Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Steady in the 60's and 70's yesterday on the slieve Boy mast in north Wexford running everything the family could throw at it
    Am pretty pleased,no burst pipe,doom ,gloom or naysaying in evidence,just something that's working the way it should be on a busy Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Getting between 5 and 25 on the Athy mast the last few days. 70 this certainly isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Over wifi just now

Barrack Croghan mast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Anybody in Kilkenny area got the imagine LTE broadband? What's it like and where exactly is the mast located?

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Anybody in Kilkenny area got the imagine LTE broadband? What's it like and where exactly is the mast located?

http://www.imagine.ie/lte-irelands-rural-fibre-speed-coverage/lte-fibre-speed-broadband-kilkenny/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Streaming a match for the first time EVER today
    Sky go app
    Sky kids app

Happy days indeed

ArKl0w wrote: »

Thanks. Took a look at that website. No mention of where the mast is located in Kilkenny?

Thanks. Took a look at that website. No mention of where the mast is located in Kilkenny?

Usually what you do is put your Eircode into the contact pop up and they'll let you know if you're covered by phoning or email in a few days
    They're closed until January 3rd though ,I think
    If you're inside coverage,they'll arrange a call out to test if the signal is strong enough
    If you zoom in on the yellow area in that map it will give you a rough(very rough) idea
    There's a hoot board page on the site that might have the location of the co Kilkenny masts
    There appears to be 3 of them on the map,2 in north Kilkenny and one in the south
    Regardless if they think they can connect you,they'll tell you to what tower it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

TopTec wrote: »
    I'm on the Ballina mast.

TT

Is the mast live already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I've been on it 16 weeks already, lot of the local farmers have swapped onto it to from Eir.... Bonniconlon side of the town.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TopTec wrote: »
    I've been on it 16 weeks already, lot of the local farmers have swapped onto it to from Eir.... Bonniconlon side of the town.

TT

It's nearly full now, how is the speed at peak times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm guessing much like the Athy one (5-25M)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Peak wired speeds vary from 20 meg to 60meg down. Fastest ever was late November, 94meg mid morning. Xmas morning was 24meg down, 6 up. 74 down now.

Most people around here seem to have the Greenpacket(?) router, which has needed updating a few times. I have noticed a reduction in speeds from mid-October but compared to the disaster Eir was this is paradise.

I did have a UK marketing company call me to ask why I left Eir, I am surprised Eir didn't save money and just read the Boards Eir forum instead!!

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

as much stick as this gets, 20Mbit down is still a hell of an improvement for a lot of people! I still think properly implemented FWA, subsidised by the government if necessary, is a realistic way to deliver last mile broadband to rural areas for the next 5-10 years while fibre is being rolled out. Limit the numbers per mast and make sure they have good fibre backhaul and they can provide a good service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Its the little things like having multiple users on at the one time and the net being able to handle light browsing thats nicest of all.

Nothing worse than having 2MB line and barely able to have one person browsing.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its the little things like having multiple users on at the one time and the net being able to handle light browsing thats nicest of all.

Nothing worse than having 2MB line and barely able to have one person browsing.

Tonight I used google chromecast for the first time :)

km79 wrote: »
    Tonight I used google chromecast for the first time :)

How did the Chromecast work out with it? Was there any major stalls or freezing?

How did the Chromecast work out with it? Was there any major stalls or freezing?

Only used it for a small while
    Worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭becksy79

After using imagine (mount mary mast 3km away) the last few days Ive cancelled previous provider.
    On average our speed is 35-55 over WiFi (95 wired)
    Worse speedtest results so far are 10down 2up (over WiFi).
    Some difference to the 8up max we were getting for €45 month.

Test below is on mobile phone with several other devices running at same time.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2497311490

becksy79 wrote: »
    After using imagine (mount mary mast 3km away) the last few days Ive cancelled previous provider.
    On average our speed is 35-55 over WiFi (95 wired)
    Worse speedtest results so far are 10down 2up (over WiFi).
    Some difference to the 8up max we were getting for €45 month.

Test below is on mobile phone with several other devices running at same time.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2497311490

Sounds very good. Sick of 3mb to 4mb download and under 1mb upload for €40 per month. Anytime there is heavy rain or any type of bad weather I lose my broadband connection with my current provider who I've been with for 13 years.
    so im just waiting for Imagine to open up on 3rd January and will be ordering it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭becksy79

Has anyone found any good way to extend the wifi?

I have my Imagine router/modem upstairs in the bedroom, so it's a bit weak downstairs especially for Netflix on the TV (TV can take a cat5 cable directly).

So what would be my best solution? Wifi extender or homeplugs? My house is around 10 years old with good wiring.

Any suggestions very happily accepted :)

I bought these http://euronics.ie/product/tp-link-300mbps-av500-wi-fi-powerline-extender-starter-kit/

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

I'd go for something like this
    TP-Link TL-PA8030P KIT AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Pass Through Powerline Adapter Starter Kit up to 1200 Mbps £74.99 from Amazon.

The throughput will be a bit less than the 1200Mbps stated, but will still be plenty to run a good network downstairs. The passthrough and extra Ethernet ports are a bonus.

Alternatively, if you can run an Ethernet cable downstairs, you could use e.g. an Asus router like ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router, Access Point Mode, Twin USB 3.0 for Media Server, 3G/4G Dongle Support, 802.11AC

Something like that would give you a fine system, with longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I would go for homeplugs cheaper than £ 75.. Imagine will deliver at absolute max 100Mbs, no need for 1200 Mbps throughput, unless you are planning something that requires that kind of throughput on an internal network. I wouldn't even know what would require that kind of throughput. U

Then at the other end just use an old router if you have one to cover your downstairs, there are a few threads in here how to set that up ( in order to extend the imagine network rather than create a separate one)

I have some (older) homeplugs with 300Mbps throughput and I can assure you for netflix, they work perfectly , you should be able to get some for £25 or so. I also stream movies in the house and again they work perfectly.

I have some (older) homeplugs with 300Mbps throughput and I can assure you for netflix, they work perfectly , you should be able to get some for £25 or so. I also stream movies in the house and again they work perfectly.
    Will those stream video to your tv,do you know, from your pc/laptop using something like serviio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Can this thread please get back on track. It's gone completely from what it was originally intended. Thanks

tiny timy wrote: »
    Can this thread please get back on track. It's gone completely from what it was originally intended. Thanks

Imagine are closed until jan 3rd
    In the meantime people are helping other posters get the best set up for their IMAGINE broadband as per thread title

What exactly is the problem with that ?i think it's great that people are being helped get the best form it
    This thread has been a goldmine of info both positive and negative for me

My speeds dipped this morning but back to normal now
    There ya go ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

In the meantime people are helping other posters get the best set up for their IMAGINE broadband as per thread title

What exactly is the problem with that ?i think it's great that people are being helped get the best form it

There ya go ;)

Start a new thread for your wifi extenders, homeplugs, chromecast etc. Nothing to do with the service itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got a call from imagine today. 3 weeks after being cut off. Total joke of a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There ya go ;)
    they are open today

Advertisement