Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh no
    :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

goosey11 wrote: »
    I recently bought a 4K tv and I use Netflix but according to Netflix I need 15-20mb to stream 4K. Was only getting 5mb. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like.😀

Netflix 4K eats 7 gigs an hour,so one movie and you're goosed until midnight :eek:

Speedtest here just now
    Incredible for 630 of a Friday

5845987158.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Speedtest here just now

5845987158.png

So you would use your full daily allowance in what? 30 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Speedtest here just now

5845987158.png

Just out of interest what speed would you get over WiFi if tested in the same room as the router. My average is 50mbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 goosey11

Oh god is it really that much consumption for 4K streaming.. better keep an eye on it so. That's excellent speed Arkl0w. If I get half that I'll be delighted.

lolliedog wrote: »
    Just out of interest what speed would you get over WiFi if tested in the same room as the router. My average is 50mbs.

About 70 to 80 when it's that speed on cable

So far 99% of the tests in the last month wired have been above 50

89% of them have been above 70mb
    100% were above 49 mb

Only one test was below 50 at 49mb

It's a lot to do with LoS and nearness to the mast but I'm a happy camper!

The tests are done in the house too on my own router
    The imagine router is in a workshop about 90 metres by cat5E away
    It's wifi is on and available around the yard

So you would use your full daily allowance in what? 30 mins?

Nope
    An hour of 1080 Netflix just loads faster,the file size is the same
    It's also not affected by anything else people are doing
    For instance on my old Vodafone dsl,if someone was downloading something,playing games or whatever,then you'd be stuck with a 480 resolution Netflix
    Now click and it's 1080 straight away

The problem I'm finding is,you'd be tempted to download a lot of stuff you'll never have the time to watch
    You can't binge stream a HD box set as by episode 7 you might have gone to 20 but You can take loads of 720 box sets and watch them later off line

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

About 70 to 80 when it's that speed on cable

So far 99% of the tests in the last month wired have been above 50

89% of them have been above 70mb
    100% were above 49 mb

Only one test was below 50 at 49mb

It's a lot to do with LoS and nearness to the mast but I'm a happy camper!

The tests are done in the house too on my own router
    The imagine router is in a workshop about 90 metres by cat5E away
    It's wifi is on and available around the yard

Speed testing gets addictive!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lolliedog wrote: »
    Speed testing gets addictive!!

all that speedtesting will also bite into that 20gig data allowance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Timmy Dooley was asking about the 3.6GHz auction yesterday again. Someone must be onto him about it as this is the 2nd time he's asked in the last while.
    275. Deputy Timmy Dooley Information on Timmy Dooley Zoom on Timmy Dooley asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment Information on Denis Naughten Zoom on Denis Naughten if his attention has been drawn to the potential implications that the upcoming auction of the 3.6 GHz spectrum may have for the provision of fixed wire broadband services across the country, particularly in areas in which this is the only available broadband; the steps he will take to address these concerns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [38180/16]

Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment (Deputy Denis Naughten): Information on Denis Naughten Zoom on Denis Naughten The management of the radio spectrum (including the allocation of radio spectrum, the award of spectrum licences and the associated application of terms and conditions and obligations) is a statutory function of the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) under the Communications Regulation Act 2002, as amended. ComReg is independent in the exercise of this spectrum management function.

In October, I signed Regulations which will allow ComReg to auction spectrum in the 3.6GHz band (Wireless telegraphy (3.6GHz Band Licences) Regulations, 2016 (S.I. 532 of 2016)). This will allow ComReg to proceed to auction the 3.6GHz radio spectrum band, and will provide an 86% increase in total spectrum available for mobile and fixed wireless services. The liberalisation of this band is in accordance with EU rules, and will allow the band to be used for a combination of mobile and wireless services, providing better quality voice and data services to customers across Ireland.

I have no role or function in the delivery of the auction process, which is a matter for ComReg. Having regard to the independence of ComReg in the matter it would not be appropriate for me to make any comment on this matter at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

marno21 wrote: »
    Timmy Dooley was asking about the 3.6GHz auction yesterday again. Someone must be onto him about it as this is the 2nd time he's asked in the last while.

Whats the implication of this to imagine? i have not been keeping up.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Calhoun wrote: »
    Whats the implication of this to imagine? i have not been keeping up.

It's a new licensing regime to replace the old FWALA one. Under the FWALA scheme, an operator could pay a fixed annual fee for a licence to operate service within 20km of a transmitter site. Those licences will no longer be available for renewal as of July of next year, and the spectrum will be auctioned through a process similar to how mobile spectrum has been auctioned in the past (which makes sense, because it will also be available for mobile use).

The new licences will be issued on a regional basis. To replace their existing FWALA licences, Imagine will have to bid for spectrum in pretty much all the regions (although possibly not for the five cities, depending whether they're planning to sell there). It's going to be an expensive process - assuming they only need 25MHz of spectrum nationwide (they'll probably want more), and assuming they only apply for the rural regions, the upfront cost has a reserve of almost €300k, plus the guts of another €55k a year for the duration of the licences.

If they need more spectrum, scale the costs accordingly, and - for the sake of completeness - the same 25MHz in the cities would cost almost the same again. And that's assuming they pay the reserve price, rather than having to outbid the mobile operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Itll go to a bidding war. Three and Vodafone will definitely want in. For towns and cities its a huge benefit, same site, same/similar costs, more to go around. Meteor might not have any capital right now thanks to the FTTH rollout but maybe.

I'd put money on imagine getting screwed then crying foul to the papers/TDs.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pretty sure it'll be an auction in the five cities, but again I'm not sure if Imagine want to go there. Are they offering LTE services within the city boundaries at the moment?

For the rural regions, I honestly don't know if anyone else will even bid. It's not useful spectrum for rural mobility, and it's probably priced out of the reach of most if not all regional operators.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Imagine have several sites in close proximity to cities that would be an issue were they to lose their spectrum:

Woodcock Hill in Limerick would be a clear issue as the mobile operators would want to use this site themselves. There's also an ESB? site near Killumney in Cork that they're using, if it's the ESB site the SCADA transmissions from this site are easily received in low areas of Cork so this site would have to go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Speedtest here just now

5845987158.png

Can you use testmy.net for your next test to show true speed and not prioritised website by imagine

Over Wifi just now using testmy.net
    73.7mb
    Not too bad and that's over wifi on the phone so faster no doubt wired

And using the open signal app just now 78.9-again over wifi
    There's a wifi radio running but that won't be using much

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Anyone know if nighttime downloads go against cap? downloaded 100GB overnight (from 1 am) when syncing backups

speeds ok this morning no warning text message about heavy usage

• Advertisement

df_h wrote: »
    Anyone know if nighttime downloads go against cap? downloaded 100GB overnight (from 1 am) when syncing backups

speeds ok this morning no warning text message about heavy usage

Thumbs-up-thumb-up-clip-art-clipart-2-clipartix.jpg

That's interesting but there are reports here of throttling down to 5 or 6 Mb and earlier even 1mb
    It must be mast dependent?
    Earlier in the thread there was an overnight 'no cap' but seemingly removed
    If it's back it would be great for gamers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thumbs-up-thumb-up-clip-art-clipart-2-clipartix.jpg

That's interesting but there are reports here of throttling down to 5 or 6 Mb and earlier even 1mb
    It must be mast dependent?
    Earlier in the thread there was an overnight 'no cap' but seemingly removed
    If it's back it would be great for gamers

If it's back it's a game changer for me pun intended !
    That's one of the main reasons I backed out

Over Wifi just now using testmy.net
    73.7mb
    Not too bad and that's over wifi on the phone so faster no doubt wired

Sorry arkLOW I wasn't clear in my request.i meant a peak time test on testmy.net. I found in imagine that in the first few weeks of my contract when speeds were good that offpeak tests on speed test.net and testmy.net were excellent but when peak times came speeds were good on speedtest.net on testmy.net they were dreadful due to traffic shaping by imagine to handle the peak time load on the network whilst still appearing on speedtest.net to look good. I pointed out this fact with my records over few weeks of testing to both support and comreg prior to leaving the network. Just wondering if imagine did anything to fix this since their intervention

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

km79 wrote: »
    If it's back it's a game changer for me pun intended !
    That's one of the main reasons I backed out

Bringing back unlimited usage between 1am and 7am would be a huge boost alright, I would even sign up myself if it was available while I wait for FTTH.

However, so far this isn't really a sign that Imagine have lifted the downloading restrictions at night time, the poster just got lucky that's he's gotten away with downloading 100 gigs! perhaps another Imagine user should try the same some night to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

1am is too early to allow unlimited downloads. Still going to affect people as thats not really that late. 2 or 3am would be better. There is no chance they are going to introduce it though, they dont need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

irishchris wrote: »
    Can you use testmy.net for your next test to show true speed and not prioritised website by imagine
    irishchris wrote: »
    Sorry arkLOW I wasn't clear in my request.i meant a peak time test on testmy.net. I found in imagine that in the first few weeks of my contract when speeds were good that offpeak tests on speed test.net and testmy.net were excellent but when peak times came speeds were good on speedtest.net on testmy.net they were dreadful due to traffic shaping by imagine to handle the peak time load on the network whilst still appearing on speedtest.net to look good. I pointed out this fact with my records over few weeks of testing to both support and comreg prior to leaving the network. Just wondering if imagine did anything to fix this since their intervention

You asked for a testmy result on the basis that imagine supposedly prioritise Speedtest.net
    When given,and proven not to be the case,you're changing the question to a completely different question looking for a peak time result
    To be fair by the way Sunday morning on the web can be generally regarded as slower/busy

OverRide wrote: »
    You asked for a testmy result on the basis that imagine supposedly prioritise Speedtest.net
    When given,and proven not to be the case,you're changing the question to a completely different question looking for a peak time result
    To be fair by the way Sunday morning on the web can be generally regarded as slower/busy
    I did ask for testmy.net result but should have specified peak time as they were prioritised speedtest.net traffic whereas testmy or downloads were being throttled. This along with the complete snail pace broadband which I ended up with led to me leaving.hoping is no longer the case and was really just a curiosity thing more than anything else.no offence to you or others here intended

615 pm Sunday
    Over wifi on testmy.net

91.9mb :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Mine is around 30MB at the moment (using testmynet), which aint bad it maxs out around 60.

Right now anything is better than the 2MB eir line.

• Advertisement

615 pm Sunday
    Over wifi on testmy.net

91.9mb :)

Excellent result there about 20 ahead of my three connection.if you have time would you try it at peak time, ie around 9pm. Cheers

Advertisement