Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Anyone here with the Huawei router? If so, how many "signal" LED's are lit on the top of your router? Mine only has 3 (out of 5) lit, and having some issues with high ping times over the past few nights... as well as speed drop offs. Just want to have all my info before spending another hour of my life on the phone to support.

I wasn't following the thread for a while, but I also have a Huawei.

From the install, I have 3 out 5 LEDs lit. I don't usually get speeds in the 90-100 region, more like 40-60 (more than enough for me anyway) and ping is 19 ms.
    If you had 5 lit before and now only 3, then yes, I would give them a call. Otherwise I would just wait a couple of days and see if speeds and pings improve..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

km79 wrote: »
    Is there a way to track usage

Delighted you got hooked up. They told me a few weeks ago that you could use the website portal and there was an app coming as well but nothing as yet. I hooked my router back up and monitor it through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

What is the approximate waiting times for installation if I was to order it?
    I'm definitely eligible to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭becksy79

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    What is the approximate waiting times for installation if I was to order it?
    I'm definitely eligible to get it.

I'd imagine it depends on if or when your local site is live.
    I signed up in Sept, was told worse case scenario install would be mid Oct, finally got installed yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

90mb down
    11mb up

Oh my days

Congrats!
    Which CPE model have you got ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

alec76 wrote: »
    Congrats!

CPE = Customer-premises equipment. My fridge is a Smeg thank you.

I think modem or router is easier to understand for us septuagenarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vinny26

Hi I'm recently connected to lte imagine broadband to be fair it's doing everything it says speeds are steady no crashes of modem like my old **** Vodafone broadband I do have I drawback the don't allow u log in to the router to port forward I have been e-mailing them (cause this is how it's done apparently) but no joy don't know how good there tech service would be if I was having connection issues has any1 come across this yet it's a shame to let the service drop because of this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

90mb down
    11mb up

Oh my days

This morning
    25 down
    6 up

A worrying development
    Back to 70 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Anyone here with the Huawei router? If so, how many "signal" LED's are lit on the top of your router? Mine only has 3 (out of 5) lit, and having some issues with high ping times over the past few nights... as well as speed drop offs. Just want to have all my info before spending another hour of my life on the phone to support.

I wasn't following the thread for a while, but I also have a Huawei.

From the install, I have 3 out 5 LEDs lit. I don't usually get speeds in the 90-100 region, more like 40-60 (more than enough for me anyway) and ping is 19 ms.
    If you had 5 lit before and now only 3, then yes, I would give them a call. Otherwise I would just wait a couple of days and see if speeds and pings improve..
    Cheers. Yeah in fairness it's been 3 since install. Was wondering if maybe that's why i wasn't getting the super speeds that some people are getting on here. Mind you, looking at my bill, one of the line items is LTE Broadband - up to 70MB and 20MB per day.
    With that - how are people getting speeds of 90MB + on here? Thought it was the same package everyone was on.
    Mine has definitely deteriorated, particularly at peak times - not unusable in fact a lot better than anything i could have gotten on DSL, but not what was advertised. I'm on Tonabroky mast in Galway. Thinking they must have oversold on it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

This morning
    25 down
    6 up

A worrying development
    Back to 70 now

The elephant in the room with you may be that pole if they used it in this wind and I presume it's windier times 10 where you are versus me

• Advertisement

ArKl0w wrote: »
    The elephant in the room with you may be that pole if they used it in this wind and I presume it's windier times 10 where you are versus me

Yeah I'm going to put it down to that for now

Have not had time yet to sit down and ring tech support . Will be this afternoon
    Anyway I just connected my own router to theirs and it worked anyway
    I didn't need to go into setup or bridging mode??????
    I'll still ring for the fixed IP later i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yeah I'm going to put it down to that for now

Have not had time yet to sit down and ring tech support . Will be this afternoon
    Anyway I just connected my own router to theirs and it worked anyway
    I didn't need to go into setup or bridging mode??????
    I'll still ring for the fixed IP later i think

I think it is just contention. Mine has troughs every day. The time varies. Yesterday for example I got 15.77Mb at 5pm. It seems to be inherent to the technology. If you are expecting 90Mb all day every day you will be disappointed.

I think it is just contention. Mine has troughs every day. The time varies. Yesterday for example I got 15.77Mb at 5pm. It seems to be inherent to the technology. If you are expecting 90Mb all day every day you will be disappointed.

Ah I am not
    And in fairness if 15/20 is the trough I will be happy
    Was just strange
    930am is hardly peak time
    I've a feeling it was the wind and heavy rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ah I am not
    And in fairness if 15/20 is the trough I will be happy
    Was just strange
    930am is hardly peak time
    I've a feeling it was the wind and heavy rain

I've had some of my lowest results at 5am (SamKnows box), it makes no sense but I accept it as it is still vastly better than what I had. Unless it is a massive thin pole I doubt the wind could deflect it enough to affect your signal.

I've had some of my lowest results at 5am (SamKnows box), it makes no sense but I accept it as it is still vastly better than what I had. Unless it is a massive thin pole I doubt the wind could deflect it enough to affect your signal.

I must find out the name of my box for the person that asked earlier
    It a white one that is made in china is all I can remember !
    Will check when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Just got a call confirming test and hopefully install for 3rd January, it's pm slot so I won't be there, wife will but im guessing there's not much convincing them to install to your desired location anyway.
    Must ring sky now and give 30 days notice....

was onto tech support and got a static IP
    Also switched channels to avoid conflict with tp link router

And then I've tried setting up TP link router as an access point
    I was not sure what to do about giving it a static ip so I just left it at auto detect which I assume leaves it as dynamic ?
    The video also told me to switch off DHCP settings BUT when I did this no phones or tablets would connect to it although oddly the laptop still would ! So I went back in and switched it on and it all works again

TBH I don't know if I want anymore messing with the router trying to give it a static IP as everything is working fine

Congrats!

Gemtek

was onto tech support and got a static IP
    Also switched channels to avoid conflict with tp link router

And then I've tried setting up TP link router as an access point
    I was not sure what to do about giving it a static ip so I just left it at auto detect which I assume leaves it as dynamic ?
    The video also told me to switch off DHCP settings BUT when I did this no phones or tablets would connect to it although oddly the laptop still would ! So I went back in and switched it on and it all works again

TBH I don't know if I want anymore messing with the router trying to give it a static IP as everything is working fine

From what you say, it appears that you now have the Imagine router and the TP-link router acting as DHCP servers. That is a recipe for IP conflicts. Assume the Imagine Router has an IP address of 192.168.10.1. I would set the TP_Link IP address as 192.168.10.253 with DHCP disabled.
    Connect the two routers by an ethernet cable LAN-Port to LAN-Port. The Imagine router will then happily handle all the DHCP requests and you will have no IP conflicts.
    Give the TP-Link an SSID the same name as the Imagine router.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-1-heres-the-url-for-you/
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-2-optimizing-your-wi-fi-network/
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-3-taking-control-of-your-wires/

kesey wrote: »
    From what you say, it appears that you now have the Imagine router and the TP-link router acting as DHCP servers. That is a recipe for IP conflicts. Assume the Imagine Router has an IP address of 192.168.10.1. I would set the TP_Link IP address as 192.168.10.253 with DHCP disabled.
    Connect the two routers by an ethernet cable LAN-Port to LAN-Port. The Imagine router will then happily handle all the DHCP requests and you will have no IP conflicts.
    Give the TP-Link an SSID the same name as the Imagine router.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-1-heres-the-url-for-you/
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-2-optimizing-your-wi-fi-network/
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-3-taking-control-of-your-wires/
    just something else to note
    when I connected them LAN to LAN port the tp link had no internet
    so I've now connected LAN on gemtek to INTERNET port on tp link
    I think I'm in over my head LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

emm80 wrote: »
    Just got a call confirming test and hopefully install for 3rd January, it's pm slot so I won't be there, wife will but im guessing there's not much convincing them to install to your desired location anyway.
    Must ring sky now and give 30 days notice....

You might want to hold off on cancelling Sky.

If the install fails, you'll have to go crawling back to Sky and they might stick you on a new 18 month contract.

While it is expensive potentially having two services at the same time, it would be more prudent to keep, until you are absolutely sure the new service works and works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Well, I'll give my 30 days notice and if it fails, I'll just "cancel the cancelation" as such.did that before and they had no issues, even put a 30%discount on my package if the imagine install failed, which I didn't get a chance to test at I canceled imagine in October due to a raft of delays.

Need to look outfor a voip handset too, any good recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

Seriously waiting on a call back from tech team since Wednesday. I've been on hold for 20 minutes now.

They've blocked me from contacting them through social media. I've only had the installation since Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I phoned yesterday to order the imagine lte broadband and just got a message saying they are closed until 3rd January.

That's some holiday to give themselves...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Am not a 'techie' person so would really appreciate an answer to a question.

When it comes to internet connection what is 'contention'?

Thanks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When it comes to internet connection what is 'contention'?

Think about a water supply scheme. There's a large water main feeding a town, with smaller pipes branching off and a connection to each house.

If one person turns on their tap, they get full pressure. In fact, if several people turn on their taps, they can still all get full pressure. But if everyone turned on their taps at the same time, everyone would get a bare trickle.

In other words, they are "contending" - or competing - for the same supply. In very approximate terms, you could call the ratio between the maximum flow rate in a given tap and the maximum capacity of the water main the contention ratio.

In real terms it's an impossible thing to define with any precision, because apart from the whole town contending for the town main, each housing estate contends for the local main, and so on. In reality, a utility company will plan on the basis of how much water is likely to be used by all the houses on the network at any given moment in time, and size the mains accordingly.

It's somewhat similar when provisioning a broadband network, except that it's generally easier to provision extra capacity: the provider just has to pay for it instead of digging the streets to install new mains.

As a coda, a wireless network has more in common with a water main: it generally has a capacity determined by what the equipment can deliver, and if more capacity is needed, components have to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Think about a water supply scheme. There's a large water main feeding a town, with smaller pipes branching off and a connection to each house.

If one person turns on their tap, they get full pressure. In fact, if several people turn on their taps, they can still all get full pressure. But if everyone turned on their taps at the same time, everyone would get a bare trickle.

In other words, they are "contending" - or competing - for the same supply. In very approximate terms, you could call the ratio between the maximum flow rate in a given tap and the maximum capacity of the water main the contention ratio.

In real terms it's an impossible thing to define with any precision, because apart from the whole town contending for the town main, each housing estate contends for the local main, and so on. In reality, a utility company will plan on the basis of how much water is likely to be used by all the houses on the network at any given moment in time, and size the mains accordingly.

It's somewhat similar when provisioning a broadband network, except that it's generally easier to provision extra capacity: the provider just has to pay for it instead of digging the streets to install new mains.

As a coda, a wireless network has more in common with a water main: it generally has a capacity determined by what the equipment can deliver, and if more capacity is needed, components have to be replaced.

Thanks for an excellent reply.

just something else to note
    when I connected them LAN to LAN port the tp link had no internet
    so I've now connected LAN on gemtek to INTERNET port on tp link
    I think I'm in over my head LOL

"so I've now connected LAN on gemtek to INTERNET port on tp link"

That will work fine as long as the Imagine router and the TP-Link are on different networks e.g. Imagine on 192.168.10.1 and TP-Link on 192.168.1.1. Both routers would be set up as DHCP servers, and their wifi-channels would need to be set to be at least 6 channels apart.

The only difficulty with it is that your equipment: phones, iPads, laptops will have to be connected to one network or the other. The hardwired items like a desktop could be connected by ethernet to one router and by wifi to the other network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Congrats!

Gemtek
    Is it WVRTM-127acn ? As there are few different Gemtek's CPE available to Imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »

A slight addendum could be added there.

Say your biggest pipe is 30cm, and its not enough. You can lay another beside it. With wireless, you only get one pipe. When its full, its full. You can try pump harder at the far side, but only so much before you blow taps into ceilings.

Advertisement