Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

searay wrote: »
    Hi, when you connected the imagine device to your sonic wall and router, did you switch off their wireless?, how? I've a similar set-up and didn't switch it off and I think the wireless could be interfering with the speeds I'm getting from the access points.

They will turn off the wifi on their router for you if you call them.
    They done it for me to rule out any interference, didnt make any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It's almost definitely not a wifi issue and I would say the tech support guy realised this but they still have to jump through their own hoops before they can escalate.

Anytime you are calling tech support, be sure that you are ready to do a test with a wired connection or you won't get very far.

All the same, he should have made it clearer that the next step is to test with a wired connection and he can't escalate until you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

If it was wireless only problem then why is his WIRED ps4 test also showing low speeds?

Let us know how you get on with your pc test.I had similar experience as you.great speeds to begin with but then sank to 3-5mb at peak times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

irishchris wrote: »
    If it was wireless only problem then why is his WIRED ps4 test also showing low speeds?

Let us know how you get on with your pc test.I had similar experience as you.great speeds to begin with but then sank to 3-5mb at peak times

You'd need to know exactly what he means
    How is he testing? Can the PlayStation test speed and is it reliable or a like for like with a straight direct Ethernet connection to a laptop from the imagine router
    No point testing any other way as you need to rule out ALL third party potential causes

Also it's a different house to where he was getting the 60Mb before,you can't compare houses

So back to Ed's advice it is then and test from imagines router
    If that's slow then there's a problem at their end

OverRide wrote: »
    You'd need to know exactly what he means
    How is he testing? Can the PlayStation test speed and is it reliable or a like for like with a straight direct Ethernet connection to a laptop from the imagine router
    No point testing any other way as you need to rule out ALL third party potential causes

Also it's a different house to where he was getting the 60Mb before,you can't compare houses

So back to Ed's advice it is then and test from imagines router
    If that's slow then there's a problem at their end

It's the same house I'm in where I used to get 60Mb (Got it installed before we fully moved in).

I'll test it tomorrow from imagine router to latop with ethernet cable.
    But based on everything I've tried so far - I think it's highly likely there is some problem on their end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Nearly 3 months installed and no problems to date, 50/60 through home plugs at all devices. Has hit 75/85 on occasion at off peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Gonna give them a call again this evening.
    Speed in the evenings has gone right down, and at times appears to get so saturated that it becomes unusable ( i thought it was DNS issues) - but i also notice when that happens inevitably the modem will reboot itself..... red light, then starts to come back up. It happened last night at approx 11.15pm, heard the CLICK from the modem and saw the red light. After 10 mins of it trying to come up by itself i had to power cycle it myself and it finally came up about 4/5 mins later.

Not good enough to be honest - not sure if i have a dodgy router, but i do think they've oversold on the mast i'm connected to.

irishchris wrote: »

So as I suspected, speeds are also poor with a wired connection.
    Getting anywhere from 4Mb/1Mb to 9Mb/3Mb with pings between 50 and 90.
    That was from 9 to 11 this evening.

rodge123 wrote: »
    So as I suspected, speeds are also poor with a wired connection.
    Getting anywhere from 4Mb/1Mb to 9Mb/3Mb with pings between 50 and 90.
    That was from 9 to 11 this evening.

You need to get onto them so
    Can you post a screenshot of the wired test?
    I hope you've better luck than I had when I got onto Eir about my speeds going from 3 to 1Mb

No such problems here last night
    58Mb download 7 up and a ping of 19 at 930 pm last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

In typical fashion, after being stuck with 3MB Eircom DSL for years, and only 2 months after signing up for Nova in my area, I get a text from Imagine saying they're now available in my area also! Great complaint to have, and fantastic to see broadband moving again in the countryside. I have no problems with Nova, although the speed can be variable it's always been above what Eircom could provide, and is most reliable during the day when I need it to be (I work from home a couple of days a week). Imagine is tempting though - 3x Nova top speed (I'm getting 18MB on Novas 20MB package) for the same price.
    Given Imagine have limited space on their masts (400 for the new mast in my area), I'm keen to not miss out.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience switching from Nova to Imagine, and how they've found it?

Just to re-iterate I've no problems with Nova at all (customer support is excellent), but I'd also like to get the best value for money. There'll inevitably be some contract overlap if I do get Imagine, but when asked Nova said I could reduce my existing package costs without the existing 6 month contract being invalidated. I also confirmed with Imagine that I don't have to sign up if I'm not happy with the speed when the installer arrives on site.

• Advertisement

OverRide wrote: »
    You need to get onto them so
    Can you post a screenshot of the wired test?
    I hope you've better luck than I had when I got onto Eir about my speeds going from 3 to 1Mb

No such problems here last night
    58Mb download 7 up and a ping of 19 at 930 pm last night

Screenshot attached.

Spoke to technical support again this evening.
    Told him my speeds with a wired connection.
    He explained that I must be close to mast as my radio signals are excellent.

He asked how the speeds I were getting were effecting me!
    I told him that at times Netflix struggles as does online gaming on PS4.
    He explained that he would apply some settings to try optimize things!

No speed improvements this evening.

I'll be calling again tomorrow and asking for speeds reasonably close to the 30Mb they insisted I have on installation.
    I might call around to a few neighbours down the road at the weekend and ask them how their speeds are.

Anyone else on Cappagh Mast in North Kildare?

WiredSpeed.png

rodge123 wrote: »

No speed improvements this evening.

I'll be calling again tomorrow and asking for speeds reasonably close to the 30Mb they insisted I have on installation.
    I might call around to a few neighbours down the road at the weekend and ask them how their speeds are.

Thats what I would do
    Try insisting on a modem swap
    If they've circa 30+ sites with say 3 to 400 on them,that's 12000 subscribers Or more so some of them going wrong is not just likely it's a certainty

This is the problem with Imagine,they're so focused on switching people on at the moment that they seem to have little resources problem solving
    I see for example according to Facebook the crew that installed me are down in Kerry this week,they seem to have most of their crews down there at the moment
    Speaking of Facebook,there's people on there reporting in some areas that Imagine are telling them there are no more spaces left on their mast so they won't be connected

Your ultimate short term option is to leave if the service is worse than an alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just wondering if anyone had any experience switching from Nova to Imagine, and how they've found it?

I've said this before a few times but I moved from Nova to Imagine when they arrived in our area back in October. Everything was great with Nova for 6 months and then it just fell apart. Had one of the worst support experiences ever with one of their reps who just denied we had a problem for 4 weeks. You'd eventually get it sorted, but on average every 3 or four months it'd just fall apart for a week or two.

There are some excellent reps in there, but they never seemed to hang around. Used dread having to phone and getting my old friend. It was borderline useless in two months before leaning. Nova to their credit installed a new large dish and raised it up a bit more but that didn't resolve the issues of "interference in the area". It's still up on our chimney.

Given that when things were good we'd be getting 6-8 down at best, and the on-going issues, the offer of Imagine when they arrived was very appealing. Wasn't keen on their reputation though. I'd say we've had two bad evenings in the time we've been with them. Otherwise excellent. Here's a test I just did.

6015878935.png

edit to say: Speeds in the last month or so are much faster than when they installed. I usually got 50ish off peak then. Funny, as I was cautiously watching our neighbours switching over (they've all left Nova) and picturing all my lovely bandwidth been swallowed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Feeling depressed here looking at the post above.

Had Imagine installers out this morning to do a site survey to connect me. Only got 1 out of 15 so they wouldn't install. Im 22 kms away from the mast apparently and there's a hill and some trees in my way? I was told that LOS was not an issue when I was being sold the product but that seems to have been bullsh1t. So, I'll have to keep my Vodafone 3g connection that is gone crap lately. Only getting 6-10 Mbps since before Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

cabledude wrote: »
    Feeling depressed here looking at the post above.

Had Imagine installers out this morning to do a site survey to connect me. Only got 1 out of 15 so they wouldn't install. Im 22 kms away from the mast apparently and there's a hill and some trees in my way? I was told that LOS was not an issue when I was being sold the product but that seems to have been bullsh1t. So, I'll have to keep my Vodafone 3g connection that is gone crap lately. Only getting 6-10 Mbps since before Xmas.

6 to 10Mbps isn't crap I think. I decided not to get Imagine and I'm a stone throw from new mast. My max speed is 6.4Mbps but it's unlimited. I've no problems steaming HD content from Netflix and other sources. I use a scheduler at night to download any content I need without any fear of warning emails. To be honest I would probably never come near the 20gb daily limit but if I had to download a digital PS4 game which I did at xmas at a wooping 100gb, it would take me same time to download with imagine over the course of a few days. Now to be fair that's infrequent.

I read posts back people advising people to lower their settings on Netflix etc. I find completely defends the purpose of have 70Mbps broadband. Just fooling yourselves really. I've been absolutely dreaming of having fast internet for years, and was the first one signing up for interest and must have rang them 10 times for updates but the strict cap they have with warnings emails. I just know I'd be worried the whole time with household usage.

6 to 10Mbps isn't crap I think. I decided not to get Imagine and I'm a stone throw from new mast. My max speed is 6.4Mbps but it's unlimited. I've no problems steaming HD content from Netflix and other sources. I use a scheduler at night to download any content I need without any fear of warning emails. To be honest I would probably never come near the 20gb daily limit but if I had to download a digital PS4 game which I did at xmas at a wooping 100gb, it would take me same time to download with imagine over the course of a few days. Now to be fair that's infrequent.

I read posts back people advising people to lower their settings on Netflix etc. I find completely defends the purpose of have 70Mbps broadband. Just fooling yourselves really. I've been absolutely dreaming of having fast internet for years, and was the first one signing up for interest and must have rang them 10 times for updates but the strict cap they have with warnings emails. I just know I'd be worried the whole time with household usage.
    But it is. We have trouble loading social media pages on our devices at times. We cannot stream movies or TV shows on our TV as the quality is so poor. We don't live in the 1970's for the love of god.

As I said earlier, I have been with VF 3g for a while now. I originally got a 4G device and it was brilliant. Then around 6 weeks ago it started giving hassle. Replaced the device, SIM card and VF reset the settings on their end. I was getting 20-25 Mbps no hassle. Now I'm lucky to get 10. 6 is typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Maybe try 2 connections,that would give you 40 gigs a day or 1200 gigs a month for less than €100 a month ex vat
    I don't know if imagine would allow that but you could try one in the company name and another in your personal name
    Downside is 2 connection fee's

However as reported here Imagine don't charge you for going over the 20 gig a day,they just slow your connection to 6Mb but reset it back to normal at midnight on the day you go over
    So really if you can get it,it's an awful lot better than what you have

Can you, and anyone else confirm that 6mb is the actually throttled point? I'm always afraid to overdownload incase of throttling, but if I was throttled to 6mb I wouldnt have a problem at all as that's still pretty fast compared to what I was getting before Imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

NakQuada wrote: »
    Can you, and anyone else confirm that 6mb is the actually throttled point? I'm always afraid to overdownload incase of throttling, but if I was throttled to 6mb I wouldnt have a problem at all as that's still pretty fast compared to what I was getting before Imagine

In the early days of this thread I am sure a few people reported being throttled back to 1 meg until midnight... I don't think anyone was ever given the cast iron figure and also a few reported going way over the cap and not being throttled.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

cabledude wrote: »
    But it is. We have trouble loading social media pages on our devices at times. We cannot stream movies or TV shows on our TV as the quality is so poor

I don't have any issues like that. If you're using apps that allow free streaming well yes you will have issues or streaming live stuff like iptv. I use RD with my media and Netflix and I can stream HD no problem. I also pick h265 formats for less size and 1080p quality without issues. If you're having problems loading social media pages it may be that your internet isn't stable and getting high pings.

TopTec wrote: »
    In the early days of this thread I am sure a few people reported being throttled back to 1 meg until midnight... I don't think anyone was ever given the cast iron figure and also a few reported going way over the cap and not being throttled.

TT

I was throttled yesterday and was getting 6 down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was throttled yesterday and was getting 6 down.

Did you get an email first

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

km79 wrote: »

Am curious about this question too

I don't have any issues like that. If you're using apps that allow free streaming well yes you will have issues or streaming live stuff like iptv. I use RD with my media and Netflix and I can stream HD no problem. I also pick h265 formats for less size and 1080p quality without issues. If you're having problems loading social media pages it may be that your internet isn't stable and getting high pings.
    The pings are normally 35-50. Which is ok for mobile broadband.

Whats RD?

I use Cody and Shoebox a fair bit and sometimes they work fine. I'm the same as you in that I use the lowest possible resolution to watch my stuff. I am annoyed I suppose because for the first 10-11 months of the contract with VF the speeds were excellent. They fell over a cliff in December and havent come back since, despite numerous calls to VF customer and technical support.

They have recommended I buy a VF 35004G device now. It is bigger and will have a larger internal aerial. Also, you can attach an external aerial if the coverage isn't up to scratch. I am using a normal dongle at the minute and my own phone HTC M8 smashes it for coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cody lel. Its Kodi.

ED E wrote: »
    Cody lel. Its Kodi.
    I know. I'm unsure of forum rules on discussing 'questionable' online activity. Thought I'd use an incorrect spelling to keep the mods off my back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kodi is just a player. Nothing wromg with that. Same with plex.

ED E wrote: »
    Kodi is just a player. Nothing wromg with that. Same with plex.
    Plex? Never heard of that one.

I'm after dragging this thread off topic. I'll be shot!!!!

km79 wrote: »

Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive used just over 15gb of data in the last 24 hours. Its only 10.30pm. Im now getting an Imagine warning webpage appear telling me I e used 15gb representing 75% of my allowance. Fine, except I cant do anything online. It keeps putting that page up no matter what I do. What a joke. Having to use mobile to post this. Here is a photo of my screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive used just over 15gb of data in the last 24 hours. Its only 10.30pm. Im now getting an Imagine warning webpage appear telling me I e used 15gb representing 75% of my allowance. Fine, except I cant do anything online. It keeps putting that page up no matter what I do. What a joke. Having to use mobile to post this.

Advertisement