Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Where are you getting the half a meg figure from? It's definitely over 5 from my experience. Another poster stated not long ago that it is 6 down.

Info above from Arklow not to be trusted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I got throttled once and it was between 0.5 to 1 Mbps - Netflix and online gaming worked fine, maybe not totally concurrently but definitely usable. And it went back to normal at midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057558377&sort=best&date_to=&date_from=&query=Throttle&page=2

And there's a search of the thread showing the throttle down to 1 meg for some
    That would impact Netflix and sky on demand,so not so much happy days there
    It seems to vary which is wierd because you'd assume it is done via a set mechanism not manually with different throttle's per customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

ArKl0w wrote: »
    They throttle you then down to half a meg in speed until midnight on the day you go over

I agree, it is under 1mb when you are genuinely being throttled. I've only had this twice and on both occasions tech support told me that was the case until midnight. You will know if you are genuinely throttled if you power cycle the router and see a spike on reboot only to lock down again. Do this repeatedly and it's the same.

They also said that it's 20 gb in any 24 period which is more or less the same as it resets at midnight.

On the few rare occasions where speed was 5-6 mb, I actually got different speeds on consoles versus speedtest. Net and when I spoke to tech support about it they were 'testing software'.

Personally I think they were load balancing and dealing with contention.

Don't rely solely on speedtest.net to tell you what the actual speed you are getting is. I've seen 6+ mbps on a tablet using speedtest but getting 18-24+ download on a console.

All in, my speeds are rarely below 30 now and average around 45 in the evening. Very happy with this compared to the other offerings I have had choice of where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Regarding the 20 gig cap they also throttle P2P traffic so you can't even pull down a HD rip of a show @ 350 mb or so.

Be careful. The grass isn't always greener with Imagine. Again based on difficulties I and others have had.

Sorry but I'm going to have to call bullsh*t on your posts. No they don't throttle p2p. I don't know where you are getting your information from but you seem very misinformed. Bittorrent works fine on Imagine, it will contribute to your 20Gb limit per day but once you stay below that there is no issue.

There seems to be 2 seperate agendas on this thread with Arkl0w on one side and you on the other. For anyone reading this, the truth lies somewhere in the middle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Does anyone know why some of us got texts stating we were not allowed reset our routers or we may incur a call out charge?

This is my first time coming across this issue with any broadband company.

• sok2005 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why some of us got texts stating we were not allowed reset our routers or we may incur a call out charge?

No clarification from imagine on what the **** they mean. It sounds like the reset function as opposed to the a restart of the router. Reset would clear the settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

sok2005 wrote: »

Just a guess but I would think that we got them because so many of us are sick of not being able to configure our router and network, the way we want to and are used to and people are probably resetting and then unable to get the phone configuration back.

Although, God knows at this stage. I don't call them, if the service is working, I leave well enough alone. Life is too short to be spent waiting on hold!

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm going to have to call bullsh*t on your posts. No they don't throttle p2p. I don't know where you are getting your information from but you seem very misinformed. Bittorrent works fine on Imagine, it will contribute to your 20Gb limit per day but once you stay below that there is no issue.

There seems to be 2 seperate agendas on this thread with Arkl0w on one side and you on the other. For anyone reading this, the truth lies somewhere in the middle..

i had imagine as my provider from 2010 to 2011.

I have email confirmation from them that they do block and throttle bit torrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I have email confirmation from them that they do block and throttle bit torrent.

So you haven't been with them in five years?

• Advertisement

So you haven't been with them in five years?

Spot on. I understand some people have no other options and I appreciate that.

But I do feel after the way I was treated and others by the way, that I have to warn people of the pitfalls of such a provider. Based on my experiences of course.

If you go back through the WIMAX thread on boards you will see a litany of people who were overcharged, not given the service they were sold and waiting months to try and getting money back. You will also see stories of shoddy workmanship when fitting their equipment.

Well I am a current customer and I can tell you that they do not throttle bittorrent. Do you not see that you are commenting on every post yet the information you have is completely irrelevant to the current LTE product?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Well I am a current customer and I can tell you that they do not throttle bittorrent. Do you not see that you are commenting on every post yet the information you have is completely irrelevant to the current LTE product?

It is 100 per cent relevant to Imagine though.

So when you hit your 20gb cap do they still allow you to torrent?

It is 100 per cent relevant to Imagine though.

So when you hit your 20gb cap do they still allow you to torrent?

They throttle all traffic after you hit the 20Gb limit, nobody denies that. They do not throttle bittorrent traffic until you hit that limit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Any experience from people currently using LTE would be great. Would like to see past the few that are still harbouring a gripe against Imagine from 6 years ago ...

I have never come on here pretending to know anything about LTE.

I am talking about dealing with Imagine.

• xxyyzz wrote: »
    They throttle all traffic after you hit the 20Gb limit, nobody denies that. They do not throttle bittorrent traffic until you hit that limit though.

I can vouch for that
    Was getting good speeds on torrent

Spot on. I understand some people have no other options and I appreciate that.

But I do feel after the way I was treated and others by the way, that I have to warn people of the pitfalls of such a provider. Based on my experiences of course.

If you go back through the WIMAX thread on boards you will see a litany of people who were overcharged, not given the service they were sold and waiting months to try and getting money back. You will also see stories of shoddy workmanship when fitting their equipment.

Wait that email is five years old!?!! Your experience is five years gone. That's a fair bit of time for a company in this field. Perhaps you should leave this thread to people who've more up to date experience and information than you.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can vouch for that
    Was getting good speeds on torrent

As was I.

They are a poor company to deal with in my experience. I will keep posting here if I feel it relevant.

I am speaking from being treated poorly regarding billing, shoddy workmanship and a poor service.

You are entitled to recommend them based on your experience. I am entitled to advise poeple not to enter a contract with them based on my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Wait that email is five years old!?!! Your experience is five years gone. That's a fair bit of time for a company in this field. Perhaps you should leave this thread to people who've more up to date experience and information than you.
    I don't that fair you just have to read that article they wrote in the independent about the NBP gona fail rural Ireland which is a load of rubbish.I was with imagine before and they over charge me when I left them few years ago.while I understand there LTE product helping people with little to no broadband choices there attitude is unacceptable as a company they should just focus on there LTE product and shut up about NBP with there silly article.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't that fair you just have to read that article they wrote in the independent about the NBP gona fail rural Ireland which is a load of rubbish.while I understand there LTE product helping people with little to no broadband choices there attitude is unacceptable as a company they should just focus on there LTE product and shut up about NBP with there silly article.

Im all for them helping people who have no choice but they are getting beyond ruthless now trying to gain customers. They have posted that article at least twice on their facebook page wrapped up with different headings and now they are posting articles about Virgin Media and their price increases hoping for people to switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I torrent every single day and they do not throttle it in any way shape or form. Its treated the same as any other data use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys. I have a quick question. I am currently with Vodafone (15Meg) and can get Imagine LTE. I use two powerline adapters from the main router in the house to get wifi to all the house. Do you know if these will work with Imagines setup ? The bump in speed would be good but I need wifi in all parts of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

brianon wrote: »
    Guys. I have a quick question. I am currently with Vodafone (15Meg) and can get Imagine LTE. I use two powerline adapters from the main router in the house to get wifi to all the house. Do you know if these will work with Imagines setup ? The bump in speed would be good but I need wifi in all parts of the house.

Id stick with vodafone if youre actually getting 15Mb all the time. To answer your question, yes, powerline adapters work no problem.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im all for them helping people who have no choice but they are getting beyond ruthless now trying to gain customers. They have posted that article at least twice on their facebook page wrapped up with different headings and now they are posting articles about Virgin Media and their price increases hoping for people to switch.

yeh because if you have 240mb virgin @ 40 euro you are going to go with imagine.

Ludicrous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Id stick with vodafone if youre actually getting 15Mb all the time. To answer your question, yes, powerline adapters work no problem.

i second that, Stick with Vodaphone fixed line. Moving to Imagine could improve your speed but you'll end up paying more AND with a 20gig per day allowance over a 24 hour period you would be watching the clock all the time if you watch movies/tv shows. If you download games regularly forget about it.

Vodafone 15mg is decent enough. I understand people who are at dial up speeds going with Imagine.

Keep your Vodafone 15mg instead of going with this bunch.

Vodafone 15mg is decent enough. I understand people who are at dial up speeds going with Imagine.

Keep your Vodafone 15mg instead of going with this bunch.

I get between 9 and 10 megs with ADSL2+. It's far from great but with a largely unlimited data allowance I don't have to worry. My speeds are the same every day. 15 megs is 50% faster than what I have now, that's perfectly fine for streaming HD, downloading games, using netflix and the like.

If your dsl was below 6 megs I would recommend switching to Imagine but 8 and over you can get by with most stuff and no monitoring data every time you play a video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo wrote: »

If your dsl was below 6 megs I would recommend switching .

An awful lot of rural Ireland is at that speed or a lot lower
    Looking at my own area,the blue line covers less than half of it

Siro is the way to go though ultimately and the best hope as it will be pushed into rural areas probably in the coming years
    You can't beat competition as Siro is what's driving Eir to cable the roads
    Siro hopefully will hit us all in a few years
    Imagine are probably hoping on no churn ,they're mistaken
    Otherwise we'd all have stayed on dial up

Advertisement