Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Did they say where they were pointing to,what distance and do you have a line of sight?

No. I left him work away. Didn't ask him about the specifics. Was hoping for better results as they said I'm pretty close to the operating mast.

Not sure what exactly will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Having test and hopfully install tomorrow morning, cappataggle mast. Fingers crossed. Sick of 2mb and high pings, unusable around peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Apart from the fact that Imagines speeds are better than awful Eir, I have been pretty negative on Imagine as a company, especially their customer service in particular so in order to balance that I have to say Imagines procedures dealing with an outage today on the Ballina mast was excellent.

1pm lost internet,

1.37pm (just as I was working out how to contact them) - text from Imagine saying their were aware and were trying to establish what was the cause.

3.17pm text from them with update saying the fault had been traced and engineers were running tests.

5.20pm re-connected

5.50pm text from them notifying me of re connection and apologising for the outage.

Can't grumble at that. Well done them.

TT

emm80 wrote: »
    Having test and hopfully install tomorrow morning, cappataggle mast. Fingers crossed. Sick of 2mb and high pings, unusable around peak times.

Not the best start.... Asked for an AM install,because I work most afternoons so they gave me 9am - 1pm.
    They coming at 1pm......

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭vidapura

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    No, Kilkenny. Had an engineer call out 30min ago to conduct signal testing. He said he was getting a steady consistent 30mb download speed.

How did your speed tests go?

The lads arrived yesterday and just ploughed into the install.
    We already had a pole up the side of the house for the satellite so they just put the aerial on that. Suited me fine cos its less holes in the house.

Job done in 15 mins and standing beside the modem with my phone connected to the wifi I got 55 megs.

Last night in the sittingroom downstairs I was getting 35 megs over wifi on my laptop.

I reckon thats all pretty damn good.
    I was only getting 20 megs in town on UPC like..

I was able to watch the rte player without buffering for over an hour so the wife is happy out.

Beats the pants off the 1Meg that is available on the phone line round here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

vidapura wrote: »
    The lads arrived yesterday and just ploughed into the install.
    We already had a pole up the side of the house for the satellite so they just put the aerial on that. Suited me fine cos its less holes in the house.

Job done in 15 mins and standing beside the modem with my phone connected to the wifi I got 55 megs.

Last night in the sittingroom downstairs I was getting 35 megs over wifi on my laptop.

I reckon thats all pretty damn good.
    I was only getting 20 megs in town on UPC like..

I was able to watch the rte player without buffering for over an hour so the wife is happy out.

Beats the pants off the 1Meg that is available on the phone line round here.

Remember to use an Ethernet cable where possible e.g. to a play station x box or tv as it will be faster

Not the best start.... Asked for an AM install,because I work most afternoons so they gave me 9am - 1pm.
    They coming at 1pm......
    Finally came at 2pm..firstly they showed me the map on their phone ,showing my house outside of the coverage area, he wasn't that hopeful.
    They used a 10ft pole and were getting 44mb to their laptop, installed and I'm getting 30-40 over Wi-Fi, delighted with that.

There's 2 networks showing up he said one it's 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz does it matter which I connect to? He said devices can go between both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

There's 2 networks showing up he said one it's 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz does it matter which I connect to? He said devices can go between both?

Try connecting with both, not all phones for instance can connect to the 5 ghz one. Use whichever one gives you the best result for that device.
    A new one on me that Imagine's router can do both 2.4 and 5 ghz.

morgana wrote: »
    Try connecting with both, not all phones for instance can connect to the 5 ghz one. Use whichever one gives you the best result for that device.
    A new one on me that Imagine's router can do both 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Oh yeah mine does -don't know what make it is
    The 5 ghz is faster for me but less range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Very happy so far. Phoned on Tuesday 3rd Jan to place the order, engineer called following day to conduct signal testing, got call at lunchtime today and full installation scheduled for tomorrow Friday.

Very happy with the fast and efficient service thus far. Received a text message this afternoon confirming my install tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Not the best start.... Asked for an AM  install,because I work most afternoons  so they gave me 9am - 1pm.
    They coming at  1pm......
    Finally came at 2pm..firstly they showed me the map on their phone ,showing my house outside of  the coverage area, he wasn't that hopeful.
    They used a 10ft pole and were getting 44mb to their laptop, installed and I'm getting 30-40 over Wi-Fi, delighted with that.

There's 2 networks showing up he said one  it's 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz does it matter which I connect to? He said devices can go between both?

Go with the 2.4 ghz for most of your stuff, as the 5 ghz does not penetrate walls as well. Some of your equipment might pick up the 5 ghz while you are close to the router. The theory is that there should be less potential interference at the 5 ghz level, but that the signal does not travel as far.

Well done on getting a modern router from Imagine. Maybe they have moved to better equipment since Christmas. Which model and make did you get from them?

Enjoy your broadband speed. Have lots of fun:-)

Not sure if model number,they were so late coming I had to rush out to work. I'll get back to you. They did say it was a new model alright.
    How would I know which was the 5ghz and which is the 2.4ghz? They have generic names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not sure if model number,they were so late coming I had to rush out to work. I'll get back to you. They did say it was a new model alright.
    How would I know which was the 5ghz and which is the 2.4ghz? They have generic names.

Look for "5G" in the name
    LTE5G is the 5ghz one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

km79 wrote: »
    Look for "5G" in the name
    LTE5G is the 5ghz one

Don't tell me they used non unique naming....

Sorted thanks all.
    anyone have issues connecting to Android boxes? I can connect, but download speed is horrible,like 0.5mb, but upload is normal at around 3mb?it's a nice bit from the router, but standing beside the Android box with my phone i can get 20mb+ still.. ..would it be anything to do with static or dynamic ip? Imagine is dynamic right? I will prob use homeplugs for it anyway eventually but it still shouldn't be that bad over Wi fi.

Sorted thanks all.
    anyone have issues connecting to Android boxes? I can connect, but download speed is horrible,like 0.5mb, but upload is normal at around 3mb?it's a nice bit from the router, but standing beside the Android box with my phone i can get 20mb+ still.. ..would it be anything to do with static or dynamic ip? Imagine is dynamic right? I will prob use homeplugs for it anyway eventually but it still shouldn't be that bad over Wi fi.

It's unlikely to be any thing to do with static or dynamic ip. I'd try home plugs for a wired connection before going down that route.
    I have a Minix Neo X8h-plus and can connect without a bother via homeplug-Ethernet or wifi. The box is situated at floor level and has a good wifi adapter. Sounds, to me, like a problem with your android box's wifi adapter.

The recommended placing for wifi routers is at table height or higher. What height is your android box placed at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

kesey wrote: »
    It's unlikely to be any thing to do with static or dynamic ip. I'd try home plugs for a wired connection before going down that route.
    I have a Minix Neo X8h-plus and can connect without a bother via homeplug-Ethernet or wifi. The box is situated at floor level and has a good wifi adapter. Sounds, to me, like a problem with your android box's wifi adapter.

The recommended placing for wifi routers is at table height or higher. What height is your android box placed at?

An Android box will more than likely only operate at 10 mb over the NIC.

Don't bother with home plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Also before installing home plugs and paying money for them be sure to check out the spec of NIC's in all of your devices. Some like TV's will only operate at 10 mb.

Router is at table height, albeit in a different room. I'll try it wired and see, if there was a problem with the WiFi adapterof the Android box, wouldn't it affect upload speed also?

Router is at table height, albeit in a different room. I'll try it wired and see, if there was a problem with the WiFi adapterof the Android box, wouldn't it affect upload speed also?
    I was asking about the location of the android box. Your upload speed is better than anything I'm seeing on my system most of the time:-) I'm not suggesting that there is a particular problem with your box's wifi adapter, just noting that some models of android boxes use better parts than others. That is a discussion that would take us into roads and by-roads that might best be served by a separate thread:-)

• Advertisement

I was asking about the location of the android box. Your upload speed is better than anything I'm seeing on my system most of the time:-) I'm not suggesting that there is a particular problem with your box's wifi adapter, just noting that some models of android boxes use better parts than others. That is a discussion that would take us into roads and by-roads that might best be served by a separate thread:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

So first bill came
    First month free as promised and confirmed by email and phone - NO
    And the 100 euro fee is also there . It appears to have been refunded to my CC yday for some reason !
    Awaiting a call back

Yes I'll open a separate thread because the box is picking up my sky WiFi as normal and both routers are about the same distance from from the droidbox.... Odd, will test more.

Apologies for the derail.

"emm80 Yes I'll open a separate  thread because the box is picking up my sky WiFi as normal and both routers are about the same distance from from the droidbox....  Odd, will  test more. 
    Apologies for the derail."

Not a problem with me:-)
    Just a thought: are you using a VPN on the Android box? Having a VPN in the routing loop can slow things down dramatically. I've seen numbers like 15-30%, but no doubt it could be more. If you are using a VPN on the box, consider turning it off, reboot and check your speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Waiting on Imagine since July 2016!! They keep telling us that they are experiencing third party difficulties. Each time we ring them the date keeps being pushed out. If we contact their sales team they tell us the site is live but would only get an installation date for two months time. Anyone else have the same problem? It is extremely offputting. Is it possible that the real reason is that they haven't enough subscribers in our area? Was told there were 200.

"emm80 Yes I'll open a separate  thread because the box is picking up my sky WiFi as normal and both routers are about the same distance from from the droidbox....  Odd, will  test more. 
    Apologies for the derail."

Not a problem with me:-)
    Just a thought: are you using a VPN on the Android box? Having a VPN in the routing loop can slow things down dramatically. I've seen numbers like 15-30%, but no doubt it could be more. If you are using a VPN on the box, consider turning it off, reboot and check your speeds.

If you've the Sky wifi still on that's not a good idea as both could be interfering with each other

ArKl0w wrote: »

If you've the Sky wifi still on that's not a good idea as both could be interfering with each other

Good point ArKl0w.

emm80, if you have an Android phone download Wifi Analyser, or download it on your Android box. Check which channels each of your routers is on. If closer than 6 bands, move one so that there is a minimum of 6 bands between them. You should be able to access either or both of the Routers as Admin, depending on whether Imagine or Sky gave you the Username and Password for their router. If not give Imagine a call and ask them for the Admin Username and Password.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I only turned on the sky briefly to see was it working over WiFi, which it is. I'm at work till late today so I'll get stuck in then.
    I'll download that and run it, see what it says.
    Imagine didn't give me a username or password for router, think I read on here that they don't want you accessing the router for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

thehouses wrote: »
    Waiting on Imagine since July 2016!! They keep telling us that they are experiencing third party difficulties. Each time we ring them the date keeps being pushed out. If we contact their sales team they tell us the site is live but would only get an installation date for two months time. Anyone else have the same problem? It is extremely offputting. Is it possible that the real reason is that they haven't enough subscribers in our area? Was told there were 200.

What mast?

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Its the one in north tipperary.

Advertisement