Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I signed up for it, and the guys came out within 3 or 4 days to install it. Unfortunately, there are too many trees between me and their mast, so I couldn't get a signal. So I'm still stuck with what laughingly passes for broadband out here in the sticks (2mbps). My road is on that rollout map, but I'm very dubious as to whether we'll ever see fibre brodband out here, never mind in 2020. Ridiculous state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Mystery666 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the wireless range of the router awful? It's fine on my pc cause its wired, but everyone else in the house is complaining of slow speeds

I think it depends a lot on the router supplied at the time of installation. There seems to be 3 or 4 different makes. I have a Greenpacket, I think it is called, no markings on it. It transmits about the same distance as the Eir one I had but has had to be updated by Imagine, apparently, to improve my download speed.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Still delighted with speeds and the service.
    Happy I took the risk .
    Customer service /financial dept is a shambles though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Does anyone else find the wireless range of the router awful? It's fine on my pc cause its wired, but everyone else in the house is complaining of slow speeds

Yep the wireless speeds are poor if I venture more the 10 metres away, I use a repeater to over come this

• Registered Users Posts: 16 feeler

volker81k wrote: »
    The same situation here. Signed up in Oct and waiting since. When I rang them they said already 340 people have signed up for the Tipp mast - must have been all sales talk.

At least they refunded the €100 signing fee.
    They rang today to say they where moving the site to a different location and would start installing the end of February. Never offered me any kind of refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Wifi is poor enough. I just use the homeplugs in that have wifi as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

feeler wrote: »
    The same situation here. Signed up in Oct and waiting since. When I rang them they said already 340 people have signed up for the Tipp mast - must have been all sales talk.

At least they refunded the €100 signing fee.
    They rang today to say they where moving the site to a different location and would start installing the end of February.  Never offered me any kind of refund.
    The same for me. But they didn't want to confirm that the end of Feb is definitely.
    They didn't tell you by any chance where the new high site will be? Not that we are waiting another month just to be told that there won't be any LoS anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 feeler

The same for me. But they didn't want to confirm that the end of Feb is definitely.
    They didn't tell you by any chance where the new high site will be? Not that we are waiting another month just to be told that there won't be any LoS anymore.

No, they he just said that I still be in an excellent coverage area and they were contacting everyone in the tountinna site.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

I'm having a weird problem with my router, whenever I try to download torrents, all other devices on the network lose internet access, however the device which is downloading continues to download the torrents. Stopping it does not fix connections for any other devices, I have to reboot my router to resolve. Very annoying, anyone else experience that?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

LuvSpudz wrote: »
    I'm having a weird problem with my router, whenever I try to download torrents, all other devices on the network lose internet access, however the device which is downloading continues to download the torrents. Stopping it does not fix connections for any other devices, I have to reboot my router to resolve. Very annoying, anyone else experience that?

Probably a connection tracking issue. Poorly-designed torrent clients will open so many connections that the router's connection tracking table fills up. Try finding a setting in the torrent client to limit the number of simultaneous connections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Probably a connection tracking issue. Poorly-designed torrent clients will open so many connections that the router's connection tracking table fills up. Try finding a setting in the torrent client to limit the number of simultaneous connections.

+1 and also limit your client so it doesn't max your upstream bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

oscarBravo wrote: »
    +1 and also limit your client so it doesn't max your upstream bandwidth

Thanks guys, I'll give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

MarkoF wrote: »
    I also had these type of speeds with a home plug setup.
    It turned out to be an issue with 2 distinct electrical circuits in the house.
    When both homeplugs are on the same circuit, I get 50 to 60 mb, on separate circuits I get 1 to 2 mb.
    You may have a similar situation.

Mark
    Kudos for this man, I must have missed this. It had a better affect in a different socket, much have been on a different circuit.
    It was also better when plugged directly into the socket as opposed to a adapter.
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

jay93 wrote: »
    How's the 3 network coverage where you live? You can get a router from them and also ask them for a €20 all you can eat data SIM card for a phone put it into their router and you'll have unlimited data on that. It's a good solution if you've no other options.

Am in an area with no line broadband, I tried imagine but unfortunately I have a rookery right behind me with a lot of trees so imagine won't work, I have Vodafone 4g now which gives me a constant 15mbs download which is more than I need for SkyQ and a TV smart box am using about 100gb a month, paying Vodafone 55e for 150gb package

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Croftman

Anyone around the Ballybrittas/Vicarstown area of Laois sign up yet? Getting 2mb max with Sky at the minute. Mobile reception is near non-existent indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

kesey wrote: »
    You need to disable DHCP in your Netgear WNDR4000 router, 
    Assign it a fixed IP address (e.g. 192.168.20.253  in the same address range as your Imagine router) out of the range of IP addresses normally allocated by your Imagine router
    Set the security type on your WNDR4000 to be the same as on your Imagine Router. 
    Set the Wifi broadcast channel on your WNDR4000 to be at least 6 channels away from that of your Imagine router, more if possible viz the Imagine router if on Channel 1, set the WNDR4000 to 11, 12 or 13
    Set the SSID on your WNDR4000 to match that used by your Imagine router.
    Don't forget to save the re-configured information:-)
    Connect an ethernet cable from your Patch/Switch pad to a LAN port (not a WAN port) on your WNDR4000.
    Hopefully, all will run like a dream for you. If not, we can try again.

Got it working by just turning changing Netgear Router to AP and allowing it to dynamically assign IPs.
    Only problem with this is that I cant access the Imagine Router to determine the IP of my Netgear and therefore log onto that!

See attached screenshot of info I need to populate if I want to apply a static IP to Netgear router.
    These settting didnt work...suggestions for different values?
    My current IP is 192.168.22.4 (Thats allowing imagine generate ip for netgear).

On another note - my speeds are extremely inconsistent for last two days. (Connected directly to imagine router and standing beside it)
    One minute they will be 60/6 and 20 minutes later down to 6/1!
    Struggling to pass 8/2 from 7pm until 11pm.
    I'm connected to the Cappagh mast in north kildare.

NetgearSetup.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Just wondering if possible how would I get the fixed IP?

Also port forwarding and all of that for the router. Any info docs?

Nice one,
    Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if possible how would I get the fixed IP?

Also port forwarding and all of that for the router. Any info docs?

Nice one,
    Gary

Contact CS and request static IP and port forwarding. They have to do it as they do not allow customers access to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭randombar

morgana wrote: »
    Contact CS and request static IP and port forwarding. They have to do it as they do not allow customers access to the router.

Nice one, best way to contact CS? Tried emailing them but didn't get much back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Ring them. Go for customer care rather then technical. Let them pass you through to technical support. Didn't take long at all last time I rang them (about 2 weeks ago). You can use 01 4375000 to avoid silly charges for the 1850 number. And yea, mail support is rather sluggish, can easily take a week or more for a response. They do respond but usually (in my case at least) by the time the response trundles in I have already rung them and the issue is already history, :P

• Advertisement

Guys, just off the phone to technical support and my blood pressure is through the roof!

The most useless excuse for a technical support I have ever ecountered.

I've been getting very very poor speeds in the evenings the last week or so - 3Mb Down / 1Mb Up / 100+ pings.
    The speeds can be erratic during the day also - anything from 5Mb/5Mb/100ping+ to 60Mb/6Mb/20ping.

Technical support guy said that the radio signal he could check remotely and it seemed fine.

He suggested there may be interference with wifi signal in house.
    So I turned everything off except Imagine router and tested speeds again with my phone and macbook, standing right beside router.
    Still the same poor speeds.

He then went on to claim that the are not responsible for the wireless signal in house - that they only provide the internet to the radio!
    I explained to him that the router is supplied by them and it's mandatory to use it where the cable comes in from outside.
    I explained that if I'm standing right beside the router and it's still only providing 3Mb that either:
    a) Their router is banjaxed
    b) There is something wrong with radio outside
    c) Something wrong with mast or over subscribed

He just went around in circles saying they are not responsible for the wireless signal in house! That I should use a direct ethernet connection to the router!
    I asked him is it Imagine's policy that every device in the house should be wired directly to router including my phone!
    He went around and around and around in his merry little circle! While I got angrier and angrier!

I got a strong sense that they were conveniently trying to deflect the blame onto wifi been unreliable with so many unknowns in his own words.

I asked can someone call out to look at the router and he said no.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do. Cancelling and demanding all installation fees back is my last resort but may have to.

I am going to get a lend of laptop to check wired speed (Macbook doesnt have port).
    Although I did check speeds using ps4 and they were same (Imagine router to switch to Netgear router to PS4 all wired).

Anyone else having issues on the North Kildare Mast in Cappagh?

Ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rodge123 wrote: »
    He then went on to claim that the are not responsible for the wireless signal in house - that they only provide the internet to the radio!

That I should use a direct ethernet connection to the router!
    I asked him is it Imagine's policy that every device in the house should be wired directly to router including my phone!

Wifi is your problem. Not theirs. Same with every ISP.

Connect with ethernet, verify if the problem is theirs or yours and then troubleshoot appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wireless is your own concern as it is susceptible to various interferences inside your home or from your neighbours.

ED E wrote: »
    Wifi is your problem. Not theirs. Same with every ISP.

Connect with ethernet, verify if the problem is theirs or yours and then troubleshoot appropriately.

Tested directly by going through switch to my netgear to ps4...same poor speeds.
    Tested it wireless from my netgear also...same poor speeds (Used to get over 60mb wireless when using this router when renting in old place.)

Living in the sticks, only neighbour has nothing more than a TV in terms of technology.

I've turned everything in house off except Imagines router to verify.

I'll get laptop with port and do wired connection test tomorrow.
    I honestly think speeds will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Im also off the Cappagh mast and speeds were erratic last night with the wind but that was due to pole swaying in the gale.

I use my own Wifi AP and just have the Imagine device bridged to my own firewall and router. I did try the Imagine wifi when it was first installed and all I experienced was an extremely erratic connection sitting just below the router so I wouldnt have much faith in it. Wired to my own AP though has been rock solid.

claytonie wrote: »
    Im also off the Cappagh mast and speeds were erratic last night with the wind but that was due to pole swaying in the gale.

I use my own Wifi AP and just have the Imagine device bridged to my own firewall and router. I did try the Imagine wifi when it was first installed and all I experienced was an extremely erratic connection sitting just below the router so I wouldnt have much faith in it. Wired to my own AP though has been rock solid.

I also have my Netgear router setup as AP..but same slow speeds.
    I dont suppose you had them do any config changes for you? (Static IP or anything?)

You able to tell me your dns ips?

How far are you from mast roughly? I'm about 7km with a clear line of sight.

rodge123 wrote: »
    I also have my Netgear router setup as AP..but same slow speeds.
    I dont suppose you had them do any config changes for you? (Static IP or anything?)

You able to tell me your dns ips?

How far are you from mast roughly? I'm about 7km with a clear line of sight.

Config changes were done at install to have a static IP set. Using both Google DNS and a smartDNS proxy

And I just realise that I think the guys gave me wrong info Its looks like Dunmurry is closer and what im connected too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

claytonie wrote: »

Hi, when you connected the imagine device to your sonic wall and router, did you switch off their wireless?, how? I've a similar set-up and didn't switch it off and I think the wireless could be interfering with the speeds I'm getting from the access points.

• Advertisement

searay wrote: »
    Hi, when you connected the imagine device to your sonic wall and router, did you switch off their wireless?, how? I've a similar set-up and didn't switch it off and I think the wireless could be interfering with the speeds I'm getting from the access points.

I didn't have the Imagine wifi disabled but their AP was set on channel 11 so I changed mine to channel 6 so there was no overlap.

Advertisement