Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Is anyone having any problems with the home phone ?

If I ring my home phone and answer , my mobile will continue ringing as if the phone was never answered .

Have tried two different home phones and problem persists.

If I restart the router, the phone will work fine for about a day and then stop working . Sometimes I won't be able to dial numbers and others time it won't answer , when I click answer .

Only started happening when I got connected with imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OverRide wrote: »

Still last on the Netflix index though.

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Still last on the Netflix index though.

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/ireland/

I wonder , if is it MBps, not Mbps? ( bytes vs bits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

thehouses wrote: »
    Its the one in north tipperary.

I have the same situation. Signed up middle of October. Install currently pushed out till mid January because of "3rd party issues".

Kinda joke when you read here about people getting installed in a weeks time.

At least they refunded the 100 signing fee because of the delay. If you didn't get that yourself thehouses, ask them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You can have all the speed you want, if your DNS servers are from 1982 and go down all the time then speed is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

volker81k wrote: »
    I have the same situation. Signed up middle of October. Install currently pushed out till mid January because of "3rd party issues".

At least they refunded the 100 signing fee because of the delay. If you didn't get that yourself thehouses, ask them for it.

You should ring them up again. I was given a definite definite date of the end of February yesterday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Curiosity question: when I rang them they told me that that 340 ish slots of the legendary 400 were gone. What did they tell you?

They told me that they have 200 people waiting. A lot must have cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

alec76 wrote: »
    I wonder , if is it MBps, not Mbps? ( bytes vs bits)

It's Mbps. 720p streaming only uses around that much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

thehouses wrote: »
    They told me that they have 200 people waiting. A lot must have cancelled.

End of Feb? Ah here now.
    30 minimum still sounds better than the 2 I had before with Vodafone.
    I'll ring them next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I phoned on Tuesday this week and got fully installed yesterday (Friday). Why such a delay for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

This is likely due to Speedtest.net's methodology:
    While many ISPs offer various service tiers, our aim is to show who is fastest by showing the top performance achieved by each ISP. To do so, we calculate the 90th percentile download performance, or Top 10%, for each ISP's Speedtest results. This accurately represents the customers who subscribe to faster service tiers and provides an accurate view of the top-end performance of a given ISP. Keep in mind, these customers are generally paying a bit more for this higher performance service.

We rank ISPs based on their Top 10% download performance, but also share upload performance for those who are curious.
    As Imagine LTE does not do service tiers, the reported speed would be the average of the fastest 10% of its recorded speed tests. So with Imagine (or any wireless ISP), this would be the average of the tests run off-peak assuming at least 1 in 10 tests were run early in the day or with low load on the network/mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

editorsean wrote: »

As Imagine LTE does not do service tiers, the reported speed would be the average of the fastest 10% of its recorded speed tests. So with Imagine (or any wireless ISP), this would be the average of the tests run off-peak assuming at least 1 in 10 tests were run early in the day or with low load on the network/mast.

It seems a flawed testing methodology. There should at least be some weighting given to peak time tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

editorsean wrote: »

That is an extremely flawed model for testing. Users like arkLOWs continuous high tests therefore are used for working out their high operator rank whereas the many like me that have had much lower speeds wouldn't be taken into account in this method. In fairness operators like imagine would not be complaining of this way of assessing their speeds as flawed as it is.

It seems a flawed testing methodology. There should at least be some weighting given to peak time tests.

While I see the point Sean is making,we don't know when the imagine speed tests are being done on the whole,it might be 2% or 92% during the day
    You also have HUGELY variable speeds at different homes on land lines too which is just as equal a drawback for comparison purposes on landline broadband as lack of peak time weights in wireless in my opinion

So much of a muchness really
    All academic once most ftth are connected as those should race ahead

Doubtless imagine will be for sale by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    So first bill came
    First month free as promised and confirmed by email and phone - NO
    And the 100 euro fee is also there . It appears to have been refunded to my CC yday for some reason !
    Awaiting a call back

They got back to me
    First month will be free as promised
    There is some confusion over the 100 euro
    Finance dept sorting it out hopefully by Monday

irishchris wrote: »
    That is an extremely flawed model for testing. Users like arkLOWs continuous high tests therefore are used for working out their high operator rank whereas the many like me that have had much lower speeds wouldn't be taken into account in this method. In fairness operators like imagine would not be complaining of this way of assessing their speeds as flawed as it is.
    If I remember correctly,you had little or no speed at all shortly into your time with them and no or slow comeback for whatever reason
    Oodles of dsl lines and mobile users have similar stories to tell about their various bad experiences
    In fact the talk to fora on boards especially teleco ones are riddled with 'I'm never doing business with x y or z again '
    But they're rare or we'd have no telecom infrastructure at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Idont understand the need for 2 engineers for installation. I had to find broadband elsewhere 1 man came out and got up on roof and did the whole job. This one engineer also performed work the imagine guys refused to do. I think it was just too hard of a job for them here. The new company I am with answer the phone within 60seconds which is nice after being on hold for up to 40minutes with imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

whelan2 wrote: »
    Idont understand the need for 2 engineers for installation. I had to find broadband elsewhere 1 man came out and got up on roof and did the whole job. This one engineer also performed work the imagine guys refused to do. I think it was just too hard of a job for them here. The new company I am with answer the phone within 60seconds which is nice after being on hold for up to 40minutes with imagine

To be fair to them its like that with most companies, i have a new build with external insulation and its a nightmare to get anything installed. Imagine got it done with little hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Mine is down all day.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Idont understand the need for 2 engineers for installation.

Health and safety. Routinely sending one man up on a roof is asking for trouble. It's also actually a lot more efficient in many cases to have two people on a job, to the extent that a 2-man crew can get more done in a day than two solo workers, with much lower risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

I got my LTE installation this morning, and was told that i'll get speeds of around 40 mb. Its close enough to those speeds wirelessly but for some reason when i try to use a homeplug to connect devices through ethernet on the other side of the house (None exceeding 2mb). Does anyone know why my wired speeds might be so bad?

PS. Tested wired on a PC, PS4 and PS3, none exceeded 2mb. Also the homeplug was used on my last internet and I was getting the best internet through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Have you tested on a laptop wired directly by cable to imagines router?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

Nope, i'll try that when I get home and report back, thanks. That'll let me know if the problem is from the homeplug or another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

For some reason Imagine tend to not like roof installs, this is going back years to the wimax days. Lots of gable and even under the eave installs.

They hire crews quickly on new rollouts so it's a bit of a mixed bag who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MarkoF

Mystery666 wrote: »
    I got my LTE installation this morning, and was told that i'll get speeds of around 40 mb. Its close enough to those speeds wirelessly but for some reason when i try to use a homeplug to connect devices through ethernet on the other side of the house (None exceeding 2mb). Does anyone know why my wired speeds might be so bad?

PS. Tested wired on a PC, PS4 and PS3, none exceeded 2mb. Also the homeplug was used on my last internet and I was getting the best internet through it.

I also had these type of speeds with a home plug setup.
    It turned out to be an issue with 2 distinct electrical circuits in the house.
    When both homeplugs are on the same circuit, I get 50 to 60 mb, on separate circuits I get 1 to 2 mb.
    You may have a similar situation.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eskerman

Im on the Trim side of Enfield - near Baconstown and I moved from a very bad EIR broadband (around 2.2MBPS down and 0.4MBPS up) to Vodafone and it went from bad to worse -I was lucky to be getting 1.4 down and up was 0.1 maybe 0.3. The contract kicked off end of Oct and I was on the phone to them every day for a month - they extended the cooling off period and then tried to hook me into a contract in Jan - I eventually got a release from contract and I have my UAN so I am free to look at options

I am about 6km from Enfield exchange and despite the so called EIR roll our map about fibre I can't get any preliminary dates even to the year from Eir - nobody knows and you can't speak to the dept who are responsible = total frustration.

I tried Vodafone Mobile Broadband 4G and it was good - 25/35Mbps down however the data limit was 150GB for €60/month - I need at least 250GB/month and thats not heavy usage in todays market - couple of tablets and laptops would use up 150GB easily and I also need broadband for work

I am exporing this Imagine broadband as my only option and was wondering if anybody can give me some feedback - good and bad / warts and all and especially in the Enfield location which I understand is fed from Cappagh mast

Thanks in advance
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

eskerman wrote: »
    Im on the Trim side of Enfield - near Baconstown and I moved from a very bad EIR broadband (around 2.2MBPS down and 0.4MBPS up) to Vodafone and it went from bad to worse -I was lucky to be getting 1.4 down and up was 0.1 maybe 0.3. The contract kicked off end of Oct and I was on the phone to them every day for a month - they extended the cooling off period and then tried to hook me into a contract in Jan - I eventually got a release from contract and I have my UAN so I am free to look at options

I am about 6km from Enfield exchange and despite the so called EIR roll our map about fibre I can't get any preliminary dates even to the year from Eir - nobody knows and you can't speak to the dept who are responsible = total frustration.

I tried Vodafone Mobile Broadband 4G and it was good - 25/35Mbps down however the data limit was 150GB for €60/month - I need at least 250GB/month and thats not heavy usage in todays market - couple of tablets and laptops would use up 150GB easily and I also need broadband for work

I am exporing this Imagine broadband as my only option and was wondering if anybody can give me some feedback - good and bad / warts and all and especially in the Enfield location which I understand is fed from Cappagh mast

Thanks in advance
    Paul

I understand the frustration ..... but the info you seek is commercially sensitive and those who might know are not available to the general public, and if they were would not be allowed divulge the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eskerman

I understand the frustration ..... but the info you seek is commercially sensitive and those who might know are not available to the general public, and if they were would not be allowed divulge the info.

Thanks for your input - the problem I have is EIR offer a service to the public so its not a lot to expect some sort of timescale - be it months or years, then people can make choices and decisions based on good information and also to avoid signing up for 18/24 month contracts - If I know a service was available in circa 3/6/9 months I may decide to wait and struggle with my 1.3mbps download

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

eskerman wrote: »

Thanks in advance
    Paul

How's the 3 network coverage where you live? You can get a router from them and also ask them for a €20 all you can eat data SIM card for a phone put it into their router and you'll have unlimited data on that. It's a good solution if you've no other options.

Advertisement