Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

ArKl0w wrote: »
    An awful lot of rural Ireland is at that speed or a lot lower
    Looking at my own area,the blue line covers less than half of it

Siro is the way to go though ultimately and the best hope as it will be pushed into rural areas probably in the coming years
    You can't beat competition as Siro is what's driving Eir to cable the roads
    Siro hopefully will hit us all in a few years
    Imagine are probably hoping on no churn ,they're mistaken
    Otherwise we'd all have stayed on dial up

Thanks for the advice on broadband options ArKl0w.

What would you say to the people who are currently relying on 3 as their only option?

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057668999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

An awful lot of rural Ireland is at that speed or a lot lower
    Looking at my own area,the blue line covers less than half of it

Siro is the way to go though ultimately and the best hope as it will be pushed into rural areas probably in the coming years
    You can't beat competition as Siro is what's driving Eir to cable the roads
    Siro hopefully will hit us all in a few years
    Imagine are probably hoping on no churn ,they're mistaken
    Otherwise we'd all have stayed on dial up

I don't know where you are getting the idea that Siro intend to expand into rural areas. I have seen no such statement from them. The are bidders for the NBP but if they fail to win a lot in that I believe they would never enter rural Ireland. Say what you want about Openeir but at least they have done and are doing something for rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks guys for the helpful responses. I think I will stick to what I have and hold out for efibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

I don't know where you are getting the idea that Siro intend to expand into rural areas. I have seen no such statement from them. The are bidders for the NBP but if they fail to win a lot in that I believe they would never enter rural Ireland. Say what you want about Openeir but at least they have done and are doing something for rural areas.

I'm speculating like the rest of you which is why I said probably and hopefully
    You go back 4 or 5 years and you're in a completely different landscape to now
    Same will probably be true of 4 or 5 years from now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'm speculating like the rest of you which is why I said probably and hopefully
    You go back 4 or 5 years and you're in a completely different landscape to now
    Same will probably be true of 4 or 5 years from now

They will not expand into rural areas. Don't get your hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Siro will only do rural if they win part of the NBP.

Their website and press releases are very misleading as they paint a green picture, rural landscapes, rocks and fields. In reality they are focusing on dense populations, housing estates and industrial locations. I think this is starting to effect them as in some areas their re-sellers are finding it difficult to get sales as the customers in the regions already have cheap and fast fiber connections.

Open Eir really are the only company in the country doing anything about proper rural fiber. Imagine's plans to be part of the NBP have already been turned down, because their wireless technology or any other wireless technology is not fit for a long term purpose. It would have to be replaced over and over with different wireless specifications and standards through the years, then there is the downfalls of wireless such as limited bandwidth allowances, contention and line of sight issues.

The shameless article (advertisment) in the Independent newspaper was written by one of Imagine's top guys. Strong opinions stuffed full of horse manure claiming that Fiber To The Home (FTTH) is a bad idea for rural Ireland, costs too much and that the only suitable fiber solution for rural Ireland is Wireless 4G LTE and similar services.

It's clear that FTTH is the way of the future, Imagine are bitter over this and the fact that they lost the NBP. I am really looking forward to seeing Imagine customers finally getting moved over to FTTH by either Eir or Siro. Everyone in this country deserves to be on a decent, stable and fixed fiber connection. It's something that Ireland can be very proud of, hopefully beating many of our European neighbours.

Wireless should really only be used for mobile reception on the go, not as a dedicated 24/7 home and business internet service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo,I do agree that article is a typical paper never refused ink promo piece and the independent certainly never does
    It's not worth the paper it's wrote on as it's a lobbying exercise
    The indo does that a lot

I live in the east of Ireland,close to a motorway,close enough to a town that I can hear its church bells,yet no blue line on my road because in one direction it stops at the town boundary and from the rural exchange 6 miles the other way,it's blue line only does 3 miles
    So there's 3 miles right up to a town boundary with nothing ,maybe 500 houses in total
    Terrible planning and replicated countrywide
    Fine for those included but tough titty for those not
    Outside of that you have useless creaking from over use mobile broadband
    That's where I'm delighted to have the imagine stop gap and lucky it as fast here as it is
    No evidence yet of over contention
    Sure there are problems with some people
    Go to any providers Facebook/forum and you'll get an average level of problems

If there's a huge drop,I'm off to whizzy ,nearly 4 weeks in,most of the day I'm over 70
    I'd pay this for 30 and if anyone on 8 to 10 thinks most things work well,you can imagine how well they work at 30,never mind 50
    True the elephant in the room is the 20 gig daily limit before throttling

I'm also convinced that in the current political landscape proper cabled fibre broadband will come to the areas missed out in the next few years going on the last few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »
    Siro will only do rural if they win part of the NBP.

Much the same as eir.

The eir 'blue lines' are purely a 'loss-leader' on their part to ensure they get good consideration for the NBP. Not at all surprising, and I have to admit I admire their plan and they are executing it well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Build a bridge lad

I know how hard it is to let it go. I was stiffed by Eircom/Eir for 2 years with awful supply and service issues. They caused me awful grief for 18 months and even when I cancelled and went with this mob Imagine, Eir sent in debt collectors to try to recover a fee for a failed direct debit collection. Even now my blood boils when I think of Eir and the hassle they caused me and I went to the review sites and facebook to vent my displeasure.

I swore if I could persuade one potential customer to not sign up with them or get one to leave them I would feel a lot better about it.

So far I have managed to to get 2 people to leave and 2 to change their minds about joining Eir. I take enormous satisfaction that I have directly cost them a couple of grand a year and I have emailed them to tell them so.

So I know where Smelly sock is coming from and like him I would take any opportunity to do them down but it isn't a big part of my day now. I've moved on.

TT

• I can confirm again that speed got throttled to 5-6 mb as I maxed out my dl today again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can confirm again that speed got throttled to 5-6 mb as I maxed out my dl today again

Jaysus, sure your throttled speeds are faster than my curent WISPs 'good' speeds xD

Imagine coming in the morning to install. Hopefully all goes well.
    Will report back tomorrow with new of my sad/happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Jez man, get a life or move in with smelly sock :-)

I think it's you that needs to let it go. These posters have an issue with imagine and their poor service and have every right to vent on this forum and to share their experience in the same way others who have a good experience (so far) are also entitled to share their experience. Belittling people might make you feel good about yourself but do us a favor and keep it away from here

• NakQuada wrote: »
    Jaysus, sure your throttled speeds are faster than my curent WISPs 'good' speeds xD

Imagine coming in the morning to install. Hopefully all goes well.
    Will report back tomorrow with new of my sad/happiness.

I was just providing info against the myth that they throttle to 1/2 a meg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I was just providing info against the myth that they throttle to 1/2 a meg

Sure that early in this thread people were reporting that they were being throttled to 1 meg down... can't be assed to go back and find them though...

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why do some imagine customers seem to be so sensitive and protective of the their service provider?

It's not a minority who are on here saying they have had serious issues with billing etc. Quite a few of us have vented at this stage.

Again if I can direct a few people away from Imagine I will be more than happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's only worth directing those who already have half decent connections to stay where they are (7megs+ DSL, VDSL etc).

For those who have no other option other than Imagine LTE, dongles or Satellite then Imagine LTE really is the only choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TopTec wrote: »
    Sure that early in this thread people were reporting that they were being throttled to 1 meg down... can't be assed to go back and find them though...

TT

The throttling could be based on the state of the network on that mast - i.e a lot of people hitting caps means they throttle harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

If I've issues I'll post it - as I did. And If people have problems they need to be vocal about it and be aggressive in getting solutions. But your experience is half a decade old. You're not relevant to the discussion anymore and you're just generating noise. You're just pursing your own agenda and you're doing no one any favours. Time to move on.

The reality, and Im no fan of Imagine by any stretch of the imagination, is that 5 years ago LTE didnt exist. So he is not even talking about the same product.

Product limitations aside, I've personally found the Customer Care at Imagine to be deplorable and their working practices to be dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

5826379937.png

Not so bad!
    Very professional crew, took about two hours. Will keep an eye on it over the weekend to see how it goes in peak periods.
    But am overall very content!

Technology might change but and ethos on customer service and duty of care to customers generally doesn't change as quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

customer service and duty of care to customers generally doesn't change as quick.

Yes that's true, and Imagine's customer care leaves a lot to be desired (although they're hardly alone there). However, you made a specific technical point about P2P that is not true of the LTE service.

Your issues with Imagine as a company may be legitimate (albeit somewhat tiresome at this stage), but don't conflate the technical limits of the service you had (WiMAX?) with the current LTE product unless you are sure. It just muddies the water and is not helpful for the many people who come into this thread curious about the LTE service.

Dero wrote: »
    Yes that's true, and Imagine's customer care leaves a lot to be desired (although they're hardly alone there). However, you made a specific technical point about P2P that is not true of the LTE service.

Your issues with Imagine as a company may be legitimate (albeit somewhat tiresome at this stage), but don't conflate the technical limits of the service you had (WiMAX?) with the current LTE product unless you are sure. It just muddies the water and is not helpful for the many people who come into this thread curious about the LTE service.

Technically it is true. If they throttle after your 20gig cap is breached they are throttling p2p.

But I see your point re the p2p and wimax being an older technology.

My main gripe is about the pure disdain customer have been treated with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Technology might change but and ethos on customer service and duty of care to customers generally doesn't change as quick.

Called
    Messaged
    Emailed
    Trying to cancel
    Couldn't get through
    No reply
    No reply

AWFUL CS

km79 wrote: »
    Called
    Messaged
    Emailed
    Trying to cancel
    Couldn't get through
    No reply
    No reply

AWFUL CS

my advice is to kill the DD or cancel your debit card as much of a pain as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

my advice is to kill the DD or cancel your debit card as much of a pain as it is.

Having had install yet and won't for at least another month
    I'm just trying to get the 100 euro back and get off the waiting list
    I'll be ringing the bank now to do a chargeback
    Was hoping just to cancel with them as it would be easier

km79 wrote: »
    Having had install yet and won't for at least another month
    I'm just trying to get the 100 euro back and get off the waiting list
    I'll be ringing the bank now to do a chargeback
    Was hoping just to cancel with them as it would be easier

Folks this is just another case of someone being p*****d around by Imagine when looking for a refund that they are entitled to.

The fact that they actually charge 100 before any work is done is suspect. Surely they as a company would be better off to charge this on the first bill.

But hey, they won't be able to hang onto peoples money if they can't provide a service.

Jokers.

Folks,

I will try to keep my posting on this thread to a minimum and will not reply to any more technical posts.

I have created a new thread called Imagine ISP issues to focus or their disregard for customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Had my install Tuesday, lowest speed I have had is 85mb, installed a 6gb Xbox update last night in like 5 min while streaming Netflix, before that update was a 15 hour job while Netflix was nearly unwatchable due to my low download speed of 0.9
    Before downloading games wasn't even an option now I'll just spead out a big game over 2 days around 11pm ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Folks this is just another case of someone being p*****d around by Imagine when looking for a refund that they are entitled to.

The fact that they actually charge 100 before any work is done is suspect. Surely they as a company would be better off to charge this on the first bill.

But hey, they won't be able to hang onto peoples money if they can't provide a service.

Jokers.
    FYI

I had an issue with Imagine regarding cancellation inside the 14 day cooling off period after the install. I believed it commenced when I had the goods delivered to site, Imagine did not agree. I was getting "you cooling off period starts from when the site goes live..." I quoted some EU consumer laws from the link below, threatened the small claims court and the support requested that they call me back after getting some clarification. They did not ring back, so I rang back the next day only to be told i was indeed still inside the 14 days cooling off period. I got an email to that fact and from there proceeded to cancel DD and blacklist them, just in case.. I will be doing a chargeback on the €100 if its not returned within the 10 working days.

I wouldn't have taken the stance i did was i not forewarned by people on this thread, so thanks to everyone here..

If you are having issues like i had above have a look at this link.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

This thread has gotten ridiculous.
    NO more personal comments.
    NO more off topic discussions.

I’m going to start removing OT posts too.

Regards,
    MiCr0

Advertisement