Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

And f8ck anyone that can't get broadband from any other provider, nice attitude.

Exactly. Decommissioning the signal with no notice coming up to Christmas....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I assume if imagine do lost their tender on trhe spectrum and customers are impacted that they will null and void the 18 month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The awarding of the spectrum is up to Comreg, and is supposed to be independent of any political influence. What solution do you see politicians facilitating?

Oh I'd say they'll be very quick to arbitrate a solution like whatever needs to be done to either restore service or prevent it from stopping at all
    That'll either be legislatively if necessary allowing the subletting of that license to Imagine or the take over of their service

It's an almost certainty in my opinion in the current political environment

I'm just wondering,in another thread you were saying that the 3.6 frequency was more Needy of a line of sight to work,what would tele co's possibly want to bid 10's of millions on those for then if they aren't too suitable for 4G?
    Other than for wireless broadband that is,if there's money in it and I assume there must be?
    If that's the case wouldn't it make sense for Comreg to be facilitating and in favour of a quick seamless take over of existing services on those frequencies in the same way OFCOM in the U.K. facilitate new tv companies taking over regional tv channel licences over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Calhoun wrote: »
    I assume if imagine do lost their tender on trhe spectrum and customers are impacted that they will null and void the 18 month contract?

Based on the fact that they have cancelled people's Wimax service without notice, but continued billing them months afterwards, a null and void contract won't make a blind bit of difference to their income stream. :rolleyes:

Based on the fact that they have cancelled people's Wimax service without notice, but continued billing them months afterwards, a null and void contract won't make a blind bit of difference to their income stream. :rolleyes:

If it does come to it ill have to get into the bank and cancel my DD at source.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    If it does come to it ill have to get into the bank and cancel my DD at source.

You can cancel a direct debit via online banking these days
    You only need to go in if you want to claim one back
    Which mast are you connected to,is it near a city?
    Those near cities are the ones that may be wanted by the likes of Vodafone or three but I'm still wondering why if they're not as effective for 4G mobile owing to being line of sight needy

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OverRide wrote: »
    Oh I'd say they'll be very quick to arbitrate a solution like whatever needs to be done to either restore service or prevent it from stopping at all
    That'll either be legislatively if necessary allowing the subletting of that license to Imagine or the take over of their service
    The auction already allows for subletting of spectrum, but anyone who rents spectrum is going to want to get more for it than they paid for it.
    I'm just wondering,in another thread you were saying that the 3.6 frequency was more Needy of a line of sight to work,what would tele co's possibly want to bid 10's of millions on those for then if they aren't too suitable for 4G?
    I honestly have no idea how much the spectrum is likely to go for. I'll be watching the auction with interest.
    If that's the case wouldn't it make sense for Comreg to be facilitating and in favour of a quick seamless take over of existing services on those frequencies in the same way OFCOM in the U.K. facilitate new tv companies taking over regional tv channel licences over there?
    Comreg have set out their rationale for this auction in exhaustive, if not exhausting, detail. It's all on their website if you have insomnia some night.

Comreg have set out their rationale for this auction in exhaustive, if not exhausting, detail. It's all on their website if you have insomnia some night.

No thanks! I get sleepy enough reading this thread
    No desire at all to turn into Rip van Winkle altogether :D

You can cancel a direct debit via online banking these days
    You only need to go in if you want to claim one back
    Which mast are you connected to,is it near a city?
    Those near cities are the ones that may be wanted by the likes of Vodafone or three but I'm still wondering why if they're not as effective for 4G mobile owing to being line of sight needy

Nope im in the midlands (laois) and 30 mins away from a major town/city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Got installed on the Minch Norton antenna on Friday.
    Not exactly thrilled with the results even though it's better than what I had with eircom.v2FC6aiYMzK1NiaxTn2koeLAuHVn67Q4-7xXE2ZOVdfsDVyMDvcI8jrxp1c5h_l-55MGvuvHN7ZWyqgaaneqo8jim5GlOHB1qfVg4auasN5_G_Txd0KbjhFp4iNSAcWpfT6giREzstiCMSZEyea0BCx4gPeR098SCuMM6LZ9-haSVQiCIfMMhH7lTk5SzB52iQ7clOYFlrufV_1MYGFGOlIEKdoDcOJIl3cDa8pvLNN9lGwqmW9e-B0X-nEH6NZyJfHhOPMuctrxk8s-iZICM3HZ-zq2FOlztGiHM3Ryl73VsipCgaAf4NKwsoCe-ab-qW4jMw2GC-PZrK5x6U3B9vZrq1A7OguHDOZ_YHdMJ39EfOwq5gmsFuRhKQJclIdhUzB-WtJi31EAokB78sg8Wm5IfH7Yao-xHzCSZlulc470atJEJXvHeHYyMVnsUv5noNHFAWq9omMQwjdekqDt8kVX_ZGpG_XyqBQZNd9RZdGmTRMUHV1yCXKZwVrcFFrE_VNQV-HrAlczeGp_VcyxapA98_R9UPcCQHXCGjbJkPuzt-DZUdUY50p5K5tJUfilBvfR1XWzi5FNUjERj0paG2NKX_msQdEDW54NAk9jc5e2KFC-EXKISCfpnzpO015-Apu532GJkY7-zwHNaW_i9tdHxJjnZHjGfe1YHWamLw=w905-h446-no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Approaching 6 months @ abbeyknockmoy mast, no complaints yet, peak speeds are falling to about 60mbit but most of the day its 70-80mbit, probably would be more than the max of 83mbit if I wasnt one of the first to signup and endup with crappy greenpacket hardware

5871039564.png

my tests at random times going back 6 months
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

My ssh sessions dont cut out unlike before, (i usually have dozen ssh connections open to work servers)
    No problems on xbox live (tho' havent played in few months now due to work)
    No problems streaming almost every evening for tv in 1080
    Havent got throttled once yet despite occasional large download (80 and 100GB and insane constantly large xbox updates) being left on at night

so knocks wood hopefully next 6 months doesn't prove my experience up to now wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

df_h wrote: »
    Approaching 6 months @ abbeyknockmoy mast, no complaints yet, peak speeds are falling to about 60mbit but most of the day its 70-80mbit, probably would be more than the max of 83mbit if I wasnt one of the first to signup and endup with crappy greenpacket hardware

5871039564.png

my tests at random times going back 6 months
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

My ssh sessions dont cut out unlike before, (i usually have dozen ssh connections open to work servers)
    No problems on xbox live (tho' havent played in few months now due to work)
    No problems streaming almost every evening for tv in 1080
    Havent got throttled once yet despite occasional large download (80 and 100GB and insane constantly large xbox updates) being left on at night

so knocks wood hopefully next 6 months doesn't prove my experience up to now wrong.

Interesting thanks for the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

the 3.6 frequency was more Needy of a line of sight to work,what would tele co's possibly want to bid 10's of millions on those for then if they aren't too suitable for 4G?

It does attenuate quicker but its still usable. Traditional LTE here is all FDD, these chunks will likely be used for TDD which not all devices support. But a MNO could very easily deploy it in denser areas for their "Broadband" products.

Take say Maynooth town, stick up 3.6Ghz TDD cell, move all the MBB customers onto that, leave the handsets on the existing FDD network. Contention hits the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

km79 wrote: »
    Interesting thanks for the update

Yep cancelled Sky too, so current expense for broadband and entertainment is 60 vs old 120 eur/month = 80 (3-4 mbit 'broadband') + 40 'sky'

Between netflix, youtube, kodi and freesat thats all TV needs for family sorted, odd soccer game want to watch go to pub and meet people :)

I just noticed old wifi broadband provider increased speeds slightly and lowered prices for new customers, but still an order of magnitude off in speeds.

Imagine did spend alot of time getting me a static ip address and forwarding the ports is asked i had details posted in this thread few hundred pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

smokingman wrote: »
    Got installed on the Minch Norton antenna on Friday.
    Not exactly thrilled with the results even though it's better than what I had with eircom.v2FC6aiYMzK1NiaxTn2koeLAuHVn67Q4-7xXE2ZOVdfsDVyMDvcI8jrxp1c5h_l-55MGvuvHN7ZWyqgaaneqo8jim5GlOHB1qfVg4auasN5_G_Txd0KbjhFp4iNSAcWpfT6giREzstiCMSZEyea0BCx4gPeR098SCuMM6LZ9-haSVQiCIfMMhH7lTk5SzB52iQ7clOYFlrufV_1MYGFGOlIEKdoDcOJIl3cDa8pvLNN9lGwqmW9e-B0X-nEH6NZyJfHhOPMuctrxk8s-iZICM3HZ-zq2FOlztGiHM3Ryl73VsipCgaAf4NKwsoCe-ab-qW4jMw2GC-PZrK5x6U3B9vZrq1A7OguHDOZ_YHdMJ39EfOwq5gmsFuRhKQJclIdhUzB-WtJi31EAokB78sg8Wm5IfH7Yao-xHzCSZlulc470atJEJXvHeHYyMVnsUv5noNHFAWq9omMQwjdekqDt8kVX_ZGpG_XyqBQZNd9RZdGmTRMUHV1yCXKZwVrcFFrE_VNQV-HrAlczeGp_VcyxapA98_R9UPcCQHXCGjbJkPuzt-DZUdUY50p5K5tJUfilBvfR1XWzi5FNUjERj0paG2NKX_msQdEDW54NAk9jc5e2KFC-EXKISCfpnzpO015-Apu532GJkY7-zwHNaW_i9tdHxJjnZHjGfe1YHWamLw=w905-h446-no

Looks like this is pretty consistent speeds above since install. Beginning to think this is a faulty install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

smokingman wrote: »
    Looks like this is pretty consistent speeds above since install. Beginning to think this is a faulty install.

Are you relying solely on testmy.net for your tests? In my experience with my own connection it underreports speed.

Try speedtest.upc.ie

Wired ethernet as well of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

I've been watching this thread in parts for a while now.
    Got setup with Imagine two weeks ago in our new build - only moved in today.
    Their router is in room at one end of the house beside a few cat5e points that all come back to a patch panel in our utility.

Does anyone know how I can setup my own router to send the signal around house?
    It's a Netgear WNDR4000.

Any help much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

rodge123 wrote: »
    Their router is in room at one end of the house beside a few cat5e points that all come back to a patch panel in our utility.

It's a Netgear WNDR4000.

Yes you can
    Connect it to a lan port on the imagine router and the wan or lan/wan on your net gear
    You will have to change the internal IP address of your net gear to stop a clash with imagines
    It's messy so a call to them explaining what you want to do is best especially as you're not allowed access to their router owing to security reasons they have with the voip phone set up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Update for anyone hoping to connect to Mount Mary High Site in Galway...

Keep in mind I signed up on 8th September, and promised a 3 week lead time:

Text message last week again:
    "Hi, this is an LTE update - We continue to work as hard and as fast as possible to bring your local LTE high site online so that your home can get connected to imag!ne LTE Fibre Speed Broadband before Christmas. Following the completion of final service and optimisation checks, we hope to be in a position to start LTE installations the week commencing the 19/12/16. We will contact you closer to the date to arrange an appointment. Thanks - Imagine LTE.”

I now have it in writing from Imagine the installations will be scheduled for 10 – 14 days after this date, that's if it goes live on that date at all. Anyone with a calendar can work out for themselves that you can kiss goodbye to a 2016 installation date.

Week after week it's been a different story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

after the failed lightning install I began to weaken again.......so I rang imagine just there as I'd received a text after requesting refund saying site in Cappatagle would be live !I'd December ...........again they couldn't find !y account details which they didn't need anyway as all I wanted to know was when site ws going live. After 5 minutes he told me it was now live Mid January ..........he didn't say of which year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

km79 wrote: »
    after the failed lightning install I began to weaken again.......so I rang imagine just there as I'd received a text after requesting refund saying site in Cappatagle would be live !I'd December ...........again they couldn't find !y account details which they didn't need anyway as all I wanted to know was when site ws going live. After 5 minutes he told me it was now live Mid January ..........he didn't say of which year :D

They couldn't find my account this evening either. They had to ring me back when they 'located' it

ED E wrote: »
    Traditional LTE here is all FDD, these chunks will likely be used for TDD...

Not likely; definitely. There are no paired FDD blocks on offer. The licences will stipulate TDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

rodge123 wrote: »

It's a Netgear WNDR4000.

Hi rodge123,

Basically you can either run two separate networks in the house with two different IP address series (e.g. a 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 series and a 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254 series) or you can run one network using the IP address series of the Router Imagine gave you.
    For simplicity, I would start with the latter way. This would require you to instruct your Netgear router to become an Access Point (AP). You would disable its DCHP system, give it a static IP address e.g. 192.168.0.253. This Netgear webpage gives you the general Netgear way of doing things. Your particular model may have small differences, which will be specified in its user manual, to these instructions:
    http://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-setup?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Once you've converted your router to an AP just site it next to a cat5 point wherever you want extended wifi and LAN. Insert a cable from a LAN port on the Netgear router into the cat5 point. You can use the other 3 ports on the Netgear as extra LAN ports. The Netgear will broadcast wifi on the same IP band as your Imagine Router, but all the IP addresses will be issued by the Imagine Router. Given that you've used an IP address of e.g. 192.168.0.253 to the Netgear i.e.well out of the list of addresses likely to be given out by the Imagine router, you will be very unlikely to suffer IP conflicts. If you do, you can arrange to avoid them by instructing your Imagine router to only issue IP addresses within a range which is below the Static IP address you've given the Netgear.

You will also need to tell each router to use different wifi channels so that you do not get wave interference. You could set the Imagine Router at Channel 1 and the Netgear Router at Channel 13.

If you've any questions ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

kesey wrote: »
    Hi rodge123,

Basically you can either run two separate networks in the house with two different IP address series (e.g. a 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 series and a 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254 series) or you can run one network using the IP address series of the Router Imagine gave you.
    For simplicity, I would start with the latter way. This would require you to instruct your Netgear router to become an Access Point (AP). You would disable its DCHP system, give it a static IP address e.g. 192.168.0.253. This Netgear webpage gives you the general Netgear way of doing things. Your particular model may have small differences, which will be specified in its user manual, to these instructions:
    http://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-setup?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Once you've converted your router to an AP just site it next to a cat5 point wherever you want extended wifi and LAN. Insert a cable from a LAN port on the Netgear router into the cat5 point. You can use the other 3 ports on the Netgear as extra LAN ports. The Netgear will broadcast wifi on the same IP band as your Imagine Router, but all the IP addresses will be issued by the Imagine Router. Given that you've used an IP address of e.g. 192.168.0.253 to the Netgear i.e.well out of the list of addresses likely to be given out by the Imagine router, you will be very unlikely to suffer IP conflicts. If you do, you can arrange to avoid them by instructing your Imagine router to only issue IP addresses within a range which is below the Static IP address you've given the Netgear.

You will also need to tell each router to use different wifi channels so that you do not get wave interference. You could set the Imagine Router at Channel 1 and the Netgear Router at Channel 13.

Well that was explained much better than I ever could
    He'll still have to call Imagine though as he won't know what channel its router is broadcasting on as only they have access to it,remote access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Well that was explained much better than I ever could
    He'll still have to call Imagine though as he won't know what channel its router is broadcasting on as only they have access to it,remote access

Or he could just use a wifi analyser app to see channel of all detected networks and change his own accordingly.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not likely; definitely. There are no paired FDD blocks on offer. The licences will stipulate TDD.

Ta. Thought it was a suggested use but not mandated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

kesey wrote: »
    Hi rodge123,

Many thanks for the detailed instructions kesey.
    I'll give them a go later today.

Update for anyone hoping to connect to Mount Mary High Site in Galway...

Keep in mind I signed up on 8th September, and promised a 3 week lead time:

Text message last week again:
    "Hi, this is an LTE update - We continue to work as hard and as fast as possible to bring your local LTE high site online so that your home can get connected to imag!ne LTE Fibre Speed Broadband before Christmas. Following the completion of final service and optimisation checks, we hope to be in a position to start LTE installations the week commencing the 19/12/16. We will contact you closer to the date to arrange an appointment. Thanks - Imagine LTE.”

I now have it in writing from Imagine the installations will be scheduled for 10 – 14 days after this date, that's if it goes live on that date at all. Anyone with a calendar can work out for themselves that you can kiss goodbye to a 2016 installation date.

Week after week it's been a different story...

I got installed a little over a month ago and was waiting ages
    Speeds are nearly always more than 60 mb
    There was no other choice here and yes it was a frustrating wait but the way I looked at it was it was like a by pass of a town,a long wait,promise after promise but you know it's coming once it's being built and when you finally get to drive on it, compared to the bottle necks and traffic jams of before,boy you're happy 😊
    To add to the analogy,some people's tyres blow out along the way but most peoples don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

These days do they still take the 100 euro charge off when you apply or do they do a site test first?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Ta. Thought it was a suggested use but not mandated.

That prompted me to check, and - as tends to be the case - it's never as straightforward as it initially appears.

First, any spectrum from 3600-3800 MHz is TDD-only. That's not negotiable.

Second, TDD is the preferred duplexing mode for spectrum from 3400-3600 MHz. That means that it's theoretically possible to operate FDD in this part of the band - but it's been allocated in a TDD band plan, and spectrum will only be awarded contiguously, so it would be necessary to buy a lot more spectrum than you actually need in order to operate FDD effectively.

The bottom line is that, while FDD is technically allowed, I'd be surprised to see anyone implementing it.

Advertisement