Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

8pm

83.4Mb

Both tests this evening faster than this mornings using testmy.net

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

ArKl0w wrote: »
    8pm

83.4Mb

Wow, You are getting amazing speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

ArKl0w wrote: »
    8pm

83.4Mb

That's an impressive average of 70 mb/s. Any chance of one around 9pm peak time if you get chance as this is the time I used to suffer most slowdown but by looks of it you don't seem to have the same congestion on your mast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Arklow; can I ask what jitter you're seeing and ping rates during peak?
    I'm this close to ordering their LTE but would love if there was someone that could confirm that it would give me a better latency than my current 80-3,000ms range that eircon currently provides me with.

Yeah, I game and chat to a bunch of friends in our virtual pub snug for years now. I'm always the one that gets disconnected though so I'm fed up of eircoms promises that fibre will "soon" arrive (fibre cable goes past the front of my lane but I'm apparently almost 1km too far away from the exchange..)

Ping to Carlow/Shannon/Dublin is always 14 or 15 ms
    To UK servers 20 to 40 I think

However look at the line of sight I have,its to the mast on the centre of that hill in the attached grainy photo (I screen grabbed a screen grab to zoom in),photo taken standing on the roof beside imagine's pole
    The better view you have and the closer,the better
    I'm 6.6kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

smokingman wrote: »
    I'm this close to ordering their LTE but would love if there was someone that could confirm that it would give me a better latency than my current 80-3,000ms range that eircon currently provides me with.

Yeah, I game and chat to a bunch of friends in our virtual pub snug for years now. I'm always the one that gets disconnected though so I'm fed up of eircoms promises that fibre will "soon" arrive (fibre cable goes past the front of my lane but I'm apparently almost 1km too far away from the exchange..)

I'm a MMO gamer and my pings to the game server in Amsterdam range between 49 and 79 usually, about 120 to 200 to the US server. Connection is very stable, rare d/c's are due to server issues /game crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappy123

Got a text stating installs will start on the 19th Dec for the high site in Capataggle once optimisation has been completed. I find it strange how they can do drive testing etc when they still have no equipment on the tower, I have just drove past it again and it is still only Vodafone antenna's on the tower. These lads are pretty damn awful and complete LIARS.

Thanks for the replies all.
    Have a good few security cams there as well so if it's good enough for gaming, it's good enough for that too.

I'll let you all know how the experience goes as I've just ordered.
    Fingers crossed I have an issue free install, service etc and be sorted before chrimbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local site decommissioned today. I got no notice. No wimax or house phone. I rang them a few weeks ago. They assured me there was no plan to do this and I would get a months notice. Cant get broadband with anyone else. Beyond annoyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

whelan2 wrote: »
    Local site decommissioned today. I got no notice. No wimax or house phone. I rang them a few weeks ago. They assured me there was no plan to do this and I would get a months notice. Cant get broadband with anyone else. Beyond annoyed

What? Imagine telling no lies. Not unlike them.

• Advertisement

What? Imagine telling no lies. Not unlike them.

Phone call to them took 42 minutes. They also said they would ring me back before 3. I am still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Our local site due for decommissioning next week. Rang them today as I'm still waiting for them to test my house for an lte signal (clare). Was told it would be next week at the earliest. No chance of extending the wimax until i have an alternative sourced either. Pretty shoddy imo. Facing into a long period with no broadband at home

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Our local site due for decommissioning next week. Rang them today as I'm still waiting for them to test my house for an lte signal (clare). Was told it would be next week at the earliest. No chance of extending the wimax until i have an alternative sourced either. Pretty shoddy imo. Facing into a long period with no broadband at home

very poor by Imagine, to not inform customers that they are ending a service is really bad form. I would definitely complain like hell, how many others are effected by this? Are they ending their wimax service altogether across the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    very poor by Imagine, to not inform customers that they are ending a service is really bad form. I would definitely complain like hell, how many others are effected by this? Are they ending their wimax service altogether across the country?

They most likely need the spectrum that the Wimax service is currently occupying.

Gonzo wrote: »

To be fair they did give me 30 days notice which ends on the 14th. I asked would i be eligible for their lte service but they weren't sure as I'm on the limits of their area of coverage. I told them that 30 days notice was poor form bearing in mind that i would now be waiting to install a landline and end up with around 3mb broadband. I asked could they not extend the wimax service for another bit longer until people like me source an alternative. They said no. I'm praying I'm within their area of coverage but i have my doubts. Probably just end up contacting eir or Vodafone and go down the landline route. Amazing in this day and age that I'm going backwards. ...from 8 -10mb down to around 3mb....shocking state of affairs in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Waiting nearly 2 weeks for installation. When d site passed they said a couple of days. Lucky enough I still have the wimax. Any one else get installed to Minch Norton in athy

koppy wrote: »
    Waiting nearly 2 weeks for installation. When d site passed they said a couple of days. Lucky enough I still have the wimax. Any one else get installed to Minch Norton in athy

I'm hoping to be...only ordered today though.

Edit; They're doing installs in the area tomorrow apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

irishchris wrote: »
    Can you use testmy.net for your next test to show true speed and not prioritised website by imagine

I don't think testmy.net is a great website to use for speedtest. Closest server is in UK and speeds are different on every server from my tests. Speedtest.net gives me about 94mb on my tests. I have used plenty of other speedtesting sites and all give around the 90 figure.

On testmy I can range between 65mb and 98mb depending on the server that I use. I don't find the UK one particularly great as tends to give me different speeds each time.

That all being said. If I was to use a certain website... to download a certain video... that I may or may not then watch on my TV. it downloads at about 8.6mb in the certain programe that I may or may not use to obtain said video. So correct me if I'm wrong but this would mean an average speed of 86mb?

Anyway apologies for the long winded post but in my opinion testmy.net is not a great site.

smokingman wrote: »

Here is the data from the last 30 days from my SamKnows box:

Latency (Ping):

403193.PNG

Packet Loss:

403194.PNG

Jitter Down:

403196.PNG

Jitter Up:

403195.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Do you have corresponding down/up speed charts navi ?

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Do you have corresponding down/up speed charts navi ?

I do.

Download:

403199.PNG

Upload:

403200.PNG

I'm getting some bizarre results like 0.4Mb at 5AM one morning but the average speeds are decent and I am very happy with it. There is no comparison to my previous Breeze service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I do.

Download:

403199.PNG

Upload:

403200.PNG

I'm getting some bizarre results like 0.4Mb at 5AM one morning but the average speeds are decent and I am very happy with it. There is no comparison to my previous Breeze service.

That's just fantastic - cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Something to watch out for with speedtest.net (and similar sites that use Ookla's engine) - Consistent speed tests on speedtest.net does not mean a consistent line speed. During its test, it ignores dips that account for less than 30% of the test duration. The purpose of this is to avoid dips caused by its Flash plug-in stuttering (not surprising given all the animated ads on its site), but in turn this eliminates the dips that occur with contention.

For example, while running a test on the Three network, I managed to capture an example of it ignoring a dip that lasted a few seconds. The needle was hovering about 15Mbps and the speed dipped to about 8Mbps for a few seconds going by Task manager's Ethernet graph. Notice how even Green graph below the needle does not show the sharp dip:

6D2G7jc.png

When the test completed, the figure only dropped by about 0.5Mbps even though this dip should realistic have dropped the test result to around 12Mbps:

5853764475.png

To see speed fluctuations in realtime, I suggest starting a large download from fast site (e.g. ISO from this Heanet page) and bring up the Windows Task Manager's Ethernet graph (SHIFT+CTRL+ESC, click 'Performance' tab, then 'Ethernet' on the left). If the graph is fluctuating up and down even though Speedtest.net was showing consistent speeds, the bottleneck is unlikely at Heanet's end.

editorsean wrote: »
    To see speed fluctuations in realtime, I suggest starting a large download from fast site (e.g. ISO from this Heanet page) and bring up the Windows Task Manager's Ethernet graph (SHIFT+CTRL+ESC, click 'Performance' tab, then 'Ethernet' on the left). If the graph is fluctuating up and down even though Speedtest.net was showing consistent speeds, the bottleneck is unlikely at Heanet's end.

What about torrents like u torrent? Mine shows pretty much a consistent enough 8.6mb when downloading? Would you take that as good and ignore the speed tests?

AH2016 wrote: »
    What about torrents like u torrent? Mine shows pretty much a consistent enough 8.6mb when downloading? Would you take that as good and ignore the speed tests?

Yeah it is a good indicator. Your torrent download is reported in MB/s so multiply by 8 to get your speed in megabits per second so 68.8 megabits per second.

Yeah it is a good indicator. Your torrent download is reported in MB/s so multiply by 8 to get your speed in megabits per second so 68.8 megabits per second.

Thanks. That is actually really good to know I can now stop wasting data doing multiple speed tests per day. It does get quite addictive. Downloads would be done with Netflix on and a playstation on gaming online at same time too so I'm very happy with that. Does everything I need it to do so far and beats the previous 3.5mb congested line I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

I spoke to Imagine a few weeks ago.They checked my Eircode and told me that I wouldn't get a signal. They only have one mast in Clare and it's the wrong side of Mount Callan, but my neighbour 200 yards up the road would get a signal. Apparently they are going to erect another one in the north of the county in the new year. They won't get my business though as I've just re-signed with Vodafone mobile broadband!

Roynie wrote: »
    I spoke to Imagine a few weeks ago.They checked my Eircode and told me that I wouldn't get a signal. They only have one mast in Clare and it's the wrong side of Mount Callan, but my neighbour 200 yards up the road would get a signal. Apparently they are going to erect another one in the north of the county in the new year. They won't get my business though as I've just re-signed with Vodafone mobile broadband!
    I'm in mid clare south of Newmarket on fergus. I reckon i will be out of signal too but the sales guy on the phone spoke to his tech boss who insisted that i could well be within limits (albeit just about ). My issue here is that i wish they would quite simply come out, check for signal and at least then i know that I'm good to go, or that i need to order a landline. I've resigned myself to no broadband over the holidays at this stage. Imagine should, imo, have given more notice about the termination of wimax so we could have time to sort this out.
    Also, are they not installing a mast on woodcock hill? ? Thought i read that somewhere before

Apparently a letter sent to me in June about lte was my 28 days notice. Beware of imagine.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Apparently a letter sent to me in June about lte was my 28 days notice. Beware of imagine.

By the sounds of things we could all be without imagine in a year or two if they either run out of money or have no spectrum left meaning they close down Lte
    Meantime the above risk is added to the list to look out for when using this stopgap service

Advertisement