Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Still getting DNS timeouts. ns1 (.10) is worse.

401879.PNG

401880.PNG

401881.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

As you keep saying over and over and over and over again

And will continue to do so based on an unpleasent experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're running a firmware build from 2007, wouldnt be surprised if the hardware on NS2 is ancient!

3LoHhhpl.png6b5FbjXl.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    They're running a firmware build from 2007, wouldnt be surprised if the hardware on NS2 is ancient!

Good spot. Surely it is bad practice to have a public facing machine running such old software? Also DD-WRT? Is it unusual for an ISP to be running a DNS server on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the kind of feature the big boys would run on enterprise hardware, there's a reason why Cisco make millions.

To be fair to Imagine here, while 53 is open to the public their ACLs prevent external access (I tried, its likely that they could be used in amplification attacks if they were). So they arent really that exposed. That said, on really old software like that the chances of there being a critical vulnerability is pretty high. Knowing the right payload to drop in a DNS packet could be all it'd take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I did a similar test earlier today and got a Fritz!Box and not DDWRT in my results.

From Nmap Output of another try now
    OS details: HID EdgePlus Solo ES400 firewall, Infomir MAG-250 set-top box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Got this text yesterday. Been waiting on the site I Athy to service Carlow to go live since September!

Screenshot_2016-11-19-17-42-40.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Got this text yesterday. Been waiting on the site I Athy to service Carlow to go live since September!

Screenshot_2016-11-19-17-42-40.png

Your optimism in my opinion is misplaced. This is a rubbish service by a rubbish company. I am unable to do anything other than basic browsing. My download is 1mbps, I have no upload and my pings are through the roof. Worst of all, this crowd wont respond to my calls to their support desk. Like most others in the sticks, I have no other options. I had about 10 days of reasonable service and since then my highest speeds at 6am are less than 5mbps. so f,,,,n angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I was throttled this evening with no warning :/

Anyone else that's been throttled, when do speeds reset?

MG]IM]IM]

Past week I've been having DNS timeouts aswell on quite a lot of sites. Very frustrating. Gonna call them up in the morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Check your spam/junk
    That's where gmail have been sending their emails to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Wing126 wrote: »
    I was throttled this evening with no warning :/

Anyone else that's been throttled, when do speeds reset?

Past week I've been having DNS timeouts aswell on quite a lot of sites. Very frustrating. Gonna call them up in the morning...

I received a throttle warning last week. I was downloading approx 1 gb of a 15 gb file with very little other activity. Anyone know how activity is being monitored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Got the text Friday that dunmurry site in Kildare is now live and then got the call yesterday for install on Tuesday, I knows it's mixed bag of cats but I currently on 0.9mb download and 0.2 upload at least it can't be that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Got the text Friday that dunmurry site in Kildare is now live and then got the call yesterday for install on Tuesday, I knows it's mixed bag of cats but I currently on 0.9mb download and 0.2 upload at least it can't be that bad

Hadn't heard about that site.
    Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I was in the same boat as you. If I had a wired option I would go with it but pretty happy with it so far. Previously I was getting 0.5Mbps from a local WISP.

5813356256.png

Have you line of sight and about how far are you from the mast do you know ?
    Is it definitely this Dunmurry site you're connected to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

One of my customers was having DNS issues with imagine last week. Try explaining to users why Google isn't working on their PC but is on their phone.... They just blame the IT guy.

Luckily I had Vodafone installed 2 days before, swapped over and magically Google works again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

Yeah I'm in your area and I have signed up, mast going live this week then installation in next 10 days I'm told, I'm 5km from dunmurry hill site with clear line of sight.

Yup me to. Got a text it's live now. Same as . I'm about 6 . 7 mile with clear sight to. Text said the be in contact to fit asap

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

long_b wrote: »
    Hadn't heard about that site.
    Interesting!

Same site as u. Got that text. Where is my call. Lucky u.

Have you line of sight and about how far are you from the mast do you know ?
    Is it definitely this Dunmurry site you're connected to ?
    I'm 5km away from it with a good line of site (no trees)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

In my case it is. I am also in Kildare.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm if the Dunmurry site is on the hill and if so which side of the hill? South East facing or NW facing?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Can anyone confirm if the Dunmurry site is on the hill and if so which side of the hill? South East facing or NW facing?

Thanks in advance

I can't confirm anything, but the mast on Dunmurry is massive. It's right at the top of the hill and covers all directions.

Dero wrote: »
    I can't confirm anything, but the mast on Dunmurry is massive. It's right at the top of the hill and covers all directions.

Thanks Dero. Was on chat there and the reckon I'm not covered by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

The Minch Norton mast in athy went I've last Friday aswell. Waiting for d call for installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Check your spam/junk
    That's where gmail have been sending their emails to me

Nothing in my spam at all. My bill went to spam alright but no notification about overage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thanks in advance

Have they actually confirmed anywhere that they are using the big mast on Dunmurry? There is nothing on their coverage map as yet.

There are much smaller masts on Grange hill, which is north of Dunmurry, Ripplecom and a few other WISPs were using those, though there's no road access up to them so Imagine hardly are up there.

nilhg wrote: »

Thanks in advance

Have they actually confirmed anywhere that they are using the big mast on Dunmurry? There is nothing on their coverage map as yet.

There are much smaller masts on Grange hill, which is north of Dunmurry, Ripplecom and a few other WISPs were using those, though there's no road access up to them so Imagine hardly are up there.
    It's up on that hoot board section of the site http://www.imagine.ie/hootboard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    I did a similar test earlier today and got a Fritz!Box and not DDWRT in my results.

From Nmap Output of another try now

Imagine (or IBB, as this seems to be part of the old IBB infrastructure) have more than one DNS server for each hostname.

I've seen it resolv to 62.231.32.10, 89.127.199.138 and 2001:4d68:1::a for ns1
    62.231.32.10, 89.127.199.142 and 2001:4d68:1::b for ns2

There's probably even more ip's for their DNS servers.

It wouldn't be uncommon to place embedded boards on a high-site somewhere down the line throughout the network, running dns for a subset of customers, offloading the main server and giving faster responses.

The downside of setting it up like that, is that troubleshooting will be an absolute nightmare, if things go wrong.

Probably the reason, why it doesn't affect everybody and why they've not been able to do a quick fix.

Usually, the secondary (ns2) server anyhow only sees about 10-20% of the queries, that the primary gets. So it shouldn't matter. It's probably more the case, of a box. that's failing.

/M

Got installed today, 95mb at the moment hopefully it stays this way! Anything above 2mb I'd be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Down for installation on Thursday. How long do they take..

Advertisement