone here fitz, even the guys who are having a good experience with LTE which they would prefer. A 16mb FTTC connection or a 30mb capped LTE connection and I know what they would all say.

Seriously man, I know you've had issues with them but you're beginning to sound like a broken record on this based on an experience from 4 years ago or more. There will be people who have bad experiences like IrishChris the same as you hear from Vodafone and Eir customers but generally people who are getting a good service will not post on here so you only hear the down side. I have no affiliation with Imagine but their service has so far exceeded what they promised and hasn't degraded with the addition of numerous installations in my area. I may have to eat my words in the future but currently the are so much better than any other options in my area it's not even funny.

NO NO NO!!

It's still LTE.

if you where to ask me should you join eir i would give you similar response tbh, fed up with that shower of incompetent cowboys, plus im looking at lightnet and magnet who both offer unlimited data packages, daily caps are a no go for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Seriously man, I know you've had issues with them but you're beginning to sound like a broken record on this based on an experience from 4 years ago or more. There will be people who have bad experiences like IrishChris the same as you hear from Vodafone and Eir customers but generally people who are getting a good service will not post on here so you only hear the down side. I have no affiliation with Imagine but their service has so far exceeded what they promised and hasn't degraded with the addition of numerous installations in my area. I may have to eat my words in the future but currently the are so much better than any other options in my area it's not even funny.

+1. His rants are based on non scientific anecdotal evidence of a former Imagine product.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

cappy123 wrote: »
    This is the latest update about the tower in Galway east, they say it is best they are upfront what a contradiction when they were telling me the tower had been rigged with their equipment. Paid €100 reservation fee in august told we will be live start of September and now they are saying January. Sure this now needs to reported to comreg false advertising with signs saying LTE broadband in your area and they have had our money for almost 4 months and no product! Does anyone else feel the same?

Cappataggle

Co. Galway - Site Update

November 10th

Hi, this is a progress update on your local LTE High Speed

Broadband service. Unfortunately, we are still experiencing

delays with third party suppliers which has meant that your

local LTE service will not be built and commissioned until the

end of January at the earliest.

We understand that this is not what you want to be told but

we think it best to be upfront and transparent, keeping you

fully in the loop about the delivery of your LTE Fibre Speed

Got this message too, I'm seriously thinking of asking for my 100 euro back, can they refuse to give it to me?

I'm on ****ty 2.5mb Sky, but I also don't like the way this crowd are shaping up, might have a look at lightnet, on the fiber rollout.ie page im in a black spot between all the cabinets, so I'm screwed short,/medium term.

I was thinking this was too good to be true, turns out my mother was right...

+1. His rants are based on non scientific anecdotal evidence of a former Imagine product.

I'd totally disagree.

My rants are based on how poorly I was treated by Imagine. How poor the service was and being over charged the first month and then charged for 3 months when I had terminated the contract.

My rant is also based on the fact that regardless of limits being reached they throttled p2p connections and openly admitted to this.

My rant is based on the fact that they installed an antenna fed cable to the modem which they refused to located anywhere else but the nearest point of entry from where the antenna was so ended up being located on the top of the kitchen cabinet. I couldn't run catV to any room.

My rant is based on the fact that I promised if anyone ever came on here looking for info etc on Imagine that I would give them my experience in an honest fashion which I am fully entitled to do and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

You're certainly ranting :)

You're certainly ranting :)

I know and I appreciate that. I don't want to annoy the ordinary Joe who just wants a decent Broadband connection. I was that solider for long enough.

I just have seen at first hand how from a Customer services point of view mainly how dangerous they can be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'd totally disagree.

My rants are based on how poorly I was treated by Imagine. How poor the service was and being over charged the first month and then charged for 3 months when I had terminated the contract.

My rant is also based on the fact that regardless of limits being reached they throttled p2p connections and openly admitted to this.

My rant is based on the fact that they installed an antenna fed cable to the modem which they refused to located anywhere else but the nearest point of entry from where the antenna was so ended up being located on the top of the kitchen cabinet. I couldn't run catV to any room.

My rant is based on the fact that I promised if anyone ever came on here looking for info etc on Imagine that I would give them my experience in an honest fashion which I am fully entitled to do and will continue to do so.

Of course you're entitled to do so just as we are allowed to point out the flaws in your argument. I myself was sceptical of Imagine's claims about their LTE product but having had it over a month I have been greatly impressed with it.

Just remember that by warning people off you could be denying them a greatly improved internet experience.

Advertisement