Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

The phone app was originally going live in June then august then September so I wouldn't hold your breath. Similar to the web portal to show usage which never happened and which is the most basic facility that should be a requirement for any ISP that limits it's users data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

markmurphy wrote: »
    I have solid green, and flashing blue on modem.

cant get internet. are these the correct status lights?

Thanks.

M.

with imagine LTE

All the lights on my Gemtek router have always been green. Flashing blue does not sound right. I presume you have tried plugging it out then back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

This DNS issue, (whats does DNS stand for?)... Is one of the symptoms of it that various popular sites like twitter, hotmail, BBc News etc takes several attempts to load? I have had that problem for the past 48 hours.

-mod edit

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    This DNS issue, (whats does DNS stand for?)... Is one of the symptoms of it that various popular sites like twitter, hotmail, BBc News etc takes several attempts to load? I have had that problem for the past 48 hours.

Jease. This thread gets better and better!!

TT

DNS is Domain Name System. Basically when you type twitter.com your machine queries the DNS server and it returns the IP address of twitter. Your browser can then connect to the site.

The symptoms you describe are happening because Imagine's DNS server is taking several attempts to return the address leading to pages timing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Thanks Navi.

Got nothing better to do this evening so will fire them off an email... for all the good it will do.

TT

• Advertisement

Thanks Navi.

Got nothing better to do this evening so will fire them off an email... for all the good it will do.

TT

Change your DNS until they fix theirs.

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

ArKl0w wrote: »
    I'm not having a problem today but I was a few days ago,I just changed to googles 8888 dns in my secondary router but changed it back again later
    15 mins minimum hold time to imagine at the moment,so unless it's a big problem I do not ring them

Someone asked earlier about the phone app,it's not going to be available until the new year at the earliest,they told me

If it's similar to the one virgin use,I'd be very happy

Welcome back to the thread!

Were you happy with the responses to your thread over on the 3 forum ?

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057668999

Did you get what you wanted?
    Did you manage to get everyone cut off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Does anyone know what the options are at these high sites in the event of a power cut,say from a storm for example?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Does anyone know what the options are at these high sites in the event of a power cut,say from a storm for example?

Most telco kit runs at -48V DC, so it can run on battery for a while, and larger high sites will have on-site generators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. I'm about to lose my wimax service as it's being decommissioned. I see they are advertising lte in my area. Does anyone here know what the price of it is if you want broadband only. .. .no calls included. 59.99 is a bit steep imo....

• Advertisement

Hi all. I'm about to lose my wimax service as it's being decommissioned. I see they are advertising lte in my area. Does anyone here know what the price of it is if you want broadband only. .. .no calls included. 59.99 is a bit steep imo....

No discount for not taking a phone line.

Won't be signing up to that then. .......ridiculous price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Won't be signing up to that then. .......ridiculous price

Many are paying it so obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

ED E wrote: »
    Many are paying it so obviously not.

If I knew it was certain to be reliable I'd have no problem paying it TBH
    Sure ya could make the savings by cancelling Sky !

km79 wrote: »

That's actually what I'm now thinking of doing! Is the only way to justify 59.99 a month just for broadband

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if there was no other option but Imagine LTE I would pay the 60, it's either that or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

km79 wrote: »

I can only speak from personal experience and say that it has been very good. The installation was prompt and the speeds have been > 50Mbps pretty much all the time. A thread like this will colour your opinion as you only hear the extreme cases and to be honest most of the complaints have revolved around late installations rather than the service itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

In my experience Imagine are not a reliable company to deal with.

Like many others on here if you have any problems getting your money back and also over charging are a massive problem.

If you can avoid it at all then do.

If you look at switcher,you'll see all or most of the options
    Vodafone at €40 a month seems the cheapest of the dsl/fibre options
    Next is pure
    Eir and loads more are up around the 60 mark after initial offer periods
    But on the plus side they're all unlimited

My Vodafone dsl was crap so it was a choice between imagine and whizzy for me
    So far lowest speeds have been in the 50's depending on which server you use but mostly high 60's to high 90's
    Regardless of which level in that scale the tests are at,the experience for me has been instant loading of 1080 movies on Netflix
    Downloading and uploading large files 1 gig and higher in minutes
    Having a 1 hr episode of a series in 720 definition at 8 pm in the evening in the time it takes to make a cup of tea
    That sort of stuff

Yes I got rid of sky,saving nearly a grand a year,so still a net gain there
    At the end of the day,it and the likes of lightnet (are there others?) are a no brainer in non fibre Rural areas

That said,I never thought the 20 gig limit would be a problem but it is to be fair,it's not likely to be breached here but I'd prefer not to have to be minding it

An hours 1080 for example on Netflix is over 3 gigs so bingeing a complete box set in one go is out unless you're doing it 7pm to 7am ( :eek: )

So yeah this is an acceptable borderline wonderful stopgap for me until Siro comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Like many others on here if you have any problems getting your money back and also over charging are a massive problem.

If you can avoid it at all then do.

Can you please elaborate on "many others on here if you have any problems getting your money back and also over charging are a massive problem" ?

I went through the trouble of going back a few hundred posts, to see how "many" others you are talking about and couldn't find any. I did find 3 posts of people that have at least got confirmation of them refunding the money and I am sure if they are not getting their money, they will be the first to post that here. I also found no posts about over-charging. With a set fee of €60/month, I am also not quite sure how that would work.

Let me make clear that I am not saying the sun shines out of their behind, and I think we have established that their customer service is poor or non-existent if you have any technical issues. I also won't dispute that this company at some point have treated you very badly, but I am just asking for a bit of balance and factual debate.

As was said before, most issues posted here are about long, long wait times for installation and some of us have had really bad issues with speeds. Some, I say, some others , like me, are fairly happy with what we are getting.

By making statements (and wrongly summarising the discussion on here) about over charging and the likes, you are scaring away people, like me , that have no other options for higher speed broadband. The service is by no means perfect, but it is in some areas the only option going.

And, no, I have no affiliation whatsoever, other than being a reasonably happy customer.

TimHorton wrote: »
    Decided to cancel my Imagine LTE order and use the €100 returned to buy an external 4G Antenna for my "Free" Three 4G Broadband, Very happy with the result as the €20 I topup with each month is used in the Play Store for Games/Music and my Broadband is free.
    emm80 wrote: »
    Rang imagine there, told them my story,signed up 2 months ago and was told end of October, then November, now early 2017 that the mast isn't even constructed.... contrary to the "live in your area" signs being up 2 months ago.
    She asked me once if I willing to wait, I said no and she said I'd get refunded. Easy enough as long as I get it....
    K3v wrote: »
    I rung them up yesterday and asked to be put through cancellations. Told the lady in Cancellations that I have been waiting since July for connection & I had given up on them. Said I had signed a new contract with my existing ISP, so they could refund back my €100.

She asked could I not cancel my new contract that surely there is a cooling off period with my existing ISP and she would arrange connection to Imagine this week! Explained it was too late for them. Was told to expect the refund in 10 working days. Got her details & made sure to let her know I will be following up in 10 working days with Imagine & requesting a chargeback if I don't receive my deposit back.

Just play tough with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Got a call from Imagine yesterday. I have put my deposit down to hold my place (or whatever) and have told them no install till March earliest, which they agreed to.
    They tell me they think I might not be able to get connection because of where I am. I am about 2km from the mast...
    They are sending someone out this morning to test but not install.

To me, this smells like "get the person with the deposit and long wait time for install off the list so we can get a monthly paying customer in". I fully expect them to come back to me and tell me that I cannot get signal no matter what.
    In fairness, it actually kind of suits me because I realised after confirming March that I am in contract with Vodafone for 18 months, not 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I can only speak from personal experience and say that it has been very good. The installation was prompt and the speeds have been > 50Mbps pretty much all the time. A thread like this will colour your opinion as you only hear the extreme cases and to be honest most of the complaints have revolved around late installations rather than the service itself.

I havn't posted to this forum for some time but my service has been extremely poor since about 1 week after my installation 2 months ago. I have called, emailed, threatened but to no avail. I can't watch Netflix at its lowest setting. The highest speed I can get is 7mbps at 6am. My average is between 2 or 3mbps but latency and ping speeds are poor. In summary, my experience with Imagine LTE has been abysmal.

If you look at switcher,you'll see all or most of the options
    Vodafone at €40 a month seems the cheapest of the dsl/fibre options
    Next is pure
    Eir and loads more are up around the 60 mark after initial offer periods
    But on the plus side they're all unlimited

My Vodafone dsl was crap so it was a choice between imagine and whizzy for me
    So far lowest speeds have been in the 50's depending on which server you use but mostly high 60's to high 90's
    Regardless of which level in that scale the tests are at,the experience for me has been instant loading of 1080 movies on Netflix
    Downloading and uploading large files 1 gig and higher in minutes
    Having a 1 hr episode of a series in 720 definition at 8 pm in the evening in the time it takes to make a cup of tea
    That sort of stuff

Yes I got rid of sky,saving nearly a grand a year,so still a net gain there
    At the end of the day,it and the likes of lightnet (are there others?) are a no brainer in non fibre Rural areas

That said,I never thought the 20 gig limit would be a problem but it is to be fair,it's not likely to be breached here but I'd prefer not to have to be minding it

An hours 1080 for example on Netflix is over 3 gigs so bingeing a complete box set in one go is out unless you're doing it 7pm to 7am ( :eek: )

So yeah this is an acceptable borderline wonderful stopgap for me until Siro comes

But ArKl0w, don't forget about that fantastic deal from 3 that you posted

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057668999

Very helpful of you

• LOL he's unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

-mod edit

TT

I'm also getting this DNS issue. No issue up until Sunday night I think it was, I noticed the Imagine DNS went completely for a few minutes. I was still "online", I could ping internet IPs but my browsers could not connect to a DNS.

Since Sunday I am still getting issues, sometimes fails to load a website, but just in general it is noticeably slower to resolve website addresses. I have also changed to google 8.8.8.8 today, but this is always a bit slow and not as good as the Imagine one (before Sunday that is).

It sounds like you guys have made imagine aware of the issues, I'll swap back to their DNS after a while and see..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    I'm also getting this DNS issue. No issue up until Sunday night I think it was, I noticed the Imagine DNS went completely for a few minutes. I was still "online", I could ping internet IPs but my browsers could not connect to a DNS.

Since Sunday I am still getting issues, sometimes fails to load a website, but just in general it is noticeably slower to resolve website addresses. I have also changed to google 8.8.8.8 today, but this is always a bit slow and not as good as the Imagine one (before Sunday that is).

It sounds like you guys have made imagine aware of the issues, I'll swap back to their DNS after a while and see..

Use Steve Gibsons "DNS Benchmark" to keep tabs on it/compare. A few screenshots can be enlightening to support personnel.

Having that issue a lot today on imagines own router in the workshop but using a smart dns service now on the router up at the house which solves it there
    Open dns or unotelly or one of those does the job a lot faster than google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Argggghh. I knew I shouldn't have boasted about my speeds earlier on. Also have DNS issues at the moment. Irritating.

edit to say: I'm on the phone now waiting. If you have a problem contact them, don't depend on others to do it for you. It's much harder to ignore a large volume of callers.

Imagine's dns is flying it for me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

As you keep saying over and over and over and over again

Advertisement