Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Silently changed terms. Promising everything on a network that we know will rapidly contend.

Selling a product on a temporary licence knowing full well they may not be able to provide it less than a year down the road and saying nothing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

I got installed on the Dunmurray mast in Kildare earlier this week. Speeds hovering around 45-50 mbps in the morning and at 2am last night, but closer to 20mbps between 7pm-11pm.

Would this be usual?

I have been dipping in and out of this thread ... haven't read the entire thread ... so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm guessing that the speeds will slow down over time??

Pretty much the normal
    If those are wifi tests,then connection to a laptop via Ethernet cable will be much faster and obviously so will torrents or gaming if on Ethernet
    Some closer to the towers with very strong signal's are reporting 70 to 90 speeds

They've penned articles published in the indo,the latest one suggests they're looking for to be in on the National broadband plan ,the one Siro and Eir are going for
    The wording of the legislation does not exclude wireless providers

However as Ed suggests their current 3.6 license is temporary so they could be goosed if they don't Win bids for it
    If I was a betting man,I'd say they've advice that they will win some/enough
    They do seem to have a war chest

I am surprised that Timmy Dooley with all his Dail questions hasn't asked what happens to their tens of thousands of customers if they don't?

As Ed suggests,it might end up like the tv deflector solution of a few years back i.e. An election issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OverRide wrote: »
    Pretty much the normal
    If those are wifi tests,then connection to a laptop via Ethernet cable will be much faster and obviously so will torrents or gaming if on Ethernet
    Some closer to the towers with very strong signal's are reporting 70 to 90 speeds

They've penned articles published in the indo,the latest one suggests they're looking for to be in on the National broadband plan ,the one Siro and Eir are going for
    The wording of the legislation does not exclude wireless providers

However as Ed suggests their current 3.6 license is temporary so they could be goosed if they don't Win bids for it
    If I was a betting man,I'd say they've advice that they will win some/enough
    They do seem to have a war chest

I am surprised that Timmy Dooley with all his Dail questions hasn't asked what happens to their tens of thousands of customers if they don't?

As Ed suggests,it might end up like the tv deflector solution of a few years back i.e. An election issue

Imagine are not one of the three remaining bidders for NBP contracts.

That is not to say there will not be a place for LTE in the future of broadband in Ireland.
    They might very well have sufficient customers to make their service viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Hi. I'm currently paying Ripplecom €50 per month for a patchy service. Imagine have just offered me this deal :- €60.00 per month - 70 megs, 20 gigs a day €100 installation. 3 twenty somethings (plus me) in the house, so internet kept busy. €100 installation fee a bit hard to find at this time of year.... Anybody got any advice whether I should go for it? Thanks in advance.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Imagine are not one of the three remaining bidders for NBP contracts.

That is not to say there will not be a place for LTE in the future of broadband in Ireland.
    They might very well have sufficient customers to make their service viable.

True but the rather helpful EU worded legislation could mean they can be bought out by one of the winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Hi. I'm currently paying Ripplecom €50 per month for a patchy service. Imagine have just offered me this deal :- €60.00 per month - 70 megs, 20 gigs a day €100 installation. 3 twenty somethings (plus me) in the house, so internet kept busy. €100 installation fee a bit hard to find at this time of year.... Anybody got any advice whether I should go for it? Thanks in advance.
    296 pages of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

km79 wrote: »
    296 pages of it :D

Guilty as charged. I really wanted to avoid reading the whole thread....

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You know better than anyone what the people in your house use. Its hard to compare when you say "patchy" service from Ripplecom because your patchy could mean something different to others.

So there will be 4 users if internet, that 20GB isnt going to last long. In my house its just my girlfriend and I and I dont let her use the Imagine service, its for my PC only. She has to use the 4G on her mobile. Even at that I am CONSTANTLY aware of the data Im using and it reduces me using it for a lot fo things I normally would, like streaming all the time like I want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

with 4 users, that's roughly 5 gigs each per day over a 24 hour period, 1 1080p movie each, some youtube videos and watching videos on twitter/facebook feeds would use all that up.

Gonzo wrote: »
    with 4 users, that's roughly 5 gigs each per day over a 24 hour period, 1 1080p movie each, some youtube videos and watching videos on twitter/facebook feeds would use all that up.

At which point you are throttled to between 2 and 6mb according to this thread until midnight when it's reset back to normal until you go over again which isn't too bad
    You'd still be able to watch 1080p if they all gathered in front of the one tv like the Waltons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

like others have said it maybe best to avoid imagine if there are 4 light - moderate users in the house as if one person downloads a game your allowance is gone and are throttled. if four all watch a hd movie you have exceeded your allowance and are throttled etc. Or you could wait until midnight and watch a movie each...... oh hang on that would mean you will be throttled all day then.......maybe best to stay with your current provider if it is unlimited or better allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Ripplecom's allowance is much much less, 100 gig a month for the 50 Euro plan iirc. So Imagine is an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

As far as I know, yes their router needs to be connected to the cable coming from your aerial, however you can run a cable from one of the network ports on the Imagine router into the WAN port on your own wireless router. It may require a small bit of configuration but you can then use your router for WIFI access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

I'm using the phone,I ported my landline number over to it
    It's fine
    Unlimited landline calls within Ireland north and south
    You have to use their router to receive the service
    They lock that down giving you no access for security reasons to do with it having a voip phone line

You can use your own router as your main access point if you plug yours into theirs lan to wan/wanlan
    You'll need probably to change the IP address on your own router to do that,Does it have a lan or wan port?
    You can use the remaining lan port on imagine's router to connect to anything you want then and of course any unused lan ports on your own router will connect to stuff by cable
    Cable connection gives much faster speed than wifi
    You can have wifi from both or just your own
    Tech can turn off wifi on their router if you wish
    You'll need to have them on different frequencies if using both obviously

Anyhow if you're prepared to wait 20 minutes for them to answer your call,their tech support will talk you through it as it's a bit trial and error if you're not sure what you're doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Yep, been using it for 4 months now. Never a problem apart from the occasional loss of service from the mast for whatever reason. I am using a Binatone Shield call blocker with a base and two handsets. Get about 40m of distance from the base which allows me to use the handset in my workshop/dairy.

Got the phone from Tesco's Direct in the UK.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

ED E wrote: »
    Hope they lose it all though the way they're carrying on.

And f8ck anyone that can't get broadband from any other provider, nice attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

I got installed on the mast this week. I'm 10 kms from the mast. I'm getting great speeds. A lot of times 40 to 65 over WiFi and 60 to 95 by ethernet have been my speed's. I have clear line of sight doh. How far r u away from the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

And f8ck anyone that can't get broadband from any other provider, nice attitude.

One provider acts recklessly and rolls out a network with a year to go in the licence regime, signing people up for 18 month contracts it knows it can't currently deliver, unless some gamble pays off. This kind of reckless trading is probably illegal under the companies acts.

I just cannot believe that politics will short-circuit a spectrum auction in an EU state. These auctions are for a natural resource owned by the state/people and should be conducted transparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Weird issue on my line, my ethernet connection which uses TPlink is only getting 5MB down while the wireless is at 50MB. Anyone experienced anything like this before was working grand uintil last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Calhoun wrote: »
    Weird issue on my line, my ethernet connection which uses TPlink is only getting 5MB down while the wireless is at 50MB. Anyone experienced anything like this before was working grand uintil last night.

Try a different cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anyone having issues signing into the PlaySationNetwork on a PS3, I have had no issues with my PS4.

I connected wireless and on lan, I have an internet connect but it keeps failing to sign into the PSN

Try a different cable?

Tried it, when it happens the connection works ok for a test or two then back down to 4MB.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    One provider acts recklessly and rolls out a network with a year to go in the licence regime, signing people up for 18 month contracts it knows it can't currently deliver, unless some gamble pays off. This kind of reckless trading is probably illegal under the companies acts.

I just cannot believe that politics will short-circuit a spectrum auction in an EU state. These auctions are for a natural resource owned by the state/people and should be conducted transparently.

What's not transparent?
    Politicians will facilitate a solution should 10's of 1000's be knocked out of a service if Imagine don't win spectrum
    That's democracy
    Open to Comreg is the sale of the service to one or all of the winning bidders Or the lease of spectrum to Imagine Or some other solution

None of it is reckless trading if suppliers of services to Imagine are getting paid,have you evidence that they are not?
    It's also not reckless trading when as I presume all investors know what their future options are or may be, before going into this

Honestly there are children starving out in Africa better worried about besides getting angry over this set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats in line to happen anyway. Thats the point. Imagine have no solid hold on the bands and probably dont have the funds to win them.

Interruption will only be brief though, whichever Teclo successfully bids for bands will use them quickly. You don't spend €10M+ on an allocation then sit on it.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Tried it, when it happens the connection works ok for a test or two then back down to 4MB.

Was my tplink setup in the end. I reset the other night and messed it up .

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OverRide wrote: »
    Politicians will facilitate a solution should 10's of 1000's be knocked out of a service if Imagine don't win spectrum
    That's democracy

The awarding of the spectrum is up to Comreg, and is supposed to be independent of any political influence. What solution do you see politicians facilitating?

Advertisement